The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The Good Neighbor

An interesting premise.  2 high school kids rig an old grumpy neighbour's house with gadgets to try and convince him it's haunted or that he's insane, and they film the whole thing.  Suffice to say things don't go quite to plan.  I enjoyed it as I knew nothing about it beforehand so didn't know what to expect.  James Caan was good and it ticks along at a good pace.  Worth a watch as it's only just over the hour and a half and not all is as it seems ...

I'll give it a 6.8/10 :)

4 hours ago, coda said:

The priest is the director? 

Yup. 

3 hours ago, darrenm said:

Must go and see that then. What We Do In The Shadows is my favourite ever film.

It's a little less of an obvious comedy than WWDITS but it's still very funny and in the same vein. It's a nice little story though, heart-warming.

Edited by Ginko

Neon Demon - looks great, sounds great, well performed. The plot is probably the thinnest of any film I've seen for...well, a good while. As a result I don't think it'd hold up to a repeat viewing, as at 2 hours long it feels long, and the entirety of the plot could be shown in less than 10 minutes.

As it happens, I don't mind a slow burner. More, the growing sense of foreboding was enough keep me with it, and I was intrigued to see the inevitable 'clash' - and I loved the ending. 

The obvious analogy for the fashion industry isn't particularly clever or groundbreaking by any means, but then I don't think it's supposed to be, instead it's a vehicle for what I would assume was a sick little story about the fashion industry in the directors head, rather than an expose or something. 

Fans of Refn and movies like Under the Skin and Antichrist would enjoy. 

For those who have seen it (please don't read if you intend to watch it as it will spoil the ending), best ever use of foreshadowing in this early conversation? 

Spoiler

"Are you sex or food?" 

Edited by hogso

On 18/9/2016 at 19:56, villa4europe said:

tarzan is just a confusing mess, it starts in a weird place, had an OK tale to tell but tells it really badly, the 2 villains don't work (you know youve got problems when waltz doesn't work...) it's a bit boring

He was the worst part of Spectre which says a lot and I dont think ive seen him have a good performance since Inglorious Basterds. I honestly think he is a poor actor

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

not as good as the original but the Magnificent Seven is entertaining enough though probably needed a stronger bad guy

It's a remake of a remake so it was always going to suffer from dilution.

• Like 1

On 23/09/2016 at 13:18, BOF said:

The Good Neighbor

An interesting premise.  2 high school kids rig an old grumpy neighbour's house with gadgets to try and convince him it's haunted or that he's insane, and they film the whole thing.  Suffice to say things don't go quite to plan.  I enjoyed it as I knew nothing about it beforehand so didn't know what to expect.  James Caan was good and it ticks along at a good pace.  Worth a watch as it's only just over the hour and a half and not all is as it seems ...

I'll give it a 6.8/10 :)

James Caan, I must give it a watch. 

14 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Swiss Army Man.

i don't even know where to start...

The film opens with Paul Dano about to hang himself on an island when a corpse washes ashore (Radcliffe). It turns out he's a farting corpse which Dano then rides off the island like a jet ski. If you thought the lobster was weird it's got nothing on this.

Edited by AVFCDAN

dheepan_ver2.jpg

Fantastic drama from Jaques Audiard (Director of A Prophet and Rust and Bone) - tells the story of three refugees who flee from the Sri Lankan civil war to make new lives in Paris.

Well recommended :thumb:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Designer1 said:

dheepan_ver2.jpg

Fantastic drama from Jaques Audiard (Director of A Prophet and Rust and Bone) - tells the story of three refugees who flee from the Sri Lankan civil war to make new lives in Paris.

Well recommended :thumb:

Trying to resist a dheepan pizza gag..... 

• Like 1

Watched the age of adeline last night. 

Very interesting idea about a woman who was born in 1908 but when she's involved in a car accident at the age of 29, she ceases to age. 

However, it was too slow and ponderous and Blake lively' accent was nauseating. 

It should've been a lot better... 

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The girl with all the gifts is getting good reviews, filmed in the Midlands, mostly in brum, stars paddy considine, sounds a fair bit like the last of us, ticks a lot of boxes for me

Looking forward to seeing this too. 

One of my best mate's daughter is in it! Well chuffed for her as it's getting great reviews 

Â