The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Anyway, Ben Wheatley triple bill on tonight. Not seen "A field in England" before, looks a bit "out there".

Definitely one of the most interesting directors out there at the moment. He has a 100% record with me so far as I've pretty much loved everything he's done.

A Field in England is a masterpiece imo.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Definitely one of the most interesting directors out there at the moment. He has a 100% record with me so far as I've pretty much loved everything he's done.

A Field in England is a masterpiece imo.

The new one, the JG Ballard 'High-Rise' adaptation has had some 'mixed' reviews. I'm hoping it's not as bad as all that. 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

The new one, the JG Ballard 'High-Rise' adaptation has had some 'mixed' reviews. I'm hoping it's not as bad as all that. 

I seem to remember Kill List getting some quite divisive reviews too (particularly regarding the final third) and I thought that was great. I think Wheatley is a great talent, so I have confidence that High rise will be a good watch.

High Rise is one of my most anticipated films of the year. Everything salt it looks absolutely bang on. I'll be shocked if it's not good.

Very good director. A Field in England is a miss for me, but Sightseers makes up for any miss for the rest of his career.

I enjoyed "Sightseers", since then I've seen the Mike Leigh short "Nuts in May" and was surprised with the similarities between them, at least in terms of the dynamic between the leads, the setting etc. "Sightseers" is like a nightmarish "Nuts in May", not sure how deliberate that was, but definetly worth seeing.

Most of the way through "Kill List" at the moment. I'd forgotten how disconcerting it is.

Talking of Steve Oram, he was in a low budget Irish horror/drama I saw recently called The Canal. It has a similarly eerie, bleak vibe to The Babadook and Kill List (although not quite in the same ballpark quality wise) and is worth checking out.

the_canal_a4.jpg

Have watched a couple of foreign films this week

http://www.ukhorrorscene.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Marshland-poster.jpg

Marshland - really decent IMO, two detectives from Madrid head to the marshlands nr Seville to investigate two missing sisters. Set just after the death of Franco, when was Spain just coming to terms with being a democracy.

http://nordicnoir.tv/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/HUNTERSF.jpg

The Hunters - a police officer returns to his hometown village from Stockholm and starts looking deeper into the poaching of deer, causing tension in the town and his family.

I've been struggling to remember what film I watched last weekend, you saying foreign films reminded me, I watched the remake of the secrets in their eyes

It's ok, it's a solid 6 or 7/10 whereas the original was a 9/10, it's got a good cast and good central story arc, the change to 2 women and 1 man is fine

It didn't need to be made IMO hopefully at best it will create interest in the original

Edit: the biggest change to it is they've introduced a terrorism angle to it, which to be fair they get it to work but it's still bollocks

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I've been struggling to remember what film I watched last weekend, you saying foreign films reminded me, I watched the remake of the secrets in their eyes

It's ok, it's a solid 6 or 7/10 whereas the original was a 9/10, it's got a good cast and good central story arc, the change to 2 women and 1 man is fine

It didn't need to be made IMO hopefully at best it will create interest in the original

Edit: the biggest change to it is they've introduced a terrorism angle to it, which to be fair they get it to work but it's still bollocks

I hate it when they remake great films and then bastardize it to become more american.....

The original is a masterpiece - I won't bother with the reboot....

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Why would you suffer through all of the marvel films but not watch their best film and one of the best films of recent times?!

Avengers is better than GotG, imo.

GotG was good, but completely overrated. Again, tainted by largely terrible "jokes"

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Avengers is better than GotG, imo.

GotG was good, but completely overrated. Again, tainted by largely terrible "jokes"

GOTG is one of the best movies I've ever seen and the best movie in its genre by a long shot.

I personally found the jokes very funny.

• Like 1

I love GotG, but one of the best films you've ever seen? Really?

Genuinely. I said at the time on this thread and I haven't changed my mind.

Watching a movie is all about your enjoyment. I had a fantastically enjoyable 2 hours watching GOTG, something I don't get from a lot of others.

The pace, the feel, the story, the soundtrack, the visuals, everything, just perfect. The film has no weak points.

• Like 3

Just got back in from watching The Witch. Don't watch many horror movies these days, because I feel it's a genre with very little originality, with so many retrodden ideas that I can't get excited by them, and then when they do come up with a new concept - like a trailer I saw before this movie, for a movie called Friend Request, which, you guessed it, is a horror movie based on Facebook - that idea is usually so garbage I wish they'd stuck to the same old shit. 

Anyway, The Witch wasn't massively original, but then you can't really fail to make something fairly spooky with a] forests, b] New England, c] witches and d] God-botherers, so I enjoyed it. I think the final minute of the movie, which I won't spoil, is destined to be 'divisive' to say the least. I suspect in six months' time the whole movie will be as much meme-fodder as The Sixth Sense was, and doubtless it will be witlessly 'spoofed' in Scary Movie 6 at some point. 

The acting was pretty good, and fair play to everyone for selling all that 'come hither Jonas' dialogue, can't have been easy reading that stuff out loud. 

Â