The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

23 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I wonder if the model can survive the move to streaming though? I'm guessing the revenues can't be as good as a % of DVD sales? 

Almost certainly not i would imagine. Streaming services whether its music or video seem to benefit the customer more than the supplier to my eyes. Seems to be a take it or leave it market though.

With regards to video streaming there's some interesting developments going on in America at the moment. The all in one system is obviously what benefits consumers the most ala Amazon Prime or Netflix but unfortunately the content providers are looking at this thinking we want a bigger piece of the pie, the net result is you now have Hulu, Netflix, Prime, HBO etc... even Disney are now using their own streaming model. Its becoming so diluted that the all in one solution the cable offered has almost come full circle in being the more economically viable again. Not sure where the future lies to be honest and how it will affect us.

Edited by AVFCDAN

18 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Holy shit... I always thought Bron in Game Of Thrones was Martin Kemp until seeing that film poster a few posts up :lol:

Bronn is played by Jerome, off of Robson and Jerome.

robsonjeromecover1.jpg

2 hours ago, hogso said:

I expect It to be a box office success

i dont, the reviews for it have been really really poor, the marketing also seems to be drying up, almost like they know they've got a stinker on their hands and they're pulling out, the 2 leads will probably be enough of a draw and fans of the book will still watch even if they know it will disappoint them

more than anything else with it i dont know why they thought a summer release was a good idea, as well as the obvious ones like spiderman, planet of the apes, dunkirk i think its been a summer with a lot of releases of decent films like atomic blonde, baby driver, not sure why it took them another month to release it here either

A right mixed back lately:

Girlhood - french film from last year set in the suburbs, focusing on young girls in a disadvantaged area. A very non-judgemental coming of age tale in a different world. All the cast are really good and it's a refreshing take on youngsters growing up.

The Conjuring -  I don't watch much horror / jumpy type films, but I quite enjoyed this. Probably nothing new for those who know their stuff, but I enjoyed it - does the job of building tension very well, and the cast are mercifully non annoying for one where you can expect a few  characters to scream. Patrick Wilson is always good too and it's been a well since I've seen the fella from Office Space / Band of Brothers in anything. He's good too!

2012 - :D - yeah I know. continuing a disaster movie spell I've been going through, finally got round to watching this. I knew it was supposed to be pretty bad going in but I did not expect it to be as abysmal as it ended up being, and it goes on for ever. The enjoyment from mocking the rubbishness was replaced by the sense of "when will it end". Some of the scenes involve staggeringly shit CGI, the dialogue and set pieces and plot were all over the place. 

Edited by Rodders

Disaster movie fans, looking forward to Geostorm? Saw the trailer for the first time at the weekend, hadn't so much as heard of it before. Seems very much in the vein of 2012, Armageddon, San Andreas, etc...in other words, a bit shit, but huge production values, and an odd sense that you can't help but like it despite knowing better :D

6 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

@Xela aside, who is the market for those kind of films these days?! 

Who actively sits down to watch a film and thinks, I wonder if that new gangster flick with Danny Dyer is any good? Shall we give it a go? 

Even Pooligan won't watch them for about another 15-20 years, so how the flying do they make any money?! 

I'm keeping Dyer's film career alive

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Almost certainly not i would imagine. Streaming services whether its music or video seem to benefit the customer more than the supplier to my eyes. Seems to be a take it or leave it market though.

With regards to video streaming there's some interesting developments going on in America at the moment. The all in one system is obviously what benefits consumers the most ala Amazon Prime or Netflix but unfortunately the content providers are looking at this thinking we want a bigger piece of the pie, the net result is you now have Hulu, Netflix, Prime, HBO etc... even Disney are now using their own streaming model. Its becoming so diluted that the all in one solution the cable offered has almost come full circle in being the more economically viable again. Not sure where the future lies to be honest and how it will affect us.

I subscribe to Netflix, Prime and Now TV and I don't really want it diluted any more! I'd hate for it to fragmented studio by studio. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hogso said:

Disaster movie fans, looking forward to Geostorm? Saw the trailer for the first time at the weekend, hadn't so much as heard of it before. Seems very much in the vein of 2012, Armageddon, San Andreas, etc...in other words, a bit shit, but huge production values, and an odd sense that you can't help but like it despite knowing better :D

can't wait. It looks absolutely horrendous :D  

In my recent disaster spell San Andreas was relatively good compared to  2012.  

Trying to roughly list disaster movies I've seen:

Deep Impact / Volcano / The Day After Tomorrow / Dante's Peak /  San Andreas  / Armagaddon -/Core - a descending order of naff but still entertaining  films ( being generous to Core ) 

2012 - standalone filth. 

Geostorm looks like it'll be closer to 2012 than the others I must say. 

Edited by Rodders

3 hours ago, hogso said:

Er, there aren't any reviews for It yet.

Are there?

Yeah loads, came out 3 weeks ago in the states

got 16% on RT, haven't read many of them or any properly but I think the main consensus was that it's a bit boring and doesn't make a great deal of sense if you don't know the books

4 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

The only winner in that scenario is Kodi! 

I'd read about Disney, I'd also seen something about iPlayer becoming a paid streaming service (might have that wrong TBF)? 

If people have to sign up to more than 2/3 it becomes an issue, people will just get pissed off. 

I don't mind weighing in for Sky, Netflix and Prime because I make good use of all 3, but wouldn't want anymore. I struggle to get to all the stuff I want to see as it is. 

The Disney thing might work because kids will just nag their parents to death until they get it, but I dunno, they need to be careful imo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah loads, came out 3 weeks ago in the states

got 16% on RT, haven't read many of them or any properly but I think the main consensus was that it's a bit boring and doesn't make a great deal of sense if you don't know the books

It definitely didn't, and it definitely hasn't. 

I would suggest you're getting horribly mixed up with...well I have no idea. But something. You are talking about It, right? Not The Dark Tower...? 

Edited by hogso

Check it's wiki! They did a special release at the moma by the looks of it on the 31st July followed by a general release on the 4th August, not sure when the review screeners were out but it's been at least since then, uk reviews coming through last couple of days, haven't watched kermode cos it's Robbie Collins or whatever his name is, did see the guardian gave it 2/5 but haven't read that review

4 hours ago, Rodders said:

Deep Impact / Volcano / The Day After Tomorrow / Dante's Peak /  San Andreas  / Armagaddon -/Core - a descending order of naff but still entertaining  films ( being generous to Core ) 

Surely you mean ascending order? The Core is pretty much the most entertaining film ever made. 

I think deep impact is brilliant. Armageddon is OK. And the day after tomorrow is actually underrated.

2012 was pretty bad. Can't bring myself to watch San Andreas

• Like 1

Â