The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Ghost in the Shell is rather good.

Exceptional looking, astoundingly stylish (who'd have thought a badly nodded Esprit could be so cool), excellent soundtrack, well made all round. Suffers a bit for being derivative (I'm guessing the original would have ground breaking but that was 20 years ago i think?) and unusually it's too short, removing any subtlety from it, meaning it's another movie that suffers from the allegory hammer. There's an absolute clunker in the first lines of the film which basically turns to the camera and says 'THESE ARE THE THEMES AND IDEAS OF THE FILM AND THIS IS WHAT THE TITLE MEANS'. It does this a few times and it's a bit jarring.

But... It's good. It's really good. I'm keen to see a sequel and I'd happily see it again. 

Also, the people slamming it for white washing are going to have an absolute shit for when they actually watch it :D

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 02:40, sne said:

Bit OT, but turns out Sharknado was actually not that far fetched :o:crylaugh:

C8JB9mfUQAEI-_b.jpg

I recognise this photo, because it is from my corner of the world. Due to a tropical cyclone, it enabled sharks to depart the seas and walk the earth. There was a lot of structural damage done to the townships involved, and the official line is its due to the storm's destructive 260 km/h winds, but it was really caused by flying sharks trying to get to the tasty nom noms inside.

Next they will be wearing people's clothes, and try to blend in amongst our society. They will have jobs like us, be our neighbours, attend raves as if they just cant stop movin', but they will simply be killing machines in disguise, waiting for that opportunity.

I will get started on a screenplay first thing tomorrow.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AJ said:

I recognise this photo, because it is from my corner of the world. Due to a tropical cyclone, it enabled sharks to depart the seas and walk the earth. There was a lot of structural damage done to the townships involved, and the official line is its due to the storm's destructive 260 km/h winds, but it was really caused by flying sharks trying to get to the tasty nom noms inside.

Next they will be wearing people's clothes, and try to blend in amongst our society. They will have jobs like us, be our neighbours, attend raves as if they just cant stop movin', but they will simply be killing machines in disguise, waiting for that opportunity.

I will get started on a screenplay first thing tomorrow.

a_shark_in_a_tuxedo_by_brittam-d4ded7s.j

• Like 1

Was hungover yesterday so watched three films back to back.

Clueless - dunno why i watched it, but it got me very nostalgic. it is what it is.

The Intouchables (or Untouchable) - I know I'm late to the party on this one but what a brilliant film. Hilariously funny and a real tear jerker as well. Wonderful from start to finish.

The Young Offenders - got round to watching this. It wasn't amazing but it had more than it's share of funny moments. Definitely worth a watch but to be honest I was more entertained by seeing parts of West Cork, including the village I stay in when I go, in a proper movie :D 

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 20:54, theboyangel said:

The Greasy Strangler was as bizarre and WTF as I expected! 

Those prosthetics! 

Hootie Tooie Disco Cutie!  

• Like 1

Saw Life over the weekend. It was watchable even if it was fairly predictable and the more i think about it the more i can see some plot holes that really annoy me. I really am hit and miss with this genre, id probably rank it above Arrival but so far away from Interstellar or The Martian. Worth a watch but doubt i'd bother watching it again. 

Just watched The Accountant with Ben Affleck.

Realy enjoyed it. Good action scenes, interesting characters and a plot that kept me wondering till the end. Great little standalone thriller/action movie.

Edited by Ginko

Blood orange.

a very low budget, 4 character story of an aging musician (iggy pop) shacked up in a remote villa in Spain with his much younger stunning wife who is boning the pool boy. 

Her ex then turns up demanding money from his fathers inheritance... 

its a good yarn, iggy can't act for toffee but is somehow compelling in his role. 

35 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Blood orange.

a very low budget, 4 character story of an aging musician (iggy pop) shacked up in a remote villa in Spain with his much younger stunning wife who is boning the pool boy. 

Her ex then turns up demanding money from his fathers inheritance... 

its a good yarn, iggy can't act for toffee but is somehow compelling in his role. 

Ah come on, he's brilliant in those insurance adverts! ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Lasted 30 seconds of Jobs. I had to turn it off before I puked.

Made by Apple fans for Apple fans. Don't watch if you're in any way discerning.

Is that the Danny Boyle one or the one starring Ashton Kutcher, which I thought was dreadful because he was dreadful. The best one I think was Pirates of Silicon Valley.

9 hours ago, PaulC said:

Is that the Danny Boyle one or the one starring Ashton Kutcher, which I thought was dreadful because he was dreadful. The best one I think was Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Ashton Kutcher one.

I loved pirates of silicon valley. Been ages since I watched it. Thankfully it's more balanced because it was made pre- iPhone so he gets an honest appraisal rather than a cult worship.

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

Ashton Kutcher one.

I loved pirates of silicon valley. Been ages since I watched it. Thankfully it's more balanced because it was made pre- iPhone so he gets an honest appraisal rather than a cult worship.

Yes it was  fascinating insight to how it all started with Apple and Microsoft. I thought the Kutcher one was an insult to Jobs. If he had have been alive then he surely wouldn'tt have let it go

Watched a film called Middle Man yesterday...I'm still thinking about it now.

Its essentially a black comedy but its as black as they come, its not perfect by any means but for what appears to be a first time director and a miniscule budget he's really crafted something interesting here and I'm certainly interested to see what he does next.

Jim O'Heir plays the main guy Lenny, from his IMDB it seems that people will most likely know him from Parks and Rec but having never seen that show before this is the first time I've seen him in anything and he is fantastic here playing Lenny just right as a loser but someone who could explode at any minute.

Lenny is on his way to Vegas and against his better judgement stops to pick up a hitchhiker, they stop along the way at a redneck bar where Lenny convinced by his new pal tries his hand at the open mic night (he is travelling to Vegas to pursue his dream of being a comedian after all). He bombs of course but after getting blind drunk he wakes up the following morning to an interesting discovery in the boot of his car and the film gets weirder from there.

This is definitely not a film for everyone but if you like something a bit different its highly recommended.

8/10

Edited by AVFCDAN

10 hours ago, darrenm said:

Ashton Kutcher one.

The Danny Boyle one is decent. 

Â