The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

49 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Force Awakens better than Rogue One.

That Vader scene at the end of RO though.......

I'd argue it's one of the best bits in any of the films. 

Said it before, we need a stand alone Vader film. 2 hours of him rampaging through the Galaxy, set after ROTS and before RO. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Force Awakens has... Er... 

...the bit where Han and Chewie board the Falcon, "Chewie, we're home"

That moment alone makes it a 12/10 on the Pooligan/Lapal_fan rating scale! 

• Like 1

Its a tough one... not sure what i'd choose as my favourite. Probably RO at the moment but that may just be down to the fact its fresh in my mind. 

22 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I was trying not to say nostalgia stuff. It's not really an example of the film being good. They could have had 2 hours of a panning shot of a turd punctuated the with old Han and Chewie going 'we're home', Leia walking into shot, Vader breathing and light sabers igniting and that would have nostalgia.

The Force Awakens is just a well made rerun of a New Hope with mildly different furnishing. It's like a new setting of a Shakespeare. New cast and new background and costumes but it's still 'alas poor Yorick'.

Force awakens has a really poor scene at the start of the 2nd act 

rogue one has forest Whittaker 

that was about it for me on first viewing, after a couple more and a bit more thought in to it force awakens lost a bit more, rogue one remains excellent imo 

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I was trying not to say nostalgia stuff. It's not really an example of the film being good. They could have had 2 hours of a panning shot of a turd punctuated the with old Han and Chewie going 'we're home', Leia walking into shot, Vader breathing and light sabers igniting and that would have nostalgia.

The Force Awakens is just a well made rerun of a New Hope with mildly different furnishing. It's like a new setting of a Shakespeare. New cast and new background and costumes but it's still 'alas poor Yorick'.

I was joking TBF. I love it, but only really because of the nostalgia factor. You're absolutely right, it doesn't make it a 'good film' as such, but it was the film the franchise needed IMO and it ticked pretty much all the required boxes. 

I have a feeling the next one will be this generations 'Empire' 

I think they're going to purposefully stay away from the themes of empire after the comparisons to a new hope

also think the new film comes off the back of 2 really well received SW films whereas force awakens came off a hiatus following 3 god awful ones, lot off expectations on this film, expecting it to be solid but unspectacular which could be labelled as mildly disappointing, then expecting the Han Solo film to be really disappointing

that said I probably think the same about marvel films and they keep making enjoyable ones

It drips nostalgia but I like that! I grew up watching Star Wars over and over again. 

The disappointment I had when I watched The Phantom Menace at New St Odeon lives with me to this day! 

I'm glad the new films are good. 

Edited by Xela

Finally watched A room for Romeo Brass yesterday.

Shane meadows is so good at what he does, another excellent performance from Paddy Considine as well, that guy does unhinged far too well for my liking. Slightly weak ending i thought but a very solid debut film.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

**** OFF HAVE ANY OF MY FILM REVIEWS GIVEN ANYTHING MORE THAN 9.5/10 (barring Jurassic Park). 

<_<

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Its ok but not a patch on the first one, an absolute classic is that.

"Evacuation com.....Evacuation com.....

Disagree.

I think Goldmember is the best of the bunch. Hilarious film.

• Confused 2

On 14/08/2017 at 20:03, villa4europe said:

Hunt-For-The-Wilderpeople-960x1440-Portr

really enjoyable, took me ages to getting round to watch it and im not sure why, got a good mix of genuine belly laugh moments and just charming moments that brought a smile to my face, the kid is excellent, the director has gone on to the new Thor film which looks in good hands

I assume you've seen:

WHAT-WE-DO-IN-THE-SHADOWS-poster.jpg

• Like 2

Â