The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Re Gosling, Lars and The Real Girl is a cracker and should be watched!!!

And Half Nelson too, he's superb in that too (he's good in everything though to be fair).

forgot to recommend gomorrah last night, its a very good film perhaps (IMO at least) slightly spoilt by a bit of assumed knowledge, the paragraph at the end of the film is a real penny dropper made my understanding of what id watched different (spoiler - for example when the dress designer sees his dress on CJ on the red carpet, didnt occur to me that what he was seeing was how high their influence went)

the documentary on BBC before they showed it was good too, same again made alot of the film easier to understand

I've had it for two years now and still not watched it, in spite of continous recommendations, think I'll definitely have to make some time for it!

Belatedly saw The Social Network the other night. Aaron Sorkin does write such good screenplays but Jesse Eisenberg was fantastic in the role. I do wonder how much if any is actually true though!

watched Brothers last night with Gylenhall Maguire and Portman....

wasn't expecting much before but thought it was a great little film with some cracking performances...

i felt myself tensing up on many occasions during certain scenes wondering what was going to happen next...

in particular the dinner scene when the eldest of Maguire's daughters (who puts in a magnificent performance for a 7 year old) starts to misbehave and then it all kicks off...

reminded me of a Mike Leigh scene

Yeah the trailers make it look as if the plot has veered off in a completely different direction, might work because IMO cars 1 wasn't amazing

did they show a toy story short before it? Also eagerly awaiting monsters Inc 2 a prequel where mike meets sulley at scare university, IMO MI is a very underrated pixar movie at least on par with nemo

threads.jpg

2 hour BBC drama-docu from the 80s about the effects of nucleur attack on Britain. Well actually the whole of Europe gets it, but it focuses on the effects in Sheffield. Unfucking believable. Why don't the beeb make things like this anymore?

For the most part, yes, it is flattened but not obliterated. The actual bomb hits an army bas or something outside of Sheffield, but then they get covered from the fallout from the bomb that hit Crewe yay. 80kt of bombs total hit England, something like 60% of buildings destroyed so the majority of the country gets a face lift.

It's quality. They follow the day to day life of some families with the story of war breaking out between America and Russia in the background via news and radio. Then as the possibility of a strike gets closer they throw some facts at you like what the Government has in place (or had at the time anyway) if such a thing did happen. Basically Local Government is given absoloute power to do as they will, and then the story follows the local government for Sheffield too. And the bomb hits and shit really hits the fan, yay! It keeps the documentary style in parts though, as it creates a fictional sequence of events for whats happening all over the globe and else where in England, although you only actually see Sheffield.

A must for anyone who likes Post/Apocolyptic fiction. Or wants to see Sheffield reduced to rubble.

I like both. Will have to investigate. There was a great post-apocalyptic ITV mini-series in the 90's called "The Last Train" which I can't find for love nor money. :(

Ironically, the titular "last train" was actually headed for Sheffield. :lol:

Well I got it through Love Film, so you shouldn't struggle. And in something of a continued disater film phase, now they have sent The Towering Inferno. More burnt people hooray!!

Â