The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched a few on my way to hols on the plane

Isle of Dogs - same as most of my experiences with Wes Anderson films. Cool and quirky, looked great, but not actually that good. 

Get Out - loved it. For some reason I had reservations about this one but it was brilliant. Slightly predictable but a great premise and very funny in places too. 

The Disaster Artist - also brilliant. Not a laugh out loud comedy, just one of those that is consistently amusing so you sit there smiling through the whole thing. Both the Francos were excellent in it too. 

3 Billboards - the pick of the lot. Superb and can see why it got the plaudits it did. Funny, dramatic, heartbreaking. Could have watched it again as soon as it finished. 

The selection of films on emirates is brilliant so so I’ll be getting through another handful on the way home. 

Leave No Trace - it's **** beautiful. A perfect example of economy of words with the story just revealing itself through actions and expressions. Take of a father and daughter living off grid in a national park until authorities spot them and try to give them an alternative life elsewhere. The lead actors are both exceptional.

"I'm not the one who's guilty, you're the one who's guilty. Lawmakers, the politicians, the Colombian drug lords. All you who lobby against making drugs legal, just like you did with alcohol during the prohibition. You're the one who's guilty. I mean, c'mon, let's kick the ballistics here. Ain't no Uzis made in Harlem. I mean, not one of us in here, owns a poppy field."

On 03/07/2018 at 07:59, sheepyvillian said:

I strongly recommend the film Hostiles. Beautifully shot, with a fine cast, Christian Bale at his best. A really moving film, but devoid of any sentimental cliches.

Just checked out the trailer and will give this one a watch I think. Cheers!

Blackthorn (2011) is worth the watch without being spectacular.

I was just watching ‘Ibiza’ on Netflix. I’ve never been so happy to turn and see that my wife was fast asleep. That film is shit, and I’m gutted I didn’t turn sooner. She’s probably been asleep for half an hour while I watched this wank.

Unfunny, unoriginal, boring main characters, lame lame lame. The best bit was when they showed about 6 pairs of tits on a beach.

2/10. 2 marks for the tits.

Just a heads up for those that are interested - the BFI's streaming service (loads of interesting films) is £4.99 a month, with a 14 day free trial, but Amazon UK is currently offering it with a 90 day free trial. Worth checking out. 

• Like 2

Jurassic World: 

Best film I ever see'd. 

Dr Malcolm being all cool surrounded by ham faced knob-cheeses. 

That stupid girl. 

The ridiculous hipster Dr Vet and their wussy analyst. 

A painting of Richard Attenborough. 

A dinosaur with a gold streak and most of the film being in 1 house with a big sex cave under it. 

A Baryonyx and lava and a pipe. 

I hated most of it. 

A cute Velociraptor? **** OFF MATE.

Stupid asshat Dr Wu and that odd little bloke from The Detectorists.

11/10.  Got dinosaurs in it and now those mother **** is everywhere. God damn. 

The little girl in the dumbwaiter all the time was an idiot man.  

6 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Jurassic World: 

Best film I ever see'd. 

Dr Malcolm being all cool surrounded by ham faced knob-cheeses. 

That stupid girl. 

The ridiculous hipster Dr Vet and their wussy analyst. 

A painting of Richard Attenborough. 

A dinosaur with a gold streak and most of the film being in 1 house with a big sex cave under it. 

A Baryonyx and lava and a pipe. 

I hated most of it. 

A cute Velociraptor? **** OFF MATE.

Stupid asshat Dr Wu and that odd little bloke from The Detectorists.

11/10.  Got dinosaurs in it and now those mother **** is everywhere. God damn. 

The little girl in the dumbwaiter all the time was an idiot man.  

I can’t tell if you liked it or not?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Incredibles II is out. No interest to me, as such, but I remember the first one being around, and if you'd asked me when, I'd have said about two or three years ago. 

Fourteen. 

28 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The Incredibles II is out. No interest to me, as such, but I remember the first one being around, and if you'd asked me when, I'd have said about two or three years ago. 

Fourteen. 

Wow, I'd have said slightly longer 5 or 6 maybe but 14... OMG

On 06/07/2018 at 23:05, HanoiVillan said:

'Rumble Fish' might be in the bottom 10% of movies I've ever seen. 

I literally spent most of it posting in the Tony Xia thread, that's how bad that was. 

Long time since I've seen it, but in my head, I've always considered it a great movie. From a period when movies were actually good. Even what I can remember of it is better than 95% of the toss they produce these days

• Like 1

Sat through the first 45 minutes of Rampage, that was all I could take.

The worst thing I've watched this year and in a long time. And that's coming from someone who's seen Deep Blue Sea 2

1/10 and that's with me going in with very low expectations.

Edited by sne

Â