The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

15 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Awful casting. Winston was just a normal 'one of the guys' type of character who just happened to be black, why can't she be the same? This just seems more offensive than anything. Very sad.

Judging from the reaction I've seen there seems to be a lot of negativity about the black character not appearing to be a scientist of any description.

If I've followed the trailer correctly, they seem to have done the same as the first film, by having the core all white trio and then say "we need a bit of diversity here!" and bring in the fourth team member who has a different ethnicity.

If that is the case, I'm a bit surprised (but not shocked) they'd overlook that rather lazy, re-hashed plot route.

Watched 'Night of the wolf: last phases' on Netflix.

Interesting idea for for a werewolf film having the hero be an old blind guy.

Started strongly but went down hill very quickly.

Watched Amy, really good, changed my opinion of her, I always just thought of her as a smack head singing music I didn't really like and wrapped in this hypocritical "tragedy" nonsense with a dad who's a dick and a husband who's a leaching smack head

2 of those are true at least...her dad is an utter word removed, everything he's done since pissed me off before, now it really pisses me off, when your own dad is making no effort to get you clean and every effort to make as much money as possible off you then at chance do you stand?

The paparazzi as well...**** me, absolute scum, think there was a moment where there were about 20 cameras in her face as she is trying to walk 5 metres from her front door to a taxi and one of them says to her "come on love cheer up" I just don't get it and if anything the craving for celebrities is getting worse not better

Better than the cobain film IMO although neither of them changed my opinion on the music

18 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Very noticeable how all the new Ghostbusters cast have been matched up to the original.  In that case,what's point?

Money

• Like 1

The new terminator

**** me what a horrible film, I'm one of the few who thought salvation was good, they messed the trailer up really badly but the other criticisms such as it being boring etc didn't bother me, it's certainly better than this shit

This, alien, die hard, probably another coupe I can't remember...just stop!

Watching crouching tiger 2

It's lost it, the first had so much magic about it, the story was simple but yet good enough to make the end still emotional, the martial arts was people flying round the place but somehow not daft, it was strangely prettier than this one

Still not sure on the score on this one but 40 minutes in its lost that something special about it that the original had within 5 minutes, house of flying daggers had within 10 minutes

That feeling when you just know you're watching a great film, and I don't think mean hype cos more often than not that's a killer and I can't remember how or why I stumbled across it but I obtained the original before it hit the UK and it just had it in droves

Was going to add something about donnie yen because I don't think ip Man gets the credit it deserves, good films but he's never really done much, but then I've seen that he's in rogue one so maybe he will get the international break though

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Was going to add something about donnie yen because I don't think ip Man gets the credit it deserves, good films but he's never really done much, but then I've seen that he's in rogue one so maybe he will get the international break though

Donnie Yen's Ip Man is very good, so good I watched some of the other Ip Man films by other people. That was a mistake.

He wasn't great in 'legend of the fist: the return of chen zen' but that might been because the whole film was bad.

He does deserve to properly break Hollywood though.

Xmen is a strange one for me, really enjoyed days of future past, xmen 2 was superb, xmen 1 and first class were ok at best, xmen 3 was one of the worst films I've ever seen

Agree about wolverines roles in these films, think there's a danger that they elevate mystique higher than she should be because of Jennifer Lawrence, expecting it to be the pro x, magneto and mystique show with stuff going on around them, again, needs to actually go somewhere this time

Apocalypse looks god awful but he's a good actor, they've bloated the cast but there's still no forge, bishop or cable, I like that they've thrown jubilee and nightcrawler but his back story is going out the window again

Xmen was probably the film that turned me off comic book films.

Only ever saw 1 and 2 but they were both complete and utter shite. And I can't remember which film it was, but one of them contains one of the worst lines of dialogue I've ever heard in a film (well a film that wasn't taking the piss anyway)

Xmen 1 famously has some absolute clunkers of dialogue. The worst is probably the line from Storm when Toad is electrocuted. Absolutely awful.

2 is regarded pretty well though and thought of as one of the best comic book films.

3 is hopelessly bad, Origins is legitimately one of the worst films ever made, First Class is half a good movie, the Wolverine is alright, DOFP is good but lacks a great villain.

The Xmen films are a bit all over the shop really, even as a comic geek. They also increasingly suffer from a reliance on Wolverine. He's one of the best Xmen characters and enduringly popular, and Jackman does well in the role, but the Xmen are about team work and his character dominates all of the movies bar First Class to the detriment of everyone else.

Edited by Chindie

On March 3, 2016 at 10:24, Rds1983 said:

Any recommendations for a film to watch on Netflix? Any genre (but chick flick or documentary) and something not too obvious preferred as I've seen most of what Netflix would recommend for me.

Angel Heart

Stylish Noir thriller with Mickey Rourke and Robert DeNiro. Rourke's best performance. He was once a good actor, ya know. DeNiro too, for that matter!

• Like 1

Â