The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I saw Ghost in the Shell today. I had seen the original a long long time ago I could barely remember the plot.

I thought the film was very good. It looked very pretty in IMAX and had a nice style to it and some decent action. Only one of the fight scenes at the end really looked CGI when's she's jumping on some bricks other than that the technology was pretty well handled.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heffoman said:

I saw Ghost in the Shell today. I had seen the original a long long time ago I could barely remember the plot.

I thought the film was very good. It looked very pretty in IMAX and had a nice style to it and some decent action. Only one of the fight scenes at the end really looked CGI when's she's jumping on some bricks other than that the technology was pretty well handled.

I thought it looked great in IMAX, but the film itself was just decent and nothing more. Not seen the original, but it just felt this was too short and something was lacking. 

3 hours ago, heffoman said:

Yep, just got back from seeing it and it was very enjoyable indeed.

Absolutely superb visually, the story rattles along at a great pace and it certainly doesn't outstay it's welcome.

13 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Yep, just got back from seeing it and it was very enjoyable indeed.

Absolutely superb visually, the story rattles along at a great pace and it certainly doesn't outstay it's welcome.

So it's not Lucy Mk II ?

Really? That would make it the first DC film I'd be interested in watching. Love everything I've seen Whedon do myself. Can't think of anything he's ever failed at and female characters are his forte too so should be good. Did he do Age of Ultron? That one did feel a little underwhelming (in relative terms, still enjoyed it )

Edited by Rodders

14 hours ago, heffoman said:

out of curiosity I googled images of the original film. Not many of the characters in it especially the major look Asian.

Heh, well, anime characters aren't typically designed to look Asian. In fact they barely ever do. However, the story is set in Japan, and all of the characters have Japanese names, so they are Japanese.

In regards to the 'whitewashing', the film wouldn't have been made by Hollywood/America/The West as it has been with an English speaking Japanese/American-Japanese female lead, it's unfortunately as simple as that.

13 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Really? That would make it the first DC film I'd be interested in watching. Love everything I've seen Whedon do myself. Can't think of anything he's ever failed at and female characters are his forte too so should be good. Did he do Age of Ultron? That one did feel a little underwhelming (in relative terms, still enjoyed it )

Supposedly it's going to be the Barbara Gordon story arc, or a version of it.

Makes sense really, daddy James Gordon has a TV series with Gotham so she gets a movie.

Everyone gets a movie!

Can't wait for the 3h Alfred backstory movie, only a matter of time...

• Like 1

Given that they're already doing a Nightwing film, a Batgirl film makes a full Batfamily movie only a few steps away... Robin, Red Robin, Red Hood, Batwoman, the Birds of Prey... You could even squeeze Azrael in there.

Some Warner exec just had a wet dream at the thought of that. 'We don't even need Affleck! We've got a load of other characters with the same gimmick!'

6 hours ago, Rodders said:

He did Age of Ultron.

When I said I can't stand him, more him than his ability. Though I wasn't a fan of Firefly or the film, Serenity, I think it was called? 

I've watched quite a few on Netflix this week.  Hannibal Rising, I love Lecter and was disappointed by the book but found the film quite good, 7/10.  Then Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, the English version, again a pretty decent effort of putting the book on screen, 7/10.  Then Fight Club, nuff said 9/10 and the Steve Jobs film which was OK, I've never been much of an Apple fan, 7/10.  

Â