The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

watched the big short again friday night i think on BBC1, still dont understand probably half the film but its still absolutely brilliant, the magic of the film is that it knows you dont understand and doesnt expect you to so the clever elements like the breaking of the 4th wall and "here's selena gomez" etc make it so it doesnt feel that understanding it is actually that important 

and what they did and the numbers involved are still staggering

On 15/12/2018 at 22:39, mjmooney said:

You underestimate how much of an ignoramus I am about all things finance related. And how boring I find it. Even the supposedly simplified "idiots' guides" they threw in with that bint in the bath totally lost me. 

Probably a bit harsh calling an Oscar nominated actress a "bint"

just seen @mjmooney post from the previous page, like i said above the magic of that film for me is that you dont have to understand it, the directors dont expect you to, it doesnt get in the way of the main story which is that the market collapsed because banks were dishing out dodgy mortgages to anyone that wanted them (the scenes down in florida) the signs were there to see if you were clever enough (the scenes with Batman) no one believed it would happen, the banks bet against themselves (the scenes with him from la la land) the whole system is corrupt as **** (the scene with the asian guy in the fancy restaurant) and the people who did bet on it made an absolute fortune (with the best scene probably being brad pitt saying dont celebrate normal people are ****)

all the financial mumbo jumbo isnt as important as it seems

Aquaman was hilariously poor.

They must have felt so silly filming it.

looked like a mix between Finding Nemo, that Cara Delevigne space movie and that Jar-Jar Binks Star Wars city.

Did kinda work as a comedy thou and my friends kid liked it.

Oh, and the music choices were awful, although the drummer octopus was a clear favorite.

Edited by sne

On 16/12/2018 at 18:06, Shropshire Lad said:

Gave the latest Ghostbusters film a watch today.

Just very “meh”. Not completely shit like I imagine a lot of overgrown man-children were hoping it would be, but certainly not good either. A few bits where I thought “yes I can see why that should be funny”, but didn’t laugh.

Like a lot of modern comedies, too long and not that funny. A missed opportunity. Kate McKinnon easily the standout.

I watched this myself the other day.

I loved it for the first half. Funny, cast worked well together, visuals were great.

Felt it really struggled in the final act though. A very very basic storyline and it all just went a bit silly. I realise it's a film about people catching ghosts so it's never going to be serious, but it was all a bit crazy by the end and the jokes stopped landing.
And the visuals got worse. The city got conveniently clouded in mist so all you could ever see were the ghostbusters and whoever they were fighting.

It was NEARLY really good. But just totally fell away in the second half.

Edited by Stevo985

Yeah I thought the new ghostbusters was fine but too hit and miss to be more than that, but I always remember seeing it a cinema where loads of young kids and particularly girls came away absolutely loving it, so when I saw the saddos online decrying it as total shit etc. I did sigh. It was great fun for a different audience, not their precious **** memories of the original. There's a precious corner of white male film fans that are just so **** pathetic it's untrue, but never mind. ( For the avoidance of doubt, criticism of and not liking any film is obviously perfectly fine, but there's a certain lack of perspective amongst a vocal minority. Sorry, still get annoyed when I think of the pointless arguments I've had with that type ) 

Anyway, saw Get Out tonight as it's been on my to watch list for a while. How the f**k did this get nominated under the comedy / musical section for awards? :D Thought it was really good, but one of those films where I really couldn't decide how I felt about it until it began to reveal itself by the end.

I kinda liked the references to the online abuse they’d had making the film “bitches don’t catch ghosts” or whatever it was, I thought that was alright.

I’ll say what the worst bit was (which I’ll spoiler as I quite like doing it) -

Spoiler

Bill Murray’s cameo. **** me, if ever there was someone who didn’t want to be in this film. Really unnecessary, pointless scene, to call it a half arsed performance would be a huge compliment. 

Dan Aykroyd’s wasn’t much better either. Ernie Hudson’s and the woman who played Janine’s cameo were much better. The bit with Sigourney Weaver was ok, but felt like an afterthought.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

Bad Times at the El Royale was sadly a bit of a let down.

not bad, but could and should have been a lot better.

It's  a Tarrantino fan film, modern version of Hateful Eight, kinda.

it very nearly almost very good, but not quite.

6/10

On 19/12/2018 at 20:54, Chindie said:

The new Ghostbusters film was crap.

Because it wasn't funny. And ugly as sin.

I'd agree with that based on the second half of the film.

The first half I thought was genuinely funny and looked great. But like I said above, once all the action and visuals got "big" it just stopped working, and the jokes had gotten stale by that point.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd agree with that based on the second half of the film.

The first half I thought was genuinely funny and looked great. But like I said above, once all the action and visuals got "big" it just stopped working, and the jokes had gotten stale by that point.

I think we laughed maybe 3 times in the entire thing, and that iirc was at little throwaway gags, and was more of a chuckle than anything. The rest of it was all just poorly done imo. Like it didn't know how to edit or sell a joke, I felt like the movie was constantly forcing a gag and then waiting for the audience reaction. I also hated most of the cast, particularly McKinnon, who turns up the kooky to 11 and drove me nuts 

As for the look, it was too dayglow, too over the top, too whacky. I hate the look of every ghost in it. It's just charmless, ugly, crap, imo.

Really not a fan of it. The best thing about it is it reminds you just how incredible the original still is.

• Like 1

MEN IN BLACK?

How misogynistic! Why isn't it People in Black? Hang on, what about those who don't identify as people? This is going to get messy! :ph34r: ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â