The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Went to watch Avengers last night.

I'd avoided reading up anything for the past month to make sure nothing was spoiled for me. I did accidently venture into this thread last night and saw Chindie's "Just got back from Avengers, **** incredible" comment and quickly closed the browser!

I always considered Iron Man a top movie, 9/10 kind of thing. But now I will have to find a new way to rate movies, because that would mean Avengers is up around the 12-13/10 mark! I'm literally lost for words in knowing what to say about it. Chindie summed it up very well a few pages back and I can not echo enough the ask others to go see it if they're on the fence. It really is that amazing to me. Even though it's nearly 2 and a half hours long, I wanted more and more.

It really is what a great comic book movie should be. As great as the Nolan Batman movies are, they do not have that certain comic book charm that Avengers brings with it. I never buy dvds or anything, but I'm going to pre-order this on Blu-Ray without a doubt.

Joss Whedon, very big well done.

We Need To Talk About Kevin - don't know what to expect really (except it won't be a fast moving film!)

I'll take it from that that you haven't read the book mate? You're in for a treat anyway. Absolutely flawless movie adaptation (very rare imo). Tilda Swinton is magnificent.

for once, I haven't read the book... glad it's had another recommendation!

One of my best mates went on a 15 minute long rant about the Tree of Life once when we were talking about movies over some beers. His main criticism was that it was one of the most pretentious pieces of twaddle he'd ever seen.

Yeah it's pretentious alright. There were moments when I was just thinking "what the **** am I watching?!"

But amongst all that there was some very good stuff. But my problem with it is, as I said, it feels very unsatisfying at the end. There's a story there, and it's decent, but there's no real end to it.

That, and I feel like the movie could easily be an hour shorter

Just got round to watching the remake of 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'. Very good i have to say!

Rooney Mara - even with all that shit in her face and a daft haircut - she'd deffo get it!

I confess I fell asleep the other day watching it, no reflection on the film either I was tired but the first half hour or so did nothing to convince me the remake was actually worthwhile. The first half hour I saw I remember thinking the original captivated me more tbh

I really don't understand that point of view.

My only reasoning is it's because you saw the original first.

(don't mean that to sound patronising. I just think the "remake" [it's not really a remake] is miles better)

We Need To Talk About Kevin - don't know what to expect really (except it won't be a fast moving film!)

I'll take it from that that you haven't read the book mate? You're in for a treat anyway. Absolutely flawless movie adaptation (very rare imo). Tilda Swinton is magnificent.

Just watched this myself. Excellent.

Avengers is flipping ace.

Puny God :D

I saw it tonight. It was abso-frickin-lutely brilliant. Hulk had the best moments but they managed to squeeze everyone in and do them justice.

There was only one thing that I was thinking was perhaps a bit weak, but I shan't mention it. It's not particularly a spoiler but if I went into detail it might be so I won't say anything other than it was concerning The Hulk.

It's petty though and it didn't at all lessen the experience or ruin the film in anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Avengers is flipping ace.

Puny God :D

I saw it tonight. It was abso-frickin-lutely brilliant. Hulk had the best moments but they managed to squeeze everyone in and do them justice.

There was only one thing that I was thinking was perhaps a bit weak, but I shan't mention it. It's not particularly a spoiler but if I went into detail it might be so I won't say anything other than it was concerning The Hulk.

It's petty though and it didn't at all lessen the experience or ruin the film in anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

What was the issue?

Watched the Avengers. Not much to say apart from agree with Chindies excellent review. Popcorn perfection, I literally had a grin on my face the whole way through.

I got a lovely geeky satisfaction from 'getting' the mid end credit sequence too. :)

Thought you might like it ;)

It's a cracking popcorn flick.

Glad you got the midcredit sequence too - it's going to go over a lot of people's heads but the few that get it, excellent.

It's taken massive money - circa $180m since Wednesday apparently and thats without opening in the US yet. It's going to be a huge, huge hit, and it deserves to be.

Â