The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

22 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Blade runner.... Really don't get the hype

scroll forwards to about 3 minutes, then realise that type of thing hadn't been done before. It wasn't cgi, either. And the soundtrack is exceptional. Tremendous film.

• Like 3

On 04/01/2017 at 23:58, mikeyp102 said:

Remarkably I'd never seen the alien films so have them a shot  the last few nights.

1+2 were good, think I preferred 2 just, but the suspense in the first is very good. 3 got boring, don't think I'll venture into the later ones in the series as can't imagine there is a decent new storyline there.

Yeah I'd pretty much agree.

Although the first one is the best. It's a msterpiece.

Aliens is very good too, but it's a totally different kind of movie to the first.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

Hollywood dont make em as good anymore 

I heard this week that Rutger Hauer improvised that speech. Pretty cool to improvise the best death ever.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Alien3 is still my favourite.

Yeah I know

I'd maintain that the Assembly cut of 3 is a decent movie, better than the theatrical, but it's still third in the rankings of Alien movies.

• Like 3

Just now, Chindie said:

I'd maintain that the Assembly cut of 3 is a decent movie, better than the theatrical, but it's still third in the rankings of Alien movies.

Er yes. I fully agree with whatever that means :-)

Just now, darrenm said:

Er yes. I fully agree with whatever that means :-)

'The theatrical cut of Alien 3 isn't very good, but better than Resurrection. The studio issued Assembly cut, which re-edited the movie and added in scenes, is better than the theatrical, but it's still the third best Allen movie.'

• Like 1

Batman vs Superman

I'm probably going against the grain here, but i actually thought it was ok. Yes, its a but jumbled and there are bits where even this type of movie takes huge liberties (Batman has been plotting revenge on Superman for years but all the anger is dispersed just because their moms share the same name!) and I'm never a fan of the long fight scenes as there is just too much destruction going on, however, that being said I like the characters individually. I guess I've always preferred DC characters to Marvel ones. Its far from prefect but its not as bad as I had been led t expect it would be.

A surprising 6/10

Saw Assassin's Creed yesterday. 

It's a very accurate adaptation, in that it makes all the same mistakes the games do with the plot, notably that the present day stuff is completely shit and nobody cares and is not the reason anyone is watching or playing, and the fundamental concept doesn't really work. 

Odd film. There's little outright bad about it. But the sum of its parts is rubbish. Also the thing looks crap. Everything is dull and either muted grey and blue or beige, and everything has a haze to it with a completely mental fascination with smoke and fog everywhere. 

Not the franchise starter Ubisoft wanted I suspect. 

Also saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople yesterday. Watch this movie. 

And The Neon Demon. Which was weird and looks and sounds absolutely fantastic.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Also saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople yesterday. Watch this movie. 

I bought the HD digital version for £12.99 and 2 weeks later it appears on Netflix :(

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Batman vs Superman

I'm probably going against the grain here, but i actually thought it was ok. Yes, its a but jumbled and there are bits where even this type of movie takes huge liberties (Batman has been plotting revenge on Superman for years but all the anger is dispersed just because their moms share the same name!) and I'm never a fan of the long fight scenes as there is just too much destruction going on, however, that being said I like the characters individually. I guess I've always preferred DC characters to Marvel ones. Its far from prefect but its not as bad as I had been led t expect it would be.

A surprising 6/10

after a better second watching of a couple of films that i didnt rate very highly first time round (such as battle of five armies) i thought id give BvS another go, think i lasted 20 minutes before turning it off, the film had jumped around something like 7 times by then, the pacing, the editing, the CGI of superman smashing the place up, the characters they make no effort to develop put in to scenarios they make no effort to explain, its just garbage

18 hours ago, blandy said:

scroll forwards to about 3 minutes, then realise that type of thing hadn't been done before. It wasn't cgi, either. 

It's similar to why Citizen Kane, in spite of being an obvious go-to is such a phenomenal achievement.

If it were released today then it would be a good film. For what it was and what had gone before in 1940, it was miraculous

Â