The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Yes KHV, I'm getting serious Avenger-fatigue. Actually general superhero/comic book fatigue. Captain America Winter Soldier is sitting there if I want it but it probably won't be watched.

Well worth a watch. It's one of the best comic book movies there is, has a tinge of 70s espionage thriller on top of the usual comic book movie fare. Really good movie. Some argue it's Marvel's best. Worth a watch.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

Which is another one I haven't watched yet.  It just sounded a bit naff and childish.

Guardians is great. Just not as great as everyone said it was.

The humour in it is awful. I also didn't really get the soundtrack.

But it is definitely one of the better comic book films.

Which is another one I haven't watched yet.  It just sounded a bit naff and childish.

Guardians is another Marvel movie that steps away from the comic book standard fare. It's a pulpy sci fi comedy. Unlike Stevo985 I do think it's funny. Suffers from Marvel's usual underdeveloped villain syndrome but it's not really the point. Again worth your time. It basically realises it's dealing with really stupid characters (all of Marvel's cosmic stuff is inherently even more daft than usual in fairness) and just pisses around with the characters. It is also surprisingly emotional in a few scenes. Worth a watch alongside Winter Soldier, though very, very different movies.

Whilst we're on Marvel, loads of Civil War tidbits have come out, including apparent confirmation Tony Stark had the Bleeding Edge armour in the movie, which would basically confirm him as the villain of the piece, as Bleeding Edge is so powerful it would be a bloody dull movie of he was the good guy in it. Also been confirmed Spidey has a significant scrap with someone. And interestingly Marvel have gone particularly secretive about the Spiderman costume for the movie. Usually costumes leak because the same places make different pieces and details come out. With the Spiderman costume Marvel have done it entirely in-house. They've spoken about the costume being classic but different to what we've seen before, which makes me think we might see the original web wing things. There also a rumour, like the original storyline, that Tony Stark will make him a suit...

If that is your opinion prior to watching Guardians i wouldn't bother.

I really don't like comic book films but i gave it a chance and it was honestly one of my least enjoyable films of last year.

Just taking it objectively, Guardians is in the imdb top 250 at 210. Say what you like about the kind of people who vote but that's a pretty high ranking. Above films like Papillon, King's Speech, Imitation Game.

Guardians is another Marvel movie that steps away from the comic book standard fare. It's a pulpy sci fi comedy. Unlike Stevo985 I do think it's funny.

It has funny parts.

But it's only about 10% of the times it tries to be funny. 

That dance bit, for example, is **** embarrassing.

Just taking it objectively, Guardians is in the imdb top 250 at 210. Say what you like about the kind of people who vote but that's a pretty high ranking. Above films like Papillon, King's Speech, Imitation Game.

Which demonstrates how arbitrary that list is, as it's not better than any of those films

It has funny parts.

But it's only about 10% of the times it tries to be funny. 

That dance bit, for example, is **** embarrassing.

I agree it misses the mark a fair bit but I think that's just the nature of that style of comedy. I don't like the dance bit either but I think it's funny more often than its not.

Which demonstrates how arbitrary that list is, as it's not better than any of those films

Objectively, tell me why its not a better movie than any of those ;)

It's all just opinion. The imdb lost just suggests that it's a more well liked movie. Which is understandable.

• Like 1

I can't tell you objectively, but it's not.

But I can't tell you objectively that Goodfellas is better than Sharknado either. But it is.

Edited by Stevo985

Â