The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

was one of the worst films I've seen in the last 12 months if I'm honest  , though I don't doubt it well deserved it's awards for clothes design and hair and makeup  

Agreed. Thought it was a terrible film.

• Like 1

Hmmm not sold on Mad Max - yes, it was visually stunning with some great stunts and set-pieces but I thought it was rather 'hollow' plot-wise.

In my opinion. none of the characters (especially Max and the baddie - who wasn't great) were developed into anything substantial and therefore I never had any affinity or empathy to them. This was probably to give the film a 'retro' feel like the original but it didn't work for me (and I like the original)

It was a good car-chase but I wouldn't rave about it.

I liked mad max, if you watch it in the context of a summer blockbuster it's superb, if watch it in the context of a Oscar best picture then it's going to start falling down but I doubt that was the recognition they were after anyway

In my mind you should be sat watching that asking why transformers is continually so shit (we all know the answer...) not worried about the simplicity of the story or character development etc, it's pure eye candy and it really works

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i cant help but think they'll never be able to replicate the impact of the original so it'll never work, and then they also did it in english (think both are available) which is shite IMO

i'll get round to it eventually, the first is a stunning film

also need to get hold of the assasin which is meant to be the best wuxia film in ages

They didn't replicate the original, and I don't think they were trying to. But they did achieve something quite good. Everything is slightly dumbed down, but it still stays within the same kind of spirit as the first. And you do have the option for subtitles, which I opted for. I hate dubbed films with a passion.

i said the impact of the original, what i mean by that is that CT,HD was a hugely influential film, $200m in profit, universally acclaimed, first martial arts film to win foreign language oscar for 50 years, first martial arts film ever up for best picture, probably the most significant martial arts film since enter the dragon, introduced hollywood to the genre of wuxia, almost definitely the most successful asian film in american cinema history and thats at a time where the matrix could probably have a decent argument for best martial arts film of the previous decade...

the new one is fighting a fight it cant win

I think Casey is a very talented actor.

7 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

have you seen 'The killer inside me'?

well worth checking out.

That movie (especially one scene) really disturbed me.

• Like 1

Â