The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I'm one of those cliched fans that love Ghibli films focused on the blur between reality and magic/folklore/fantasy, cant stand the more straight up 'real life' non fantasy ones. 

Hell, I think I'm some sort of Ghibli pariah as even though I love them all if I really really HAD to choose only one I'd unashamedly pick Ponyo over the usual big guns every day of the week and I dont even care 😁

Edited by Ingram85

On 07/09/2019 at 07:53, hogso said:

It chapter 2

Hide contents

Not enough Turtle, slow pacing, and a consistent comedic streak which runs the entire length (and feels long) make it a slightly worse film than the first. Does have it's moments, though, and considering the books final battle, here it's dealt with pretty well.

Despite some things that may annoy the purists, I can't think of any other way around the...problems that the novel brings with a screen adaptation, with the decisions made here. I thought they were going use Audra, but she only appears in a very early scene with Bill. 

Perhaps other than Stan not looking wizened enough given his long term exposure to Derry compared to the rest, and the lack of Derry being 'purged' after the final battle. Plus not enough turtle. Torn about the King cameo! It was a bit of fun sure, but he kinda overplayed it. 

It was too long and the film didn't really flow. Expected better when I saw the cast.

Just watched Friedkin's Sorceror at the Prince Charles. Long been on my want-to-watch list, it didn't disappoint. The ramping up of tension was masterful (though this may have been somewhat influenced by the fact I knew I'd be running for the last train home if it didn't finish in time).

• Like 1

On 02/09/2019 at 15:50, mykeyb said:

Had the misfortune to watch The Hustle with Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson......................................................................a remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels but with out the laughs and the story but with added Rebel Wilson.

To be fair 2 minutes in it was obvious it was going to be a dud.

i liked it. Solid 6.5/10

IT 2 tonight

the previous film was one of my “best of” films for that year , I enjoyed the whole dynamic and banter with the kids , yer mum jokes will never get old and the film used them well

this latest offering lacks the charm of the original, it’s only really good when they flash back to their younger selves.... the story line was a bit confused and lots of it didn’t really make sense .. and not just the fact that  despite 27 years passing and not being in contact with each other , one of the characters is somehow able to contact everyone via their mobile phones .

it has some good moments , my mate certainly jumped a few times like the big girly swot he is , but overall it was waaaay to long a bit boring and a film that didn’t need to be made  

I quite like that Robert Pattinson tries to do quite weird and unique films now. Would have been very easy for him to follow a certain path after all the Twilight shit. He's done some pretty interesting roles since. There's a film where he's broke and is a bit of a junkie I think iirc, was a good film, can't for the life of me remember what it was called though.

EDIT: Wasn't a junkie, but the film was "Good Time"... was good.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I quite like that Robert Pattinson tries to do quite weird and unique films now. Would have been very easy for him to follow a certain path after all the Twilight shit. He's done some pretty interesting roles since. There's a film where he's broke and is a bit of a junkie I think iirc, was a good film, can't for the life of me remember what it was called though.

The Rover? Great film.

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

The Rover? Great film.

Nah I was thinking of "Good Time" I think. Where he isn't a junkie hahaha. My memory for films is awful. 

Though, i've not seen "The Rover"... will watch that!

Edited by PieFacE

Â