The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The sequels are different beasts to the first film. The first film is a comparatively simple story, it's a murder mystery that stands alone, with some character set up set to the side of the main plot for Salander.

The sequels expand the horizion and get into more complex stuff, but undermine things by having crazy shit like a characer who for all intents and purposes is the **** Terminator turn up.

They do show off their TV movie basis, they have a televisual look, far less cinematic. Initially the project was to have all 3 books made into a TV miniseries, breaking down each film into 2 90minute episodes. But they then decided to throw a bit more money at the first film to sell the series and ended up with something far better than they had expected. If you buy the extended trilogy they've reinstated that original structure and it kinda works but theres still a real drop off in the quality of the sequels in every facet, from story to cinematography.

I'm not sure Hollywood'll do the sequels, if I'm honest. I don't think it did as well as they'd hoped, and I'm not sure Fincher would do it either. I think they might be happy leaving it as is.

The sequels are different beasts to the first film. The first film is a comparatively simple story, it's a murder mystery that stands alone, with some character set up set to the side of the main plot for Salander.

The sequels expand the horizion and get into more complex stuff, but undermine things by having crazy shit like a characer who for all intents and purposes is the **** Terminator turn up.

They do show off their TV movie basis, they have a televisual look, far less cinematic. Initially the project was to have all 3 books made into a TV miniseries, breaking down each film into 2 90minute episodes. But they then decided to throw a bit more money at the first film to sell the series and ended up with something far better than they had expected. If you buy the extended trilogy they've reinstated that original structure and it kinda works but theres still a real drop off in the quality of the sequels in every facet, from story to cinematography.

I'm not sure Hollywood'll do the sequels, if I'm honest. I don't think it did as well as they'd hoped, and I'm not sure Fincher would do it either. I think they might be happy leaving it as is.

Hmmm, I really hope they do them. I had a feeling it hadn't done as commercially well as expected, but I thought it was still successful.

It's a shame, because as we've already established, it's a bloody brilliant film.

I think if they put the same amount of effort into the next two then they could both work and still be great films. But as I said, they'll be different. A big part of the third, without giving anything away, would largely be a courtroom drama.

Watched a few over the weekend :-

Moneyball :- Kind of OK but not really what I expected. Cracking story but you just got to have more of the sport/players to balance off the office based stuff or it might as well be a new way to find oil - 6/10

Sherlock Holmes 2:- Never really got out of the blocks, this had 2 hours to get somewhere and never made it. THe fights are just rubbish, I was going to say predictable but they are and the film makes it that way. Compare this to a 1 hour BBC sherlock, nowhere near IMO. 6/10.

So all in all a bit rubbish. I go and watch films now and then just to see if they have improoved buit they are getting worse IMO. Series make films look a bit dull these days.

As it is, the last minutes tied the film together pretty brilliantly. A standard Coen Brothers ending, but it worked.

Really?

I wasn't really paying attention but I didn't get the ending at all

As it is, the last minutes tied the film together pretty brilliantly. A standard Coen Brothers ending, but it worked.

Really?

I wasn't really paying attention but I didn't get the ending at all

I'll spoiler label it so I can talk about it properly

I saw the ending as him failing a test, so to speak.

He says near the start to that korean chap something about every action has a consequence. And it was like all the shit that was happening to him was going on but he sort of kept the faith the whole way through.

Then just as things seemed to be getting a bit better, he makes that decision to accept the bribe (by changing the korean student's grade to a pass) and literally the second he does it, the phone rings and it's the doctor telling him to come in and see him (I assume that meant he had cancer or something.)

Similarly the tornado heading for the town.

It was like that action of him accepting the bribe was the trigger for everything to go wrong, the consequences of his action. All the way through he's questioning the rabbis about Hasham (I think that was the word), and him accepting the bribe was like him admitting defeat in his faith, and then being punished as a result.

I'm not sure if the tornado and his son have more significane than I've picked up, i feel like they have but it's passed me by.

Anyway, as I said the ending was a little unsatisfying, which is pretty common for the Coens, but I feel like everything had built up to that point of him changing the grade.

I've rambled a bit there, might not make sense but it does to me :D

I went to see Battleship. As a fan of the board game I was really pleased with the way they transferred elements of the game into the movie, it made for quite an exciting and tense affair. I was glad that the action was interrupted by the witty and oft hilarious comedy skits though, they really added an extra dimension to the film. A lot of the talk about the film may be to do with Rihanna in her first feature film appearance - I thought she did a fantastic job along side stellar performances from the likes of Skarsgard and Neeson, and didnt look out of place in the slightest. The plot twisted and turned and kept you guessing all the way, and the soundtrack deserves a mention too. I liked the way that many well known songs were used to subtle effect in ways you may not expect. Overall I would say it is the best alien invasion movie I have ever seen.

I haven't seen the film, but I have to say I was pretty shocked by all the positive things you were saying about it since it looks utter garbage!

Last night I watched Dazed and Confused on Netflix. For a film that ultimately has no real story it was really enjoyable. I also now understand two scenes in Family Guy which make reference to the film, so that's always a plus. On the negative side though, I did some digging on IMDB and found out that Giovanni Ribisi's twin sister is in the film, and that she is married to Beck and that they are both Scientologists, along with Giovanni Ribisi, which makes me kind of sad.

Anyone seen Lockout? I think the trailer on TV looks good and I really like Guy Pearce as an actor. I think that'll be the next film I see at the cinema, then The Avengers comes out on friday I think?

Avengers opens Thursday.

I've no idea why Thursday but it is what it is.

I was considering IMAXing it, but I need to find out what other people are going to be upto first. Hopefully will see it soon though.

Mentioning IMAX I didn't realise that the one in the city centre is no longer an IMAX, but is now called 'The Giant Screen'. And still shows IMAX stuff. Odd.

It's an independent cinema now. It was always hamstrung by where it was in the city centre. I do wonder how much busier that whole place (ie, the Think Tank too) will get when the new park is fully open. There should be lots more people just milling around then so walk up trade might be significantly better.

It's an independent cinema now. It was always hamstrung by where it was in the city centre. I do wonder how much busier that whole place (ie, the Think Tank too) will get when the new park is fully open. There should be lots more people just milling around then so walk up trade might be significantly better.

Aye, isn't a big part of the City Centre regeneration plan thing to do with integrating Millenium Point and the rest of that area into the centre more and getting people to go there? Totally off-topic, sorry.

I was completely unaware that the IMAX had gone though. Although in reality it just looks like it's under new ownership from what the website says.

I've never been an IMAX. Avengers might be a good place to start...

Â