The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

sq_housebound.jpg

Very enjoyable horror comedy from New Zealand.

Sharp, witty script and a great story.

Some reviews and stuff.

Alternately hilarious, gross, and simply diverting, Housebound is the rare horror-comedy that delivers on both fronts.

Watched this last night, terrific stuff.  The most hilarious use of a laundry basket I've ever seen.

• Like 2

Watched Stonehearst Asylum last night - a thoroughly enjoyable yarn!

Bascially, a young doctor heads to a remote Asylum in 1899 to further his education only to find things to not be what they seem.

Very good cast, with Ben Kingsley, Michael Caine, David Thewlis, Kate Beckinsale and Jim Sturgess

Just watched the debut by Ridley Scott "The Duellists" for the first time. Basically Keith Carradine & Harvey Keitel fighting each other throughout the Napoleonic wars.

Very authentic feeling film made even more interesting that it's based on a true story.

• Like 2

DC is very keen to keep it's cinematic and TV world's separate, unlike Marvel. Although saying that whilst Marvel's stuff is in the same universe, they've remained very very separate beyond some mythos and some very flimsy minor window dressing.

Remember seeing this at the cinema... 17 years ago! Still, I think its stood the test of time and still a decent watch

4fe96837df06c_260770n.jpg

I remember been in college in dundalk went to the cinema thinking it was going to be shite .....probably one of the best openings to a movie I have seen (blood shower oh shit the're vampires)

Just watched the debut by Ridley Scott "The Duellists" for the first time. Basically Keith Carradine & Harvey Keitel fighting each other throughout the Napoleonic wars.

Very authentic feeling film made even more interesting that it's based on a true story.

I recorded that when it was on Film 4 the other week... I turned it off after about 20 minutes just couldn't get into it ... Maybe i just wasn't in the mood and should have given it another play but I deleted it instead ...

Just seen they're making a flash film with a separate cast from that of the successful (and good IMO) TV show

What a waste of time

I wish they would just **** right off with all these comic book stories ... One or two was fine but the horse has been well and truly flogged to death now , time for something new please Hollywood 

Mad Max Fury Road tonight, stands up to home viewing very nicely and the  bluray release is basically reference quality. Excellent.

I got the 3D bluray all ready to watch in bed tonight.

I watched it tonight. For some reason I wasn't expecting to enjoy it but I was very wrong. Stunning visuals, lots of explosions and non-stop action. Loved it.

The Martian is the best nerdy film ever. It gets increasingly silly and Watney is a slightly irritating character and the humour is destined to be Marmite but that's a bloody good bit of film making. It's got all the hallmarks of a Ridley Scott movie, looks fantastic and has brilliant sound (bizarrely reminiscent of Alien at times) but it's a supremely confident and rounded movie that plays like a science geek watched Gravity and said 'Pfft, I can do something more interesting than that' and knocked up a pulpy science fiction yarn that tapped into near future yearning and the wider Mars zeitgeist and mashed that into a treatise on how to use really boring science to survive in a place eminently hostile to life.

There's some nonsense in there (the opening 'event'can't happen) and it does get silly, including one of the oddest Deus Ex Machina you'll find in movies this decade at least,, but it's a cracking film.

• Like 1

Â