The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Get some rest @theunderstudy, you look tired... 

😂😂😂

I do love it though. Didn't even realise that was Karl Urban in Supremacy as the bad guy for years.

And the shaky-cam fighting gets a lot of stick but I think it captures the frenetic and adrenaline-filled fighting that it tries to do

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think what this list of trilogies is showing is that I don't much like trilogies really. 

I tell you what I think of that comment 

5jXVYaF.gif

• Haha 1

Evil Dead is almost untouchable. You have Evil Dead 2, one of the greatest movies ever made, definitely the best sequel. Then you have Evil Dead. I struggle (in the sense I don’t want to) find a film that has more iconic scenes. Army of Darkness, the third film then takes the entire story out if the cabin and turns it all on its head. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Evil Dead is almost untouchable. You have Evil Dead 2, one of the greatest movies ever made, definitely the best sequel. Then you have Evil Dead. I struggle (in the sense I don’t want to) find a film that has more iconic scenes. Army of Darkness, the third film then takes the entire story out if the cabin and turns it all on its head. 

The TV show spin off is very good as well which doesn't happen that often. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Never seen any of them 

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

You have Evil Dead 2, one of the greatest movies ever made, definitely the best sequel.

Is that technically cheating though as it's a remake, not a sequel?  Or am I veering dangerously into "well hackshyually" territory here?

9 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Is that technically cheating though as it's a remake, not a sequel?  Or am I veering dangerously into "well hackshyually" territory here?

Really? I don’t see it. I would take the first film as a remake at a push, genuinely didn’t know Evil Dead 2 was. 

28 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

As a big fan of the franchise, I can tell you that that is a huge can of worms that has never been properly answered.

Went to the cinema on the weekend for the first time in at least 18 months because of the pandemic. 

Saw "A Quiet Place 2" and thought it was really very good indeed. Ending was a bit abrupt but I liked it. Would actually enjoy seeing more of the prequel part of it

Edit: I actually went on my own for the first time ever. And really enjoyed it. I might start doing it more often

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Really? I don’t see it. I would take the first film as a remake at a push, genuinely didn’t know Evil Dead 2 was. 

Bruce Campbell refers to #2 as a remake (or reimagining, words to that effect) of #1 in his autobiographies.

But to be honest, I don't think anyone is overly precious about the canonical continuity of the franchise, such as it is loosely held-together in the same manner as the gaffer-tape used to film #1.

2 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Bruce Campbell refers to #2 as a remake (or reimagining, words to that effect) of #1 in his autobiographies.

But to be honest, I don't think anyone is overly precious about the canonical continuity of the franchise, such as it is loosely held-together in the same manner as the gaffer-tape used to film #1.

"The reason for the retcon at the beginning of the movie was explained by Campbell in a clip from the special features of Evil Dead 2 where he revealed that Raimi didn’t own the rights to his own movie, so they had to shoot a recap with different actors, which ended up becoming a different story. Campbell added that people thought Ash returned to the cabin with different people, but he’s not that dumb... 

Evil Dead 2 retelling Evil Dead at the beginning confused fans for a long, long time, but the movie is now considered as both a retcon and a sequel (a “requel”, as Campbell has said)."

https://screenrant.com/evil-dead-2-original-movie-raimi-retcons-changes-explained/

So, yeah, big old can of brilliant worms. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

OMG I 😍 these films, utterly bonkers! I saw the Army of Darkness at a late showing in the Birmingham Odeon after a session at the Barrel Organ (if it was still there) or Mercat in Digbeth.

Edited by bielesibub
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Ah. I read If chins could kill a while back and must have forgotten. 

@Designer1 can probably explain all the reasons this is wrong, but my understanding as a film fan rather than Evil Dead fan is that 2 is basically a rerun of the first film but polished and with a budget that then expands on the story of the first film - so it's both a remake and a sequel simultaneously.

I'll give the Evil Dead brownie points as a trilogy simply because I once got a copy of it on DVD free with a pint of cider.

• Like 1

I watched Guns Akimbo last night. It's bloody stupid. Cheesy dialogue, ridiculous over the top violence, and such a ridiculous plot with so many bloopers you really need to disengage your brain. Really good fun though

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I watched Guns Akimbo last night. It's bloody stupid. Cheesy dialogue, ridiculous over the top violence, and such a ridiculous plot with so many bloopers you really need to disengage your brain. Really good fun though

dumbest movie ive ever seen. will definitely watch it again,

oh, and Pitch Perfect is obviously the best trilogy ever made

Â