The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 15/08/2018 at 15:11, Wainy316 said:

What is the most devastating scene in film history?  Johnny 5 being smashed up or the poor Toon Shoe being put into the dip in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Definitely toon shoe of those two for me too.

MrsVM reckons the horn being cut off the unicorn in Legend was horrific.

Yoda dying in Jedi was the thing that made me cry in the cinema - although it lacks the sheer brutality of the others it devastated me more.

Taking scissors to the warped baby in 'Eraserhead'?

Bambi's Mother being shot?

Nah - It's Divine in 'Pink Flamingos'.

This is quite blurry. You'll be be glad of that if you've not seen it before? :)

The most distressing scene that I can think of, which stayed with me for days afterwards, in a film that has more than it’s fair share of upsetting scenes - the bit in “Under the Skin” with -

Spoiler

The baby left crying on the beach after the parents have been killed. And then cutting back to the beach later in the evening and seeing the same kid still crying. 

**** me, was that tough viewing.

Regarding films from when I was a kid, I always found the end of “The Time Bandits” fairly downbeat considering what preceded it was kind of knockabout fun.

• Like 2

I maintain that the saddest film ever made is the film David Seltzer wrote before 'The Omen', called 'The Other Side Of The Mountain'. It's the true story of an American skiing hopeful who crashes one day and becomes a quadriplegic. That's just the start. The first mention of the movie that I saw was a caption (in 'Ten Bad Dates With De Niro' I think) that said it would cause even rugby clubs and stag parties to start bawling, and it pretty much lives up to the billing. I won't spoiler the ending, but it involves a telephone call with terrible news, and the way the heroine wheels herself out of the room so as not to be present when the bad news comes out is probably the most savage moment that I've seen in cinema. 

Absolutely brutal. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I maintain that the saddest film ever made is the film David Seltzer wrote before 'The Omen', called 'The Other Side Of The Mountain'. It's the true story of an American skiing hopeful who crashes one day and becomes a quadriplegic. That's just the start. The first mention of the movie that I saw was a caption (in 'Ten Bad Dates With De Niro' I think) that said it would cause even rugby clubs and stag parties to start bawling, and it pretty much lives up to the billing. I won't spoiler the ending, but it involves a telephone call with terrible news, and the way the heroine wheels herself out of the room so as not to be present when the bad news comes out is probably the most savage moment that I've seen in cinema. 

Absolutely brutal. 

Yeah but what about Qui Gon in Ep 1?

Edited by TheAuthority

On 18/08/2018 at 00:17, villa4europe said:

not for me because by that stage the film was already an utter dog shit take on a brilliant book that left me feeling nothing but rage

I never understood the anger at that movie. For years.

Then I actually read the book.

I get it now.

• Like 1

On the subject of executions, I can think of a couple of scenes from “Let him have it” and “10 Rillington Place” that are hard going.

Oh and in “Zodiac” I think because it’s a fairly “talky” film, it has the effect of making 

Spoiler

the second murder on screen even more distressing.

The scene by the lake in Zodiac is one of the most quietly horrific things in cinema in recent years. 

I'd also agree that that scene in Under the Skin is extremely disturbing.

On the wider subject of er... 'Chilling' moments in film. The birthday party in Signs always gives a shiver and is pretty much the entirety of that films worth. The bear in the Shining (the entire film is basically an exercise in making the viewer unsettled in truth).

I'm sure I'll think of more 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The birthday party in Signs always gives a shiver and is pretty much the entirety of that films worth.

Good call!

Genuinely disturbing 

Â