The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

11 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

That Triple 9 looks like it's going to be really good. 

Not quite sold on Casey Affleck but I think I can look past that.

thought it was fairly disappointing and typical cop cliche movie, expected better from a cracking cast

Saw the Leo getting raped by a bear film tonight 

meh , about 60 minutes too long ... You know your in trouble when the opening scene of a camera panning up trickling water in a forest takes 5 mins ... You can talk about how the film was lit and the amazing camera work but first and foremost id rather be entertained and sometimes a film can be too clever for its own good ... This was one of those films

Tbf I didn't hate it , the saving private Ryan but with bows and arrows opening battle was enjoyable as was the bear fight and Hardy redeemed himself for Legend but when it comes to films with bears I suspect Kung Fu Panda 3 will be more my thing 

On 26/02/2016 at 16:48, Chindie said:

The daft thing with the airport spoiler is they only decided it was a spoiler in December, and previously told merchandisers and particularly toy manufacturers they didn't need to keep it under their hat, so the cat was never in the bag and now they're trying to put it in. 

I can understand why they think is s spoiler, it potentially ruins a great moment, but it's basically Marvel dropping the ball. They decided Spiderman's costume is a bigger spoiler than anything else in the film bizarrely.

That spoiler is also revealed by some other toy lines so best avoid anything Civil War if don't want one of the movie's big moments spoiled.

11 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Saw the Leo getting raped by a bear film tonight 

meh , about 60 minutes too long ... You know your in trouble when the opening scene of a camera panning up trickling water in a forest takes 5 mins ... You can talk about how the film was lit and the amazing camera work but first and foremost id rather be entertained and sometimes a film can be too clever for its own good ... This was one of those films

Tbf I didn't hate it , the saving private Ryan but with bows and arrows opening battle was enjoyable as was the bear fight and Hardy redeemed himself for Legend but when it comes to films with bears I suspect Kung Fu Panda 3 will be more my thing 

So we're agreed then

Revenant was technically brilliant, beautiful, accomplished and all those Oscary words.  But I found it boring and was not entertained.  An element of inaccessability and an air of superiority go far.  Which again makes it bona fide Oscar material.

For pure entertainment, I watched Edge of Tomorrow last night - so daft but Cruise and Blunt are in entertaining form.  A mash up of Groundhog Day and Starship Troopers - albeit with rather less gore, and strictly no groundhogs. 

• Like 2

watched:

Spectre - 5/10 - boring, too long, convoluted plot. Better than QoS, not as good as Skyfall.

The Visit - 4/10 - M Night Shymalan being rubbish

Everest - 7.5/10 - decent gripping true story about climbing a mountain

Creed - 7.5/10 - decent fun Rocky film.  same as the last 3 Rocky films.  Boxer trains up and fights a boxing match.

35 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

fixed

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

watched:

Spectre - 5/10 - boring, too long, convoluted plot. Better than QoS, not as good as Skyfall.

The Visit - 4/10 - M Night Shymalan being rubbish

Everest - 7.5/10 - decent gripping true story about climbing a mountain

Creed - 7.5/10 - decent fun Rocky film.  same as the last 3 Rocky films.  Boxer trains up and fights a boxing match.

I'm sure I saw another Everest film based on the same people. I thought the it was a well made film and the cinematography was very good.I didn't think much of KEIRA kNIGHTLEYS accent though.

PaulC - not sure what u are saying. You saw the same film and agree with us? Tony wasn't saying it wasn't good, he was hinting that it wasn't that true.

I don't know whether it was fully true or partially true or hardly true.

I think Paul is probably referring to Into Thin Air as the film he'd seen previously ?  it was a made for TV one a few years ago of that tragedy

As for Everest artistic license is the phrase I'd use rather than not true  .. obviously the event itself did happen

they seem to have used script writers who used Krakauer  as the bulk of their  source material ..  which was probably the least truthful version of events (by all accounts)

Boukreev was the only person who really came out of that day with any credit .. and even he has been roundly criticised in many versions of the events !!

35 minutes ago, ender4 said:

PaulC - not sure what u are saying. You saw the same film and agree with us? Tony wasn't saying it wasn't good, he was hinting that it wasn't that true.

I don't know whether it was fully true or partially true or hardly true.

Yes I wasn't commenting on Tony's post  I was just giving my opinion on the fllm. The quote was left there by mistake.

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think Paul is probably referring to Into Thin Air as the film he'd seen previously ?  it was a made for TV one a few years ago of that tragedy

As for Everest artistic license is the phrase I'd use rather than not true  .. obviously the event itself did happen

they seem to have used script writers who used Krakauer  as the bulk of their  source material ..  which was probably the least truthful version of events (by all accounts)

Boukreev was the only person who really came out of that day with any credit .. and even he has been roundly criticised in many versions of the events !!

Yes thats the one. 

For pure entertainment, I watched Edge of Tomorrow last night - so daft but Cruise and Blunt are in entertaining form.  A mash up of Groundhog Day and Starship Troopers - albeit with rather less gore, and strictly no groundhogs. 

Starship troopers - now there's an underrated film, I love it, think it completely ignores all the deep and meaningful political stuff from the book and instead just fires the most bullets in a film ever while ripping people limb from limb (and with song 2 playing in my head as it happened)

Think someone has the rights to try and make a proper version of the book

6 hours ago, Rodders said:

Is that the one where Cruise gets killed about 1000 times or the one with Morgan Freeman leading a human rebellion whilst Cruise just flies a plane about.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Starship troopers - now there's an underrated film, I love it, think it completely ignores all the deep and meaningful political stuff from the book and instead just fires the most bullets in a film ever while ripping people limb from limb (and with song 2 playing in my head as it happened)

Think someone has the rights to try and make a proper version of the book

And it has Boobies in it , films always get extra marks on my scoring system if they can fit boobies into the film ... Double points if they get them out  for no obvious reason and adding nothing to the story 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Â