The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I've just finished watching "The Beaver" ... thought it was an excellent film. Not usually a fan of Mel Gibson but he is excellent i this. Directed by Jodie Foster too who i thought did a good job.

7/10 from me.

Watched two films last night, both really good, Edge of Darkness and Splinter.

Edge of Darkness was much better than I thought it was going to be, Gibson was really good in it and im not normally a big fan of his, good story as well.

Splinter was a very good, well made 'b' movie type horror/thriller, not too many surprises but a very solid film, reminded me of The Thing at times. Deffo one for Ash :thumb:

la-rafle.jpg

Saw this last night. All about the round up of Jews in Vel'dHiver. Beautifully done - with a similar emotional pull to La Vita e Bella. Jean Reno is up as a headline star but whilst he is good in his all too brief screen time - the kids and the female nurse are brilliant.

Watched "Tell no one" last night, a 2006 French film.

Relayy enjoyed it, havnt seen many french films but the ones i have seen i have thoroughly enjoyed.

Can anyone recommend me any other action genre films

His performance is great but I wasn't a fan of the film to be honest. Actually I'm not a fan of anything Tarantino does come to think of it.

Not really a fan either. But IB was good and I gave Pulp fiction another chance yesterday and it was better than I remember it. He's kind of special, mr. Tarantino but I'm not as big a fan as most people I know.

Super 8 is a fine film.

Compare it to Transformers 3.

Super 8 is better than T3 however aside from the acting from the bunch of kids which I thought was superb the film seemed to go of track after the train did.

Expected more but didnt get it.

Cowboys and Aliens is complete and utter crap, a real disappointment

Rise of the Planet of the Apes:-

7/10

First of all it's better then I expected it to be when I first heard there'd be a prequel. If I was to describe it, it would be the typical summer blockbuster, but one that delivers. For just over 90 minutes it's a very entertaining watch, although I felt it lost it's way the further the film went along a bit like Super 8 imo. The main disappointment for me was the acting, or maybe it was how the characters were written. No human stood out, and although the focus of the film is on the apes, all the characters were really bland and it felt as if James Franco was just wondering about through the film showing very little emotion. Then there are characters such as his girlfriend used to show Ceasars jealousy, but otherwise was incredibly dull, and the sanctuary keeper who I just couldn't take seriously in his role.

However Ceasars character was excellent and that was certainly one big positive over the original. I really felt attached to his character and the CGI of him and the other apes was very convincing.

Not a patch on the original, but certainly worth a watch.

And fwiw, here are the only 10/10 films I can think of:

Delicatessen

That film was far too strange for me! Although the sex scene was great :lol:

Just back from seeing Super 8.

Love it.

(He does love a bit of Lens Flare though, doesn't he?)

I watched it tonight. I thought it was pretty poor. JJ Abrams just recycling the same ideas.

The story was so disjointed it was unreal.

Agree about planet of the apes, could have been alot worse but at the same time could have been better, missed something that I couldn't really put my finger on, baddies are lazily by the book jobs brian cox should have been used more rather than the blonde potter kid Jacobs was shit, the apes and their relationships and the potential for monkey politics that they nicely set up for the next film are all good

Saw a rather good older film last night. Space Cowboys. Entertaining and some good old favourites in Clint Eastwood, Tommy Lee Jones and Donald Sutherland. Not a film that'll go to the history, but entertaining for a couple of hours. I liked it.

Have decided to try and watch all the films who've won an Oscar for the best film since 1970. There are a few I've missed so that's a task. Maybe should start with Godfather 2. :P

Â