The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

Ewoks aside in RotJ, its a bloody good film and nearly as good as Empire.

Watched two dull films over the weekend, both of which should've been a lot better.

Focus, a conman caper with will smith and Margot Robbie. Just a little too up its own arse to work.

The drop, a complete waste of a good cast. Dull,lifeless and confusing plotline. Admittedly I was knackered when watching it, but the film didn't help either.

Avoid both ;)

I managed to get to the end of Jurassic World but I very nearly stopped after an hour, and then again after an hour and a half.  It was as bad as I feared it would be.

A generous 5/10.

• Like 1

I couldn't help but LOL at the point during the recent Mission Impossible when Rebecca Ferguson turns to Mr Cruise and demands that he take her high heels off, they of course being a nuisance for roof-top escapes. Jurassic World writers, take note.

Obviously that scene occurred after Rebecca kindly showed the audience the most erotic way possible to snipe someone.

I went to the cinema and watched "Absolutely Anything".

Jesus christ, what an absolute awful film. Simon Pegg used to be a little bit cool, didn't he? 

His films lately are awful. 

Edited by PieFacE

I managed to get to the end of Jurassic World but I very nearly stopped after an hour, and then again after an hour and a half.  It was as bad as I feared it would be.

A generous 5/10.

Yep.

And yet I enjoyed myself seeing it. Rubbish but entertaining.

And the 3rd(...?) biggest film of all time.

I really didn't enjoy it :-/  It was an exercise in getting to the end.  BDH was surprisingly quite hot though :)  As a bit of a dino-geek I genuinely found it far more interesting to see some of the new 'real' dinos, "Oh look, a parasaurolophus", than I did some f**king makey-uppy dino-rex.  It didn't need that :(  I don't even mind that they stuck with the now-outdated dino-knowledge from the time of the original JP.  That's fine.  Continuity and all that (plus the 'raptors would look shit).  But as Chindie has alluded to, it was always going to be a hooj success financially.  No matter how shit it was.

I watched Terminator Genisys yesterday, it's watchable but the plot holes in it are massive. Not bad 6/10 for an action flick starring Arnie, it is what it is.

I also watched the lateset Avengers movie, all the action hero movies are starting to blend into to one for me now. Again watcable action flick 6/10 but you get the feeling you've seen it all before !

Yes KHV, I'm getting serious Avenger-fatigue.  Actually general superhero/comic book fatigue.  Captain America Winter Soldier is sitting there if I want it but it probably won't be watched.

• Like 1

I really didn't enjoy it :-/  It was an exercise in getting to the end.  BDH was surprisingly quite hot though :)  As a bit of a dino-geek I genuinely found it far more interesting to see some of the new 'real' dinos, "Oh look, a parasaurolophus", than I did some f**king makey-uppy dino-rex.  It didn't need that :(  I don't even mind that they stuck with the now-outdated dino-knowledge from the time of the original JP.  That's fine.  Continuity and all that (plus the 'raptors would look shit).  But as Chindie has alluded to, it was always going to be a hooj success financially.  No matter how shit it was.

The new dinosaur was shit.

One of my man gripes with the film. It's not ACTUALLY a dinosaur film.

It's a monster film set inside a park where there just happens to be some dinosaurs. The dinosaurs only really effect the storyline right at the end.

There's also some really strange plot points that add nothing to the film that they seem to shoehorn in there. The scene where the ginger woman goes to get Chris Pratt for the first time is one of the worst scenes I can remember in a movie.

• Like 1

'This is England' is  a good film and much better than the TV series imo. I still think 'Dead Man's Shoes' is Meadows' best work.

Re-watched the whole lot recently (in preparation for the final series starting soon) and I think apart from a couple of missed beats, it's superb from start to finish.

As for Dead Man's Shoes - Yes, totally agree although Romeo Brass comes a very close second.

Yes KHV, I'm getting serious Avenger-fatigue.  Actually general superhero/comic book fatigue.  Captain America Winter Soldier is sitting there if I want it but it probably won't be watched.

Robert Downey Jr is starting to piss me off too, not sure why as I never used to mind him. Might be because he is in everything I end up watching !!

Robert Downey Jr is starting to piss me off too, not sure why as I never used to mind him. Might be because he is in everything I end up watching !!

Not to ring my own bell, but I've suffered this super hero fatigue and RDJ annoyance for a while now ;)

He was the worst part of The Avengers.

Â