The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

eventhorizon.jpg

Must see on blu-ray

I love the chemistry between the crew, sam neill ftw

The only watchable Paul W.S. Anderson movie.

Idd its the only gem in his portfolio, Pandorum was pretty similar but was rubbish i thought

Idd its the only gem in his portfolio, Pandorum was pretty similar but was rubbish i thought

I really enjoyed Pandorum, oddly enough. I haven't found many (well, any) others that have though.

Now I've watched the Wall street-movies. Quite good both of them, IMO. :)

Hm, is this faith or what? I was about to buy Lovely bones today, actually. It's quite cheap here now. I've heard other who's said that it's good, so I still think I'll buy it.

The Lovely Bones is a steaming turd of a film.

Possible spoiler alert.

Ignoring the rather inexplicable english guy in the middle of small town america, who seems intent on courting a 14 year old girl with his curly hair, charming accent and shakespere references(this is meant to be believable?); ignoring the 'after-life' gibberish that essentially panders to the christian middle america audience; ignoring the rather gaping plot hole of a string of murders involving underage girls and no police officer stopping and saying "hold on, there might be a connection here"; ignoring the bullshit ending of the bad guy being thwarted by a piece of falling ice and plunging to his death (justice? not at all); ignoring all this, the thing that pisses me off most about this movie complete lack of a shit I gave to what happened to her, and instead got pissed off about silly plot devices.

no, this is a turd of a movie. don't watch it.

The Lovely Bones is a steaming turd of a film.

Possible spoiler alert.

Ignoring the rather inexplicable english guy in the middle of small town america, who seems intent on courting a 14 year old girl with his curly hair, charming accent and shakespere references(this is meant to be believable?); ignoring the 'after-life' gibberish that essentially panders to the christian middle america audience; ignoring the rather gaping plot hole of a string of murders involving underage girls and no police officer stopping and saying "hold on, there might be a connection here"; ignoring the bullshit ending of the bad guy being thwarted by a piece of falling ice and plunging to his death (justice? not at all); ignoring all this, the thing that pisses me off most about this movie complete lack of a shit I gave to what happened to her, and instead got pissed off about silly plot devices.

no, this is a turd of a movie. don't watch it.

even more spoilers

agree in parts, but the book is much better, for example it explains that the killer has travelled far and wide meaning that there isnt much of a pattern, it also goes into more depth about the dad noticing what a weirdo he is, and as i said before its less of her in the after life more or less doing **** all and more of her watching her family grow old, for some reason the film misses out the mom having an affair with the detective it tries to show the dad going off on one but not very well, also explains the friends and the sisters story much much better and perhaps most importnatly its actually impactual, they dont set scenes or introduce anyone its a case of bang shes dead straight away

the book is far from brilliant but its still very readable and ten times better than the film

I actually thought Lovely Bones was a good film. Nothing special but watchable.

Think i might watch Super again tonight, was hilarious.

SPOILERS

I watched it last night and thought it had glimpses of a good concept- the start to the film up to the murder was good and well paced in my opinion.

The narration to the film became too overbearing for me, constantly ruining what could have been emotionally developing the parent's grief and her siblings dealing with the loss of their sister. Instead it was jumping wildly from her sister's first kiss, her father smashing his ships in bottles and her crush and the girl who could sense her seemed to be hinted at but I never felt anything for any of them.

The over emphasis on CGI- where the after-life was just so blatantly computer generated, it was meant to be an in-between worlds, and yet it was frustrating why they were so determined to make it seem other-worldly, at times I was grimacing when it switched back there because it got to a point where it was just Peter Jackson's ego trip that seemed to try to be flashy and showy with his effects. If anything it just interrupts the story and, to be perfectly honest, it was nothing new and lacklustre CGI anyway.

The film did have depressing tone you would expect, but then at the end of the film [MAJOR SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM] I just came out angry and bemused. Such a poor ending, an icicle dropping on his shoulder that makes him fall off a cliff? What satisfaction does anyone get from that? The girl who could sense her, doesn't prevent her body from being kept inside a safe in the ground when her family could have given her a proper burial.

The best part of the film was the basic STORY, shock horror something Peter Jackson couldn't ruin. It was a really daring idea for a story, but I really hope Jackson stops with making gimicky CGI, it doesn't enhance the film at all, its not showy, its not good film making. King Kong and The Lovely Bones both had gimicky moments; the bugs and dinosoars in King Kong and the boats and the crumbling gazebo-thing in The Lovely Bones. Don't rate him as a director at all.

Gosling is the best upcoming actor atm imo

he's been around since the early 90's hasn't he ??

posted about him in The believer that i watched the other week .. probably his best role of the films I've seen him in

Gosling is the best upcoming actor atm imo

he's been around since the early 90's hasn't he ??

posted about him in The believer that i watched the other week .. probably his best role of the films I've seen him in

Since 2001 (Given that was his first major role in a film) :) but yeah but till recently he's only really been doing Indie films. I know he prefers doing them and he's excellent at them but I think he will start to get noticed doing films such as Drive and Blue Valentine. He seems to be getting better by the film too imo.

Saw The Rite, yesterday. Liked it. But then again, a semi horror film based on religion and what's said to be a true story is hardly going to fail with me. Especially with Anthony Hopkins in it. :P

Couple of flicks I watched over the weekend:

Nighthawks with Stallone, Rutger Hauer and Lando Calrissian - Surprisingly good, bit of a Die Hard element to it international terrorist being chased by wise cracking hardened city cops.

A Perfect Getaway with Timothy Olyphant and Milla Jovovich, alright thriller surpassed the low expectations I had for it. Olyphant was superb.

Once in a Lifetime: The Extraordinary Story of the New York Cosmos with everyone but cash hungry prick Pele. Charts the rise and fall of the original North American Soccer League, the players, the business, the shenanigans and Giorgio Chinaglia as himself, the sleaziest footballer ever.

Ive only just got round to watching the social network. Pretty impressed tbh, was engrossed through out and vvery well acted. Particularly impressed by Justin Timberlake, thought he was excellent

Â