The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Tom Hardy isn't a bad choice to play Eddie Brock on paper. Brock is supposed to be an intimidating presence and flawed personality, Hardy can do that in his sleep.

Unfortunately I think they've given him bollocks to work with. The dialogue in that trailer is **** shit. You can see the entire plot a mile away and i can already give a good guess at what the sequel bait is going to be.

There's also still a problem for me of a Venom movie without Spider-Man. He's the anti-Spidey. Without that element the character is thinner and less interesting, even though he's become his own thing over the years in the comics (and this is allegedly inspired by a solo story that didn't feature Spider-Man), it's still there. Here he's just a monster with a Jekyll and Hyde element.

I also don't think the CGI is that great. And I'm not sure Venom's design translates that well (or this take doesn't) either.

Suffice to say I don't think this is going to be very good. Might scupper Sony's Spider-Man villain universe at the first hurdle. We can hope.

• Like 1

Feel the same about Venom.  I'm a big fan of Tom Hardy (and so is the missus, believe it or not) but it looks extremely poorly written and even the CGI doesn't look great.  I'm not a huge Marvel / comic book fan at all but I'll end up watching this one at the cinema - I just hope that if my expectations are low enough it might just surprise me!

While watching the trailer, I also noticed there's one up for Godzilla II.  Godzilla brings out the kid in me, and I actually quite enjoyed the 2014 version.  And this has actors I like (Charles Dance, Millie Bobby Brown, Vera Farmiga) who I quite like, but I'm really not sure it looks good at all:

It's out in 2019, followed by Godzilla vs. Kong in 2020.

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Spotlight was on last night so I watched based on recommendations.  The one about Boston priests diddling kids.  Must say I really enjoyed it.  I think I'd avoided it to now because I wasn't really interested in the source material. Great cast and some enjoyable performances telling a very important story.  Keaton, Ruffalo, Schreiber, McAdams, Tucci.

8.5/10 WBA

It was a very good movie, that I enjoyed despite my feelings about 'journalists as heroes' movies (except 'The Insider', which is **** brilliant). I thought Ruffalo overacted in some of the scenes, especially the one on the porch, but I guess given the subject matter you're better off overplaying it than under. 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

It was a very good movie, that I enjoyed despite my feelings about 'journalists as heroes' movies (except 'The Insider', which is **** brilliant). I thought Ruffalo overacted in some of the scenes, especially the one on the porch, but I guess given the subject matter you're better off overplaying it than under. 

Yeah I forgave the emotion precisely because of the emotive nature of the story.  Like the scene in the office where he wants to print the story right now, but Keaton makes him wait and he storms off.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BOF said:

The one about Boston priests diddling kids.  Must say I really enjoyed it.

I think you may need to edit that part just........just in case it mat get misconstrued and all that 

:detect:

I've got some free cineworld tickets so wanted to go this weekend.

There is **** all on at the moment.

Mamma Mia 2 (which I've heard is actually surprisingly good) really isn't my thing.
I could probably stomach Skyscraper purely because The Rock is in it, but I'm aware it won't actually be any good.
Mission Impossible gets a big meh from me.

That's about all that's on (at cineworld).

21 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Watched The Endless last night. Very very interesting and intriguing horror/sci-fi film. Didn't quite understand all of it, but really enjoyed the way it was shot. 

You should try Benson's other films too. Resolution is in the same 'world' as The Endless, and Spring is an interesting horror movie, too. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hogso said:

You should try Benson's other films too. Resolution is in the same 'world' as The Endless, and Spring is an interesting horror movie, too. 

I'll add them to my list! Nice one! 

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've got some free cineworld tickets so wanted to go this weekend.

There is **** all on at the moment.

Mamma Mia 2 (which I've heard is actually surprisingly good) really isn't my thing.
I could probably stomach Skyscraper purely because The Rock is in it, but I'm aware it won't actually be any good.
Mission Impossible gets a big meh from me.

That's about all that's on (at cineworld).

both skyscraper and MI have good reviews (MI has really good reviews)

ant man and incredibles 2 are also good, personally i'd go with incredibles

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

both skyscraper and MI have good reviews (MI has really good reviews)

ant man and incredibles 2 are also good, personally i'd go with incredibles

No interest in Ant Man.

Would like Incredibles but I actually haven't seen the first one! I might look at watching that tonight and go for that.

Skyscraper is my choice, but convincing the missus is a whole other issue!

I am going to see Skyscraper on Saturday and looking forward to it. It is going to be so stupid, but The Rock has the charisma to pull this shit off. Like San Andreas - which pun intended - is full of faults - it was still entertainingly silly without ever being annoying.

Saw Incredibles 2 last night, and @Stevo985 I had completely forgotten most of the first film, and still really enjoyed it. I do want to revisit the first one again now, but it's really not essential to see it in order to enjoy this one.

Minor I2 note

Spoiler

Baby Jack-Jack has all the best bits in this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hogso said:

Great director and a thoroughly nice chap (chatted with him a couple of times).

Â