The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

pacific rim 2

its shit, surprisingly bland and boring, doesnt really expand on anything

The first one was bad enough - what made you think the second would improve the franchise? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

The first one was bad enough - what made you think the second would improve the franchise? 

I mean, I expected some real character development and some nuance to the ongoing changes in the social structure. 

On 21/07/2018 at 23:18, Chindie said:

No.

Shazam is a **** bollocks character and this just looks dumb in a bad way.

Also it's painfully obvious he's wearing a muscle suit.

This is supposed be a comedy? 

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This is supposed be a comedy? 

It's DC's attempt at doing something that isn't 'grim dark' because they've cottoned on to the fact that Marvel films seem to usually have some lightheartedness to them and they make all the money.

I suppose you might call it a comedy but it looks as funny as taking a razor to your eyelids.

18 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I mean, I expected some real character development and some nuance to the ongoing changes in the social structure. 

That’s a lot of expectation for a Pacific rim job movie ;) 

i admire your optimism though! 

(I do get your point - certain ‘big budget’ films could be a lot better with a little more thought on substance over style) 

• Like 1

On 22/07/2018 at 18:59, villa4europe said:

pacific rim 2

its shit, surprisingly bland and boring, doesnt really expand on anything

I recreated pacific rim by having ruffians throw fireworks in my face. 

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

I recreated pacific rim by having ruffians throw fireworks in my face. 

yeah but wheres the force fed multiculturalism and awe inspiring speech gonna come from?

and you can say what you like its still better than transformers

Edited by villa4europe

I don't mind Pacific Rim. It's probably the costest thing to a live action Evangelion movie there will ever be, so it's got that going for it at least. 

1 hour ago, hogso said:

I don't mind Pacific Rim. It's probably the costest thing to a live action Evangelion movie there will ever be, so it's got that going for it at least. 

You can't reboot a masterpiece IMO.

See the source image

Really enjoyed the first Pacific Rim going into it completely blind and knowing nothing about it other than it was a big monster movie with robots but the second one was very dull in comparison.

The first one is one of those movies like Battleship, Real Steel, Transformers (3) Fast & Furious, that you can just switch your brain off and watch some cheesy action & explosions on a sunday afternoon

• Like 1

Sicario 2 tonight

some of it worked a lot of it didn’t .... quite dark in places and I’m sure I’ve seen a similar plot before somewhere ??

not as good as the first film but still decent enough 

16 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Sicario 2 tonight

some of it worked a lot of it didn’t .... quite dark in places and I’m sure I’ve seen a similar plot before somewhere ??

not as good as the first film but still decent enough 

Maybe you read/heard the story of the Allende massacre a few years back.

https://www.propublica.org/article/allende-zetas-cartel-massacre-and-the-us-dea

"But unlike most places in Mexico that have been ravaged by the drug war, what happened in Allende didn’t have its origins in Mexico. It began in the United States, when the Drug Enforcement Administration scored an unexpected coup. An agent persuaded a high-level Zetas operative to hand over the trackable cellphone identification numbers for two of the cartel’s most wanted kingpins, Miguel Ángel Treviño and his brother Omar.

Then the DEA took a gamble. It shared the intelligence with a Mexican federal police unit that has long had problems with leaks — even though its members had been trained and vetted by the DEA. Almost immediately, the Treviños learned they’d been betrayed. The brothers set out to exact vengeance against the presumed snitches, their families and anyone remotely connected to them."

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

The new Gotti film wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. They certainly moved the goalposts to get old Johnny. Sammy the bull murders to many to count, and goes state witness and gets 5 tea, whilst Gotti gets life without parole. The "man " at his most vindictive. I think what niggled Gotti most, was that he had an instinct that Sammy was weak, on account of him never having done time in jail. Like they say, always go with your gut feeling. If ever a man took his just desserts on the chin, then that man was Gotti. Not an ounce of self - pity.

A bunch of talk came out about the 2 X-Men movies that are in production came out over the last couple of days, little of it good.

The New Mutants, the trailer of which came out months ago and was reasonably well received with it's obvious horror tone, was the main focus of the rumours. The film is apparently hopeless. The original idea was supposedly to make a kind of teenage drama with more adult tone (following the idea of Deadpool and Logan being more obviously adult stories), focusing on a group of new students coming to terms with being mutants and how life is at Xavier's school (which I believe is a similar premise to the comic of the New Mutants?). This idea got binned because it was too expensive apparently. 

The switch to what the film now is came when the director pitched Fox on making a horror movie with superheroes. Fox were on board and the idea was parachuted into the New Mutants. The director isn't a comic book fan and seems to have just wanted to make a horror movie and gambled on using a superhero foundation as being a way to get a studio onboard. Consequently the film is apparently quite generic and the hero stuff is supposedly barely featured. The guy is also apparently a clearing in the woods who pissed off the crew with his attitude and 'style' of directing.

Early preview screenings of the rough cut off the film then apparently went down like a lead balloon with only the cast getting any praise. Major reshoots apparently were ordered, officially to make the film scarier, but actually in order to give the thing some character and make it more 'X-Men' than it currently is, with the main contention being that the film is dreadful but could at least be made watchable with a lot of tweaking.

As for Dark Phoenix, shock horror it's apparently shite. A movie nobody wanted to make rushed together while there's uncertainty about where the franchise is heading unsurprisingly is a mess with bad performances all over the shop.

Meanwhile with Disney looming both films are apparently not meeting with their approval and it's fairly likely they might just cut their losses and bin them now that they have their hands on Fox.

The only film in the works that isn't in trouble Deadpool focused. X-Force is likely to carry on, featuring as a Deadpool threequel to round out a trilogy. Although it's not even at the earliest stages of production yet. What happens then, who knows. This Deadpool doesn't work in Disney's world and they've shied away from more adult characters (Blade, Ghost Rider etc look destined for TV alone for instance, which may as well not matter). He's also too bizarrely popular to ignore and a fair bit of the fun of the character is he's essentially a mockery of the things Disney has done and is based on the incongruity of this stupid and very adult character being part of the same world as Xavier and co. Disney won't go for that. The guess would have to be that they retire Reynolds take after X-Force and then reboot him in a more family friendly way alongside the rest of the X-Men when they fit them into the MCU down the line.

Edited by Chindie

Â