The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched Bad Teacher yesterday night.. pretty good film.

Honestly? Jeez, it looks muck.

it's pretty good if i'm honest, if you go in with expectations low you will be pleased.

Super 8 is one I plan to watch over the weekend.

JJ Abrams with Fringe, Cloverfield, Star Trek and Lost.. seen and loved them all (Though Fringe I couldn't really get into the 2nd season).

The more he makes the more I become a fan to be honest. He is certainly one of the better big budget directors. I'll be honest in saying that he even made Mission Impossible 3 quite a good film. If you haven't seen it yet then give it a go.

He needs to calm down the lens flare a little though...

Super 8.

Excellently shot, especially the train scene. The first thirty minutes are an enjoyable watch but it seems to lose as its way as the movie progresses. Still worth a watch though.

I thought it was fantastic throughout, although I feel there was a slight drop after around the hour mark if anything. The best big budget film I have seen this year though.

600full-the-vanishing----criterion-collection-cover.jpg

Brilliant.

Spoorloos? That cover is...odd. Namby pamby criterion stuff ;) Good film though. I kept imagining Buried was the sequel when I went to watch that. Oops spoils. Watch the American remake if your game for a laugh.

Watched Super 8 last night. Could be known as 'Lens Flare! The Movie'.

It's such a homage to Spielbergs 80s sci-fi that it verges on a photocopy at times - the location, the look, the atmosphere, it's drenched in E.T. and Close Encounters. It even nicks Spielbergs long time fascination with portraying father son relationships as strained and detached.

It's successes, which basically is the above, don't save it from being tinged with disappointment. The whole film feels like a movie made by someone who's seen a lot of movies, but doesn't really get the deeper side of things. Everything in the film is a nod to something else, and its swimming in cliche - of course those stern looking Air Force men aren't all that they seem! (which, honestly, spoils nothing of the story -you know where this story is going if you've seen 10 seconds of a trailer). The kids suffer from playing caricatures, Elle Fanning aside who does appear to be able to act. The film also absolutely telegraphs a few minor things from pretty much the word go. I simply couldn't buy the design either - and I've not met someone yet who has managed to believe in the way somethings are portrayed here, shall we say.

I'm not sure I'll ever like J.J. Abrams. I've never been totally sold on anything he did - even the Star Trek reboot was a little too much style over substance for me. He knows how to get a look.

It's such a homage to Spielbergs 80s sci-fi that it verges on a photocopy at times - the location, the look, the atmosphere, it's drenched in E.T. and Close Encounters. It even nicks Spielbergs long time fascination with portraying father son relationships as strained and detached.

That is one of the big strengths of the film though in my opinion. I was more than happy to take a trip back to those days of cinema.

The whole film just had a romanticism to it in my eyes.

As I have said already, it's the best big budget film I have seen this years hands down. Don't focus on the little blips and enjoy it for what it is. It's a good summer blockbuster that transports us back in time to a period in which film was more fun. It won't win any Oscars but it is enjoyable and certainly worth seeing in my opinion.

By the way, was Dr Woodward the science teacher from Gremlins? I could be mistaken...

That is one of the big strengths of the film though in my opinion. I was more than happy to take a trip back to those days of cinema.

As I have said already, it's the best big budget film I have seen this years hands down. Don't focus on the little blips and enjoy it for what it is. It's a good summer blockbuster that transports us back in time to a period in which film was more fun. It won't win any Oscars but it is enjoyable and certainly worth seeing in my opinion.

By the way, was Dr Woodward the science teacher from Gremlins? I could be mistaken...

I did say that the homage stuff is the films main success ;)

It's not a bad film by any means and I did roundly enjoy it, but a problem of the inspiration it clearly has is it makes you just want to watch one of Spielbergs films, which did it first and did it better, and didn't run out of steam.

It's not actually a big budget film either - $50m budget, pittance by todays standards.

I did say that the homage stuff is the films main success ;)

It's not a bad film by any means and I did roundly enjoy it, but a problem of the inspiration it clearly has is it makes you just want to watch one of Spielbergs films, which did it first and did it better, and didn't run out of steam.

It's not actually a big budget film either - $50m budget, pittance by todays standards.

Very true. I actually watched 'The Goonies' after seeing it the other day.

Tonight I'm watching another one with a Spielberg link ('Gremlins'). I think 'Super 8' has certainly put those back into my head.

Good point about the budget too. It's good to see what can be done with a good director, when you think that some get lots more than that and make a complete hash of things.

Â