The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 06/07/2018 at 23:05, HanoiVillan said:

'Rumble Fish' might be in the bottom 10% of movies I've ever seen. 

I literally spent most of it posting in the Tony Xia thread, that's how bad that was. 

On 09/07/2018 at 19:41, bickster said:

Long time since I've seen it, but in my head, I've always considered it a great movie. From a period when movies were actually good. Even what I can remember of it is better than 95% of the toss they produce these days

Same as Bicks's first sentence. Not so much the second. :)

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

A Ghost Story.

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

It's excellent.

Wow. Just finished. A hell of an existential journey. It’s made me feel so sad. The atmosphere in that film is so powerful and the last 20 minutes or so were a real gut punch. Fantastic how it makes you feel so lost and forlorn about yourself and the world around us let alone having those melancholy feelings for the poor ghost himself. 

Thats my overriding feeling after watching it. Pure sadness. Absolutely great film in a downer sort of way and I suppose it’s good to examine the negative feelings now and again though. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

On 03/07/2018 at 07:58, Stevo985 said:

Watched a few on my way to hols on the plane

Isle of Dogs - same as most of my experiences with Wes Anderson films. Cool and quirky, looked great, but not actually that good. 

Get Out - loved it. For some reason I had reservations about this one but it was brilliant. Slightly predictable but a great premise and very funny in places too. 

The Disaster Artist - also brilliant. Not a laugh out loud comedy, just one of those that is consistently amusing so you sit there smiling through the whole thing. Both the Francos were excellent in it too. 

3 Billboards - the pick of the lot. Superb and can see why it got the plaudits it did. Funny, dramatic, heartbreaking. Could have watched it again as soon as it finished. 

The selection of films on emirates is brilliant so so I’ll be getting through another handful on the way home. 

On the way back I watched:

The Post - some redeeming features but mostly guff. Gets cheesier and cheesier and ends up being a theatrical blow job of printed news. 

Coco - good fun. Thought it was quite weak in the beginning but gets better and better. A strong showing as usual from Disney Pixar. 

Death of Stalin - what I saw was absolutely brilliant, but I fell asleep towards the end so will have to rewatch it. Had no idea what to expect but I loved it. 

• Like 1

On 11/07/2018 at 00:09, Chindie said:

Joker movie starring Joaquin Phoenix is go.

Why?

Why?

It's a crazy, bizarre thing to do, but I can't help think it'll end up being the best 'Batman' film since the Dark Knight. 

I'm not sure what it'll mean for the 'universe' though if the best film ends up outside of it? Weird. 

Watched a couple of films on Sunday.

The legend of a whitetail deer hunter. 

Bit of a strange one for Josh Brolin after the 2 recent blockbusters he's done, must have been a pallet cleanser of sorts as its very low budget. Just him and his son with Danny Mcbride (doing his usual Kenny P act) messing about in the woods while trying to get his son's first kill. Was enjoyable enough, I guess it was a 6/10.

TAU

Started with some promise, almost like a SAW movie but ends up meandering along without much conviction really. Takes some elements from Ex Machina but obviously not as well as that movie. 5/10 for that one I think. Disappointing because it could have been better.

Edited by AVFCDAN

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Onlyon VT could you have someone post the trailer for Baraka and the very next post is a trailer for 'The Meg.' :D

To be honest, that Baraka looks like a bit of a low budget, 'B-Movie' action flick, so I thought I'd try and raise the bar a bit with The Meg. 

I know it's a  footy forum, but I think we'd all benefit from a bit more culture from time to time. 

Plus it's based on real science, so quite factual too. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, BOF said:

Mud.

A 2012 film with Matthew McConaughey, Sam Shepard & Reese Withoutherspoon in it.  One of those slow paced stories that lets the performances do all the talking.  Good stuff and some cracking performances from the 2 young leads as well.

One of the first pieces of the McConaissance. A gem.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

has anyone seen mute?

i really liked moon and source code, warcraft was pretty much all it could be

It's not very good.

You can tell it was made on a budget. It's also very... On the nose in some ways. There's some horrific acting in it too.

It's not terrible, but it's really not much cop either.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

has anyone seen mute?

i really liked moon and source code, warcraft was pretty much all it could be

thought it was boring, bad acting and some of casting is weird. Justin Theroux being the worst of a bad show

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Watched Geostorm last night

Someone please help me, I keep making bad choices. 

What a co-incidence! I have a bag of magic haricot beans which; it is told; prevent people from making bad choices.  I would be willing to let you purchase them for a sizeable fee.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

What a co-incidence! I have a bag of magic haricot beans which; it is told; prevent people from making bad choices.  I would be willing to let you purchase them for a sizeable fee.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, villaglint said:

Off topic but in what was an otherwise awful film I really loved that character. Helped by the fact it was played by a very good actor. 

You take that back!! MIB3 was the best of the 3.  Infinitely quotable.  Great characters (Griff & Boris), great performances (Brolin, Smith), and pretty much all the minor parts were memorable too.  Bill Hader's Warhol, Jeffrey Price, and the adorable Alice Eve.  Clever cyclical storyline.  Nope, I won't have it.  MIB3 is bloody quality :) (I could play any part in it at this stage in fairness)

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

You take that back!! MIB3 was the best of the 3.  Infinitely quotable.  Great characters (Griff & Boris), great performances (Brolin, Smith), and pretty much all the minor parts were memorable too.  Bill Hader's Warhol, Jeffrey Price, and the adorable Alice Eve.  Clever cyclical storyline.  Nope, I won't have it.  MIB3 is bloody quality :) (I could play any part in it at this stage in fairness)

I'm happy to take it back. It's more than possible that I'm getting it mixed up for the 2nd one. Anyway its a day of joy so no matter how small if I've upset you in any way I heartily retract it!

The joy will no doubt turn into horrifying pain and misery of course but I've learnt enough over the years supporting Villa to drink in the joy when you've got it. 

• Haha 1

Â