The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The Incredibles II is out. No interest to me, as such, but I remember the first one being around, and if you'd asked me when, I'd have said about two or three years ago. 

Fourteen. 

If it makes you feel older Toy Story was released 22 years ago ;) & stuff like Die Hard, Big, Beetlejuice, Cocktail, Roger Rabbit & Naked Gun are all 30 years old this year and next year Ghostbusters celebrates its 35th anniversary

Eminem released Real slim shady & Stan 18 years ago, Hell in 6 months time Britney Spears Hit me baby one more time single is 20 years old.....

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Confused 1

Anyone thinking of watching Netflix’s disaster film ‘How it Ends’ don’t bother. It’s utter utter shite throughout with no ending or resolution at all. No pay off and no explanation as to what was happening and an utterly ludicrous last few minutes with a character that popped up out of nowhere and made no sense and who went unexplained again. Acting was awful. Plot was awful. Should have just been called ‘Give me your petrol’ with 2 hours of people just stealing each other’s petrol.

0.5/10. Half a point for some of the landscape shots. That’s it. Possibly the worst film I’ve ever seen.

Edited by Ingram85

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Anyone thinking of watching Netflix’s disaster film ‘How it Ends’ don’t bother. It’s utter utter shite throughout with no ending or resolution at all. No pay off and no explanation as to what was happening and an utterly ludicrous last few minutes with a character that popped up out of nowhere and made no sense and who went unexplained again. Acting was awful. Plot was awful. Should have just been called ‘Give me your petrol’ with 2 hours of people just stealing each other’s petrol.

0.5/10. Half a point for some of the landscape shots. That’s it. Possibly the worst film I’ve ever seen.

They seem to be alright at making tv shows but they seem to struggle with movies and most of them are cack.

"Tau" from last month was crap too

The Sweeney (2012)

I just could not get into this at all. There is only one Jack Reagan  for me and that was John Thaw . I just could not get into Ray Whinstone as the Sweeney 

• Like 1

Inspired by Red Letter Media's Re:View of the Thing today, where they also mention the modern prequel, and the fact its free with Amazon Prime, I watched the Thing 2011 earlier.

I really love the Thing. It's a great movie that is the pinnacle of practical effects (to the extent it basically broke the guy behind the effects after he locked himself away for months to make them all, and there's bloody dozens of them on the film) and it still holds up. The latter day prequel just felt cynical and unnecessary the moment it was announced to me so I never bothered with it.

I should have stuck to my guns.

The only good thing about the film is it has Mary Elizabeth Winstead in it. Otherwise it's a charmless ugly rerun of the original without any imagination. The creature designs, one of those things that outright defines the Thing, are hopeless. It has various moments where it calls back to the original, if you're kind (more accurately it copies a bunch of bits badly), but dumber. The blood test scene? Here we have a filling check. That moment where the creature stumbles through a wall on fire? Yeah we just get that again. It's such a slavish copy that goes to the extent of copying the leg movement of a burning Thing man slumped against a wall from the original. 

And blimey is it ugly. It's shot on film but the cinematography has the entire thing bathed in murky blue grey, making the entire thing bland and dour... But it gets worse. It is riddled with bad CGI. It turns out the entire film originally stuck to practical effects, with all creatures having been made and attempts made to even replicate how the effects looked in the original. Which is cool. But then they dumped it all and used CGI at the last minute. And it's bad. Really bad. Movement is too smooth. Detail is completely lacking. Lighting is off. It reeks of a rush job. Couple that to really awful creature design (there is nothing here that touches any of the original designs, even when it rips them off - it does the chest open to mouth thing twice. The 'big' design is 2 blokes melded together walking around plank style) and it's a complete mess.

It's bad.

In some ways it's like the Thing itself. It took the original and made a copy, only ugly and broken.

• Like 1

On 09/07/2018 at 11:42, lapal_fan said:

Jurassic World: 

Best film I ever see'd. 

Dr Malcolm being all cool surrounded by ham faced knob-cheeses. 

That stupid girl. 

The ridiculous hipster Dr Vet and their wussy analyst. 

A painting of Richard Attenborough. 

A dinosaur with a gold streak and most of the film being in 1 house with a big sex cave under it. 

A Baryonyx and lava and a pipe. 

I hated most of it. 

A cute Velociraptor? **** OFF MATE.

Stupid asshat Dr Wu and that odd little bloke from The Detectorists.

11/10.  Got dinosaurs in it and now those mother **** is everywhere. God damn. 

The little girl in the dumbwaiter all the time was an idiot man.  

This reminds me of a story I might have told on here before, but **** it, I'm gonna tell it again -

A few years back, a friend and I were on holiday in Berlin. It turned out we were there at the same time as the Berlinale, the film festival. We decided to go and see a movie, and at the time we went to the cinema the only thing on was a film called 'Repulsion'. We thought the title sounded good, so we bought tickets and went in. Turned out it was a rather old movie in black and white directed by Roman Polanski before he was a sex offender. All of the rest of the audience were serious film-buff types with thick-rimmed glasses and some of them were actually carrying notepads. Anyway, halfway through it the projector broke, and there was quite a long pause while they fixed it, and so they turned the lights on, at which point I asked my mate what he thought of it, and he said, loudly and very much not trying to be funny 'well it's alright I guess, but it's no Jurassic Park is it' and my god the faces around, absolutely priceless. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't know if anyone else has MUBI, but they have some shorts from the Oberhausen festival at the moment. One of them, called 'Hymns of Muscovy' is particularly good. The idea is very simple, it's just filming 20th and 21st-century architecture in Moscow to electronic versions of the Soviet and Russian national anthems, but - key point - all upside down, which has a fascinating effect, like all these buildings look like bizarre spaceships from another dimension entering our atmosphere or something:

images-w1400.jpg?1530710632

It's only about ten minutes long, and very much worth a watch. 

35 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Inspired by Red Letter Media's Re:View of the Thing today, where they also mention the modern prequel, and the fact its free with Amazon Prime, I watched the Thing 2011 earlier.

I really love the Thing. It's a great movie that is the pinnacle of practical effects (to the extent it basically broke the guy behind the effects after he locked himself away for months to make them all, and there's bloody dozens of them on the film) and it still holds up. The latter day prequel just felt cynical and unnecessary the moment it was announced to me so I never bothered with it.

I should have stuck to my guns.

The only good thing about the film is it has Mary Elizabeth Winstead in it. Otherwise it's a charmless ugly rerun of the original without any imagination. The creature designs, one of those things that outright defines the Thing, are hopeless. It has various moments where it calls back to the original, if you're kind (more accurately it copies a bunch of bits badly), but dumber. The blood test scene? Here we have a filling check. That moment where the creature stumbles through a wall on fire? Yeah we just get that again. It's such a slavish copy that goes to the extent of copying the leg movement of a burning Thing man slumped against a wall from the original. 

And blimey is it ugly. It's shot on film but the cinematography has the entire thing bathed in murky blue grey, making the entire thing bland and dour... But it gets worse. It is riddled with bad CGI. It turns out the entire film originally stuck to practical effects, with all creatures having been made and attempts made to even replicate how the effects looked in the original. Which is cool. But then they dumped it all and used CGI at the last minute. And it's bad. Really bad. Movement is too smooth. Detail is completely lacking. Lighting is off. It reeks of a rush job. Couple that to really awful creature design (there is nothing here that touches any of the original designs, even when it rips them off - it does the chest open to mouth thing twice. The 'big' design is 2 blokes melded together walking around plank style) and it's a complete mess.

It's bad.

In some ways it's like the Thing itself. It took the original and made a copy, only ugly and broken.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, pooligan said:

The Sweeney (2012)

I just could not get into this at all. There is only one Jack Reagan  for me and that was John Thaw . I just could not get into Ray Whinstone as the Sweeney 

some really unnecessary Ray Winstone love scenes in it. Does anybody want see him do that 

A Ghost Story.

Newly added to Netflix this was in my 'i really want to see that but I missed it at the cinema and I'm not buying the Blu-ray' list. A bit of an indie falling last year that critics loved, an awful lot of other viewers hated it. However I'm a sucker for cool images and this is effectively founded on one.

The story, that that there is, concerns a young couple, who live in a pretty crap bungalow and seem to have some small issues in the relationship that are unspoken. Then the bloke dies. The film then follows his experience as a ghost (literally the old school sheet with eye holes look) observing life.

It's immediately obvious why this is a divisive movie. It's shot in an odd aspect ratio, square with rounded corners, as if aping an old Polaroid (or something like Instagram I guess?). Dialogue, that that there is, is almost pure mumble. There is a story, but it's not a conventional one and comes with no 'why?' to many of the points raised. It's deliberately slow in many places (infamously there's a scene were you watch someone eat a pie for 5 minutes).

Despite this, I really like it.

It's a film all about atmosphere and feeling. It's surprisingly thoughtful. It's difficult to talk about really as it's obvious the film wants you to experience a journey with it and knowing the story beats defeats that and robs the intrigue from it I suspect (and might make it's languid pace less bearable).

It's hard to critique much beyond that. The performances are good but there aren't many of them and they are all very slight - there isn't tons of dialogue, bar a speech by Will Oldham of Bonnie 'Prince' Billy fame, no great moments of heightened drama and at the end of the day the protagonist is a guy under a sheet. Effects extend to some flickering lights. The sound is excellent.

Recommended, with a caveat - an awful lot of people will hate this. If a film without much obvious narrative, where a scene has a single long take of someone eating a pie, and the lead is literally someone under a sheet, sounds like the kind of thing that would make you want to chew through your own chin, stay far far away. Otherwise, seek it out. It's surprisingly good, and one of the more thoughtful, perhaps even haunting, films I've seen recently.

• Like 2

Â