The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Neon Demon

Firstly this is a marmite film, that's for sure. As you would expect from the director of Drive and Only God Forgives it is visually stunning. The use of lights and mirrors here is great, he creates a great sense of unease throughout the movie where you aren't always sure if you are watching a dream or fantasy or if it's really happening. The soundtrack dominates and mostly complements the movie. The problem is that once you get past this there really isn't much there. This could be a comment on the vacuous world of modeling or maybe just the short sighted nature of the director who is more interested in startling the viewer than educating them.

It blurs the lines between fantasy and horror throughout which I can appreciate, Elle Fanning is great here and Jena Malone is almost unrecognisable here from past roles, but then you have to remind yourself that Donnie Darko is 15 years old now....

Impossible to give a rating but I enjoyed it.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

On 02/09/2016 at 20:00, ml1dch said:

If you're going to shun films because they prioritize narrative over perfect historical accuracy then you're going to miss out on a lot of good films.

Unless it's only American historical accuracy that particularly irks you. But even then you never see JFK, Bridge Of Spies, Straight Outta Compton, Serpico, Selma, Zodiac, Bonnie & Clyde, The Untouchables and hundreds more things when the story has been changed pretty dramatically.

And I think through not seeing it you might have misjudged the tone of Zero Dark Thirty.

No I dont mind the smaller scale stuff, and I've seen Serpico, Zodiac & B&B.  It's only the large scale foreign policy re-imagining that I avoid.

10 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Neon Demon

Firstly this is a marmite film, that's for sure. As you would expect from the director of Drive and Only God Forgives it is visually stunning. The use of lights and mirrors here is great, he creates a great sense of unease throughout the movie where you aren't always sure if you are watching a dream or fantasy or if it's really happening. The soundtrack dominates and mostly complements the movie. The problem is that once you get past this there really isn't much there. This could be a comment on the vacuous world of modeling or maybe just the short sighted nature of the director who is more interested in startling the viewer than educating them.

It blurs the lines between fantasy and horror throughout which I can appreciate, Elle Fanning is great here and Jena Malone is almost unrecognisable here from past roles, but then you have to remind yourself that Donnie Darko is 15 years old now....

Impossible to give a rating but I enjoyed it.

Ooh, that was on my list when I saw the trailer a while ago.  Cheers for reminding me.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Rewatch of Civil War tonight.

That movie holds up.

It actually did something that not many films do for me on Sunday  ... Allowed me to sleep on a 9 hour flight as I dozed off during it .... Something even "our kind of traitor " failed to do 

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Anyone watching "One More Time With Feeling" tonight?

I really wanted to but i'd already got other plans.

I imagine it's going to be a very unique experience. Enjoy :thumb: (if that's the correct word).

• Like 1

On 05/09/2016 at 07:59, Rugeley Villa said:

Eye in the sky. Watched it last night and I've never been so on edge and so annoyed watching a film. Good film though.

Yes watched it last night too on google movies. Totally engrossing film. Hated the Helen Mirren character. Must have been Alan Rickman's last film. Sad watching it knowing he died soon after. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes watched it last night too on google movies. Totally engrossing film. Hated the Helen Mirren character. Must have been Alan Rickman's last film. Sad watching it knowing he died soon after. 

Yeah she pissed me off alot, especially near the end when she got the black geezer to lie about the risk to civilians. Very good film and I was sweating through most of it. Another thing that pissed me off was every sod kept passing the book.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Anyone watching "One More Time With Feeling" tonight?

I idiotically timed moving house with the screening of the film. I'm taking my mate for a few beers tonight, to thank him for helping me. He's not a Cave fan, so he wouldn't want to go either. Some of my other friends are going, and I was supposed to be going with them. Bit gutted now I think about it, as it's also on in the new cinema that's been built in the town. Would have liked to have checked that out too. Think I'll probably buy the album tomorrow though. 

• Like 1

Well that was something.  Very sad.  

They decided to make it in 3D for some stupid reason,  personally I think it ruined the experience a bit.  Made something very unique and desperate seem gimmicky,  maybe that was the point?  Not sure.  Should have been 2D imo.  

Jason Bourne 4/10 pretty bad.

Exactly the same story as every other Bourne film.

Every action sequence is unwatchable because the camera is jumping about so much.

The tech stuff is ridiculous and looks like a YouTube spoof. Enhance! Laptops being powered off by a phone in the same room which had been hacked into by someone in the CIA. Utterly ridiculous shit.

Main totty nice though

Â