The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I just kind of flicked over to it and said "I'll see what happens" :lol: I'll put his name on the banned list. As an aside wrt to my previous recommendation, what did you think of Waltz with Bashir, Desi?

Loved it Bri, thought provoking and stylistically gorgeous.

This is on on More4 at 10pm Tuesday night for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I'll definitely be watching.

Don't forget now.

I actually had forgotten!

I've already set it to record though, so had you not reminded me it wouldn't have been a disaster.

I thought Pitt did his utmost to ruin it with a ridiculously OTT accent & performance.

I actually thought Pitt was brilliant in it! :?

I thought the OTT acting fitted his character perfectly. Now Hitler being played as camp/crazy was a bit stupid.

I think the film gave all the people a slight twist as it's a alternate world remember. They are all kind of caricatures of the real deal.

Also, as we won we can make Hitler whatever we want. Camp, crazy and stupid are not made up though, he was all these and tactically clueless, a child could have won it for Germany at times.

I just view him as a angry, unfunny Kenneth Williams type of guy that was so far in the closet he had the Narnia Times delivered daily into the back of his flowery dress wardrobe.

He did have a fantastic honeymoon though.

:D

If it's a caricature of Adolf you're after - watch this:

51PTDYIDrtL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Thought basterds was brilliant personally. For some reason I didn't fully appreciate it until the 2nd and 3rd watches. So much memorable dialogue, Tarantino is the master of that.

Thought fassbender was superb. Can't believe after seeing him in Eden lake he would go on to star in a Tarantino movie

GF 2 is set both before AND after GF 1, using flashbacks. I understand there is a "remixed" box set that kind of reshuffles it all into chronological order (it was for a US TV version). Personally, I would avoid this like the plague. Stick to the three original movies in the sequence they were made (as people have said, GF 3 is not as good as the first two, but it's not terrible, either. Watch it).

I had never watched any of the GF films until the OH bought me the boxset for christmas. GF2 was indeed my least favourite of the 3 but still a blooming good watch. Possibly the only time I'll ever have to change discs halfway through a film :D

Well I thought Black Swan was shit and District 9 one of the best films I've ever seen, so we've all got different opinions. Never seen any of the Godfathers.

District 9 started off quite promisingly, but the apartheit allegory was too heavy handed. And it really lost it when it turned into **** Transformers at the end.

the apartheit allegory was too heavy handed.

That's why I'm not bothering to watch it actually. It's just a fairly obvious apartheid story but with CGI and aliens. Nothing particularly ground-breaking that hasn't been done a hundred times before. Pretty much the same kind of criticism that I've seen levelled at Avatar many times with regards to plagiarising formulaic story lines while adding bells and whistles to it.

District 9 started off quite promisingly, but the apartheit allegory was too heavy handed. And it really lost it when it turned into **** Transformers at the end.

Actually I quite appreciated how they didn't ham up the apartheid. Pointed to without being thrown repeatedly in your face. Also the fact basically no "prior to that" famous actors were in it also made it better I thought.

the apartheit allegory was too heavy handed.

That's why I'm not bothering to watch it actually. It's just a fairly obvious apartheid story but with CGI and aliens. Nothing particularly ground-breaking that hasn't been done a hundred times before. Pretty much the same kind of criticism that I've seen levelled at Avatar many times with regards to plagiarising formulaic story lines while adding bells and whistles to it.

WADR Bri, I disagree. The film is more about the main character and what he goes through rather than the "apartheid". I totally disagree with the notion its "just another apartheid film".

Well I haven't seen it. That's just the impression I got from the snippets I've seen & read, that's all. I've no desire to sit and watch it though.

Mr Fallon is spot on with regards to Dissy9 IMO.

IMO it is not OTT with regards to Apartheid references. Just a bloody good and different take on Alien "invasion", done on a shoestring budget.

EDIT: wasn't done on a shoestring budget, but wasn't a mega bucks film, and used unknown actors.

all the better for it IMO.

Â