The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Yeah that's another very good example @villa4europe. I'd be the same.  Where Hollywood tries to re-write history under the pathetic guise of 'telling the real story' (my arse).  I did watch Argo, but I'm told it vastly played down, for example, Canada's contribution to that whole story almost entirely in favour of America's one.  I have no interest in stuff like Zero Dark Thirty or American Sniper and I can smell propogandist shit, or "America, **** yeah!" as you put it, a mile off.

If you're going to shun films because they prioritize narrative over perfect historical accuracy then you're going to miss out on a lot of good films.

Unless it's only American historical accuracy that particularly irks you. But even then you never see JFK, Bridge Of Spies, Straight Outta Compton, Serpico, Selma, Zodiac, Bonnie & Clyde, The Untouchables and hundreds more things when the story has been changed pretty dramatically.

And I think through not seeing it you might have misjudged the tone of Zero Dark Thirty.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows. Solid 6/10, Megan Fox looks absolutely stunning, I had a semi for more than just Raphael.

Jason Bourne.8/10 Seemed like a rehash of the earlier films but gets major bonus points for Alicia Vikander.

Hard Target 2. 5/10 pretty much what you'd expect, saved by Rhona Mitra,

17 hours ago, villa4europe said:

triple 9 was disappointingly something thats been done hundreds of times before

Watched triple 9 last night and whilst it didn't blow me away it wasn't as bad as I feared. 

A very good cast and decent showings from casey affleck, woody harrelson and Kate winslet (pretty unrecognisable with one of the best cinematic hairdos of recent years!)

however I do agree it was all a little formulaic and predictable. 

I'll generally avoid Jane Austen type ones ( being specific to avoid saying all period dramas ) as the environment is something I do not care a hang for, or if I suspect the tone is going to be up it's own arse abstract kooky surrealism. I don't mind abstract ideas, I don't mind surrealism and I don't mind kookiness, but the holy trinity put together by a director who takes pleasure in knowing only the purest of the pure will understand the damn thing drives me up the wall.

16 hours ago, ml1dch said:

If you're going to shun films because they prioritize narrative over perfect historical accuracy then you're going to miss out on a lot of good films.

Unless it's only American historical accuracy that particularly irks you. But even then you never see JFK, Bridge Of Spies, Straight Outta Compton, Serpico, Selma, Zodiac, Bonnie & Clyde, The Untouchables and hundreds more things when the story has been changed pretty dramatically.

And I think through not seeing it you might have misjudged the tone of Zero Dark Thirty.

no you're missing my point, american history films dont bother me, none of those films you listed bother me in the slightest, what i hate watching are films that are trying to tickle the bollocks of patriotic americans, hollywood spending 2 hours telling what an amazing military might the US of A is, so like i said act of valor, lone survivor, olympus has fallen, the secret soldiers of Benghazi 

@BOF IF you've been convinced to watch The Big Short (it really is worth the watch) and it ends up whetting your appetite to know a bit more, I can recommend watching The Inside Job afterwards. It's a documentary narrated by Matt Damon and accompanies the film very well. 

33 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

@BOF IF you've been convinced to watch The Big Short (it really is worth the watch) and it ends up whetting your appetite to know a bit more, I can recommend watching The Inside Job afterwards. It's a documentary narrated by Matt Damon and accompanies the film very well. 

I'd add in 99 Homes too

• Like 3

Deathstroke looks like he's going to be an antagonist for Affleck's solo Batman film. Or maybe a cameo in Justice League.

That could almost be a shot from the second series of Arrow, the outfit is very similar. Decent villain to go for though. Not been done on film before, can put up a fight hand to hand (hopefully done better than Bane) and he easily allows another villain to be in the background manipulating things... Affleck's Batman movie might be decent. Maybe.

On 3 September 2016 at 22:00, Rds1983 said:

Just watched The Lobster, somewhat confusing. I think I liked it but I'm not really sure.

I watched this yesterday, loved it.  Completely absurd and some of the deadpan delivery was hilarious.

Â