The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 hours ago, hogso said:

Fixed

like i said i havent seen the big japanese "new ghibli" effort yet, your name, which is meant to be very good

ghibli to me still underrated here, when marnie was there got a really quiet release despite the oscar nod, dont know who has the rights to show them here, it was film 4, ive not seen any of them on tv since ponyo

Are they all on Prime? I know Ronja the Robber's Daughter, Ghibli's first TV series, is coming to Prime soon as they announced an English dub headed by Gillian Anderson a few months ago.

• Like 1

Got around to watching Rogue One last night at the flicks... wonderfully deserted cinema, the benefit of waiting until everyone else has seen it :D

Enjoyed it!  Thought it was much much better than The Force Reawakens...

Spoiler

Pros:
- Better actors (Villains are proper ones not kids)
- Decent plot - love how it dovetails into the start of A New Hope
- Felt it was more of a grown up film than TFR - the fact that they allowed them all to die rather than try and pull off a fairytale ending was so satisfying (I don't know what that says about me!)

Cons:
- Not enough Forrest Whittaker - I know they steer away fro giving famous actors big parts in these films, but it was such a waste of what seemed a really good character.
- Probably could have cut 20mins from the middle somewhere for me

Edited by GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Got around to watching Rogue One last night at the flicks... wonderfully deserted cinema, the benefit of waiting until everyone else has seen it :D

Enjoyed it!  Thought it was much much better than The Force Reawakens...

Hide contents

Pros:
- Better actors (Villains are proper ones not kids)
- Decent plot - love how it dovetails into the start of A New Hope
- Felt it was more of a grown up film than TFR - the fact that they allowed them all to die rather than try and pull off a fairytale ending was so satisfying (I don't know what that says about me!)

Cons:
- Not enough Forrest Whittaker - I know they steer away fro giving famous actors big parts in these films, but it was such a waste of what seemed a really good character.
- Probably could have cut 20mins from the middle somewhere for me

really!

in a film with hardly any negatives for me he was a massive one, awful character and blatantly reshot

• Like 2

Just watched The Blind Side

i knew Bullock won an Oscar for her roll in this film but nothing else 

ive no idea how close to the truth the film is but there's not a lot to fault in the film itself , might be one of the best films I've watched  this year :)

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Just watched The Blind Side

i knew Bullock won an Oscar for her roll in this film but nothing else 

ive no idea how close to the truth the film is but there's not a lot to fault in the film itself , might be one of the best films I've watched  this year :)

Gosh, really? I thought it was abysmal. In fact, I was at a dinner party once with strangers, and sat at one end of the table talking to my wife. Anyway, I heard this woman I'd never met before mention The Blind Side and I needed to get it off my chest, so I said something like 'God, isn't it just terrible? What a bore. And just how annoying is her messiah complex. Only a soft-head would like that movie', at which point she said, quite quietly, 'I was just explaining it was my favourite movie', 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Gosh, really? I thought it was abysmal. In fact, I was at a dinner party once with strangers, and sat at one end of the table talking to my wife. Anyway, I heard this woman I'd never met before mention The Blind Side and I needed to get it off my chest, so I said something like 'God, isn't it just terrible? What a bore. And just how annoying is her messiah complex. Only a soft-head would like that movie', at which point she said, quite quietly, 'I was just explaining it was my favourite movie', 

You should check your pulse as you are clearly dead inside :P

but each to their own and good luck getting invited to the next dinner party :)

• Like 1

Ah, I read it the other way.

I took 'might' be 'one of' the best films watched this year, on January 4th, as being a pretty poor review.

I was clearly dialling in a level of sarcasm and mischief that wasn't there!

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Ah, I read it the other way.

I took 'might' be 'one of' the best films watched this year, on January 4th, as being a pretty poor review.

I was clearly dialling in a level of sarcasm and mischief that wasn't there!

the 4th Jan comment then , yep insert Rainier Luftwaffe Wolfcastle  jpg here

but  , I genuinely thought it was a great film , the first 30 mins had me with a lump in my throat I haven't experienced watching my TV since the littlest Hobo used to leave town at the end of every episode

Child 44 was pretty good, though I seem to remember the climax of the book being different to the film version.  I'm never sure whether it's better for films set in another country to have characters speaking English in a foreign accent.  I reckon they should either do it in their language with subtitles or just play it straight in English without the accent.  At times I was straining to understand what Tom Hardy was saying.

Child 44 is undermined by there being a more interesting movie to be made about the things that inspired it rather than the film they made. 

And English with accents is always a bad idea. At best you don't notice, at worst it's just silly. I love the US remake of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but the accents are maddening in that. Craig doesn't bother, Plummer does but is obviously half arsing it, Mara does it heavily (but well), and Skarsgaard actually is Swedish. Rinse and repeat for the rest of the cast.

• Like 1

Remarkably I'd never seen the alien films so have them a shot  the last few nights.

1+2 were good, think I preferred 2 just, but the suspense in the first is very good. 3 got boring, don't think I'll venture into the later ones in the series as can't imagine there is a decent new storyline there.

So over the Xmas period I watched....

Krisha - Interesting film, deals with mental illness / addiction in an interesting way and the background audio (not going to call it a soundtrack as that feels wrong) was incredibly well done. I'd give it a solid 8/10

Morgan - Utter shite. 

Inside Out - Thought it was a very good clever kids film. Liked it 7/10

The 33 - Probably could have been better, i'm a huge fan of true stories but the characters in this film were just so dull I didn't really care for them or know who was who. 5/10

Deepwater Horizon - I really liked this, I'm sure it's a story that skirts around the truth a bit for Hollywood impact but it was entertaining 7/10

Edited by PieFacE

Â