The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

10 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Is that the one where Cruise gets killed about 1000 times or the one with Morgan Freeman leading a human rebellion whilst Cruise just flies a plane about.

10 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Is that the one where Cruise gets killed about 1000 times or the one with Morgan Freeman leading a human rebellion whilst Cruise just flies a plane about.

The former!

• Like 1

My father-in-law absolutely detests Starship Troopers.  He was a huge fan of the book and gave me a very dog eared copy of it once to read through.  It's got some great little quips in it that make it enjoyable, even though I'm by no means a big scy-fy (apparently it's not Sci-fi???) fan.

The film is hardly anything like the book.  But seeing as I saw the film when I was about 12 I thought it was brilliant.  I tried watching it again about 5 years ago, and it has not aged well at all (apart from aforementioned breasticles, they're timeless (unless it's those weird pre 1960s boobies which were all pointy and odd looking (thank **** for bras ay?))).

19 hours ago, tonyh29 said:
19 hours ago, ender4 said:

Everest - 7.5/10 - decent gripping very partially true story about climbing a mountain

fixed

Yeah my perhaps overly-cynical attitude towards 'based on a true story' films, using Everest as the example is "this one time a bloke climbed a mountain". Everything beyond that is up for interpretation.

Did anyone else change their opinion on who was the fittest woman in Starship Troopers as they got older?

When I was 13-14 I thought Denise Richards was but when I watched again recently it was probably Dizz.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Did anyone else change their opinion on who was the fittest woman in Starship Troopers as they got older?

When I was 13-14 I thought Denise Richards was but when I watched again recently it was probably Dizz.

Not seen it since I was a teenager and had a big thing for Denise (Wilds Things) Richards but just googled Dizz as I couldn't remember the actress and was very pleasantly suprised.

Might need to watch the film again.

Ha. I'm glad we had the same reaction though. Looks dreadful and desperate. The callbacks only serve to remind you how good the original was. I'm convinced there's only 1 funny person in it, Wiig, and she's not a home run.

Even the logo, which they've barely changed, is somehow shit.

That Wiig yoke does the same predictable poorly executed deadpan all the time.  That's her thing.  It worked in Bridesmaids because it was new.  Now it's all she has.

Of course, one of the biggest issues is going to be people saying 'Oh, you only think it looks bad because of the female cast' - when in reality I think it looks bad because...well it looks bad.

• Like 2

I just saw the trailer on facebook and was about to post it here. It looks awful and unfunny.

I can't stand wiig, she is one dimensional and it's not even a good one. McCarthy can be funny at times though, as long as she isn't just doing 'I'm fat and gross'.

Also worth mentioning is that these days the tendency is to pack the trailers for 'comedy' movies with all the best jokes from the full film.

So...yeah if that's the best jokes then good luck.

Edited by Designer1

looks shite

it looks like a cheap gag comedy film, the originals were funny because they starred naturally funny people, i dont remember them being out and out comedies

wiig will be dead pan, the fat one will be fat, the black one will be black, the other one will be something or other and there will be a ton of sexist stuff with hemsworth

Any recommendations for a film to watch on Netflix? Any genre (but chick flick or documentary) and something not too obvious preferred as I've seen most of what Netflix would recommend for me.

Â