The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Letters from Iwo Jima was by far the best of the two, and a very good film in it's own right.

Agree but it's still worth watching them both in sequence - think it makes the impact of "Letters" so much more.....well, impactful :)

Letters from Iwo Jima was by far the best of the two, and a very good film in it's own right.

Agree but it's still worth watching them both in sequence - think it makes the impact of "Letters" so much more.....well, impactful :)

Haha, I just came back to this thread to post this exact same thing!

I agree totally, it's worth watching them both to see the contrast between the two sides and to get the real context of the films. As Choffer says, it increases the impact of Letters from Iwo Jima.

There's also a few cross over moments, IIRC, where you wouldn't "get" what happened if you hadn't seen both films.

Seconded all comments on the Clint movies - Invictus, Flags, Letters and Unforgiven. And add Gran Torino to the list.

Coincidentally enough, I've just started watching series one of Rawhide! Rollin', rollin', rollin'....

Watched 127 Hours last night. Quite enjoyed it and it passed a couple of hours on a lazy Sunday. I also saw Case 39 over the weekend but I wasn't overly impressed. It started out well but half way through it just got a bit weird and it could have been so much better.

Watched 127 Hours last night. Quite enjoyed it and it passed a couple of hours on a lazy Sunday. I also saw Case 39 over the weekend but I wasn't overly impressed. It started out well but half way through it just got a bit weird and it could have been so much better.

oh jesus - case 39 is shocking.

Not as bad as district 9 though. That lasted 18minutes on my tv

District 9 only lasted 18 minutes? Considering the first 18 minutes is basically explaining the scenario, I doubt you gave it much chance. Its an utterly brilliant film IMO.

I go back to my point about people turning off films without giving it a chance.

18 minutes? Definitely didn't give it a chance.

(FWIW I didn't think District 9 was that good either, but turning it off after 18 minutes is overkill)

District 9 only lasted 18 minutes? Considering the first 18 minutes is basically explaining the scenario, I doubt you gave it much chance. Its an utterly brilliant film IMO.

Correct as ususal Sir. District 9 is a top film, and the first few minutes are just setting the scene for the rest of a very good and quite different take on the whole alien invasion genre.

Finally got round to watching Akira yesterday.

Really enjoyed it, easy to see why it is such a cult movie.

Also, I now know why Cartman turns into a big blob in the Trapper Keeper episode of South Park.

I just kind of flicked over to it and said "I'll see what happens" :lol: I'll put his name on the banned list. As an aside wrt to my previous recommendation, what did you think of Waltz with Bashir, Desi?

Loved it Bri, thought provoking and stylistically gorgeous.

This is on on More4 at 10pm Tuesday night for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I'll definitely be watching.

Don't forget now.

Inglorious Bastards, watched it twice now and still cant decide if its a masterpice or not?

"Bon jer-no"

Definately a masterpiece.

I dont know mate, see the bar scene is truely brilliant and is up there imo with Tarantino's best scene's, but scene's of that ilk are few and far between in the film.

Â