The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

11 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'm thinking more about clashes with the Weinsteins and the decisions to drop key plot elements and characters.

Or anything else, really. Disputes with actors, replacing the original Aragorn 3 weeks into the shoot, location problems, whatever.

All these issues but they still made a great set of films. Unlike the Hobbit which sucks. 

• Like 2

cs9Mrp3fVJ8MCbx4TQk34IEMEMx.jpg

Watched this last night.

It's fine, but I can see why it dodged the majority of the Oscar nominations. It's way too long to be honest, and the really interesting stuff happens all in the 3rd act really. Also I had no idea of the story so if you did know the story that last part might not even be that interesting.

Couple of good performance. Lady Gaga was very very good in it and that would be the one person I'd say should probably have been on the oscars list.

Jared Leto is ridiculous. It was like he was cast as Super Mario

• Like 1

Yeah Leto was nonsense. How he got a nod I have no idea :D film lobbying for you. 

See the source image

Saw this last night. Loved it - all the more impressive as the cinema had all the dickheads in, late arrivals, constant talking phone out eating with mouths open ( and eating apples ffs ) as well as random commentary from one chap, who also cought regularly ( also mouth open ). I wanted to lamp him. Look forward to watching this at home at some point, but it's a lovely film. 

• Like 1

Just watched “Circle” (2015) on Netflix. It’s a bit like “Cube”. People wake up in a room, being killed off and then realising they’re in control of deciding who’s next. Most of the film is debating why one life is more valuable than another. 

It’s interesting, although it’s a bit bloody relentless. At times it feels like a Twitter argument in the flesh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Just watched “Circle” (2015) on Netflix. It’s a bit like “Cube”. People wake up in a room, being killed off and then realising they’re in control of deciding who’s next. Most of the film is debating why one life is more valuable than another. 

It’s interesting, although it’s a bit bloody relentless. At times it feels like a Twitter argument in the flesh.

Watched that a fair few times. Really enjoy a good high concept movie.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2022 at 15:39, maqroll said:

I wonder where they went on that boat at the end?

I always saw the whole thing as a metaphor for Europe and War - the brave little English Hobbits and the Kaiser's Orcs - with the Elves from a faraway land across the (Atlantic) sea - so in the end they're off to America in some sort of symbolic passing of the torch. 

On 08/03/2022 at 07:16, Rds1983 said:

All these issues but they still made a great set of films. Unlike the Hobbit which sucks. 

The hobbit has really poor cgi too which doesn't help, the big fight in thr last film is shite, theres a scene with I think maybe 5 trolls lining up on a hilltop and you can see that they're all a repitition 

Not bothered with the extended cuts, which to be fair is the only way to watch return of the King imo, its a poor film without it 

• Like 1

On 07/03/2022 at 16:47, maqroll said:

Nope, originals. I didn't like the extended bits.

I read the books about 35 years ago. Forgot most of it.

Watch the extended editions they're better

I'm also pretty sure there was tons of extra content in them, each one was 4 discs, 2 were the film 2 were extras, I'd be surprised if there wasn't some documentary stuff on there 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Getting good reviews too, might give it a go Sunday 

Yes, I was thinking I might be going cinema to see as it was being previewed very recently,  didn't realise it was so close and available on Netflix, just checked and its on there today too.

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Watch the extended editions they're better

I'm also pretty sure there was tons of extra content in them, each one was 4 discs, 2 were the film 2 were extras, I'd be surprised if there wasn't some documentary stuff on there 

Can vouch for this also, watched the extended versions during lockdown and I they were better, its aged really well too. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Can vouch for this also, watched the extended versions during lockdown and I they were better, its aged really well too. 

Worth watching the Extended versions just so you can see how Saruman dies. Criminal that they cut that from the original.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Worth watching the Extended versions just so you can see how Saruman dies. Criminal that they cut that from the original.

Yeah even if they botched the books at least it makes sense 

I'd say from memory the first one is largely filler and fan service, the 2nd one is a mix but then the 3rd one is filling the gaps in logic and sense that the normal version misses 

The normal 3rd film is unwatchable imo it's a poor film the extended cut makes it a decent one, a bit like kingdom of heaven 

7 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I didn't know they included that! Think I've only seen the extended version of the first movie.

• Like 1

The Extended Editions of the LotR films are mandatory viewing. Some of the stuff they add is fluff, but a lot of it is either the foundations of bigger plots (stuff with Aragorn's character arc for instance, or fleshing out Faramir's character, or introducing the idea that the Elves are leaving Middle-earth and there's a changing of eras) or, in the case of Saruman, actually finishing his story. The theatrical edition of RotK basically ignores Saruman (I think Treebeard just says 'he's locked in the tower' and everyone moves on) so you're left to believe this guy who was basically the second big bad in the story loses 1 battle and has his fort overrun, and that's it, his story just stops. In the Extended Edition he gets an end to his story (different from the books, understandably).

I can't watch the theatrical editions anymore. They're still good films, but when you compare to the Extendeds, you see all the corner cutting and how much they're chopped down to an inch of their lives.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

I'll probably watch The Adam Project later this evening but my word there's a lot of Marvel characters in that main cast .

Are there only 50 working actors on Earth or something ?

Marvel has just made a ridiculous amount of films. Endgame had something like 80 odd characters in it and there's been several films and TV shows since then. 

Â