The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

8 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I think I'm the one person on earth who dislikes Oppenheimer. Well, no, I'm not, but it feels that way at times. I don't even think some of my favourite film critics could convince me otherwise on this one. But I've never liked Christopher Nolan's work -- not one single film of his has worked for me. They seem so pretentious and unfun. I found this one heavy-handed to an extreme, overly stylized, and the titilar tortured genius thoroughly unlikable from start to finish -- and unbelievable, too. Some of the dialogue embarrassed me to hear:

Niels Bohr : The power you are about to reveal will forever outlive the Nazis, and the world is not prepared.
J. Robert Oppenheimer : You can't lift the stone without being ready for the snake that's revealed.
Niels Bohr : We have to make the politicians understand, this isn't a new weapon, it is a new world.

Thanks for that explanation, Niels! It's new! The nuke was new! It changes everything!

Got that. About 100 times over in the film, so much so, the idea loses its impact. It's like spoon-feeding simplistic ideas to audiences not really interested in anything other than simulated intellectual or political engagement -- over and over.

Is there anyone likable at all in the film? Not for me. Many characters seemed to be so obviously telescoping themes. It's was cloying. Got tired of all the trippy blooms of fire on the screen and hey-pay-attention-to-me soundtrack. Awful. I actually think it's disturbing that so many people admire this.

Not even the Batman trilogy 

52 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Not even the Batman trilogy 

Just a preference. Dark Knight must be the best of all Nolan's. I find the graphic novels a lot more intriguing, personally. They're way weirder and mesmerising. The English shaggy dude -- Alan Moore --and his collaborators should get most of the credit for the "new" Joker character. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

If only they can get Spielberg to direct 🙏 

Just leave it alone please. The more of these they bring out the more it taints the original movie. 

There’s one good Jurassic Park movie. And it came out 30 years ago

• Like 4

e1714cbb29e986c32e62c47ac53edaf8cb585446accb8736df06149e9d7367e68ba2a4b077303e14

Cuadecuc, Vampir (Pere Portabella)

Filmed on the set of Jess Frano's El Conde Dracula, but shot and edited in such a way that's it's completely different from the original, the original is straight ahead Dracula movie, this has no dialogue, is filmed in black and white which gives it an old expressionist look, and the dialgoue has been removed, and the whole thing is sequenced in such a way to give it more of a dream logic rather than a conventional narrative, because it's technically a 'making of documentary', it also uses behind the scenes footage, showing camera crew and so on, but thal only makes it more surreal, as that's all edited as if it's part of film

• Like 1

Stumbled across this while looking for something else and really enjoyed it. Given the writer/director is Neil Maskell, you can see the Meadows/Wheatley influence but in a really good way.

klokkenluider-753967384-mmed.jpg&f=1&nof

• Like 1

On 06/01/2024 at 23:04, Stevo985 said:

MV5BYzNiNzc1NWUtYzBjNy00YzU1LWE1MTgtZGVh

watched this tonight. Absolutely brilliant, but one of the most disturbing movies I’ve seen. Horrible

Check this out by the same director, not for the faint hearted. He has a gift for horror

image.jpeg.4a1cff5356efe4ce7acfa5794f81f0bc.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/01/2024 at 11:10, Designer1 said:

Terrified (2017) by the same Director is worth a watch too, but not quite up to the standard of When Evil Lurks.

43 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Check this out by the same director, not for the faint hearted. He has a gift for horror

image.jpeg.4a1cff5356efe4ce7acfa5794f81f0bc.jpeg

Yep.

• Like 1

Looking forward to this one. Based on the excellent book by John Ajvide Lindqvist (Let the Right One In). Adaptations from his novels have been hit and miss but hopefully this one is good.

• Like 1

Looking through my Blu rays last night and decided on a prison based double bill.

First up was

spacer.png

Cell 211 - Spanish/French production from 2009. Very good indeed, an incredibly tense and well acted story about a prison guard on his first day getting caught up in a riot and mistaken for an inmate. Brutal, bleak and brilliant.

Followed by

spacer.png

The much better known A Prophet - French production from 2009.

This one is often used as a 'gateway' movie to contemporary French cinema and rightly so. Regarded by many as one of the best prison movies of all time.

A classic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 24/01/2024 at 06:38, Stevo985 said:

Just leave it alone please. The more of these they bring out the more it taints the original movie. 

There’s one good Jurassic Park movie. And it came out 30 years ago

nah i disagree - jurassic world was fine, and actually the most recent one (bonkers as it was) would've been good if they hadn't basically skipped the whole "humans and dinosaurs needing to figure out how to coexist in the wild" chapter that the 5th film so clearly set up

like the saw films, there will always be an audience who (including myself) will pay to go and watch even if they make another 10 of them. it's guaranteed money. i don't see how the original movie will ever be tainted. it was a masterpiece and no number of sequels will ever change that nor will they ever better it.

is jaws tainted based on the utter shite that came after it? i'd argue those are worse than any of the JP/JW sequels

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

nah i disagree - jurassic world was fine, and actually the most recent one (bonkers as it was) would've been good if they hadn't basically skipped the whole "humans and dinosaurs needing to figure out how to coexist in the wild" chapter that the 5th film so clearly set up

like the saw films, there will always be an audience who (including myself) will pay to go and watch even if they make another 10 of them. it's guaranteed money. i don't see how the original movie will ever be tainted. it was a masterpiece and no number of sequels will ever change that nor will they ever better it.

is jaws tainted based on the utter shite that came after it? i'd argue those are worse than any of the JP/JW sequels

Jurassic world was awful. A cheesy mess of random plot points that make no sense. It’s shite

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Jurassic world was awful. A cheesy mess of random plot points that make no sense. It’s shite

Especially Dominion. The level of awful was almost applaudable in that 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

i don't see how the original movie will ever be tainted.

Yeah I agree with this. I've lost count of the amount of shite sequels I've endured after a classic first movie.

I just pretend they don't exist 🫣

On 22/01/2024 at 20:09, Follyfoot said:

image.png.84813961b78ff799aac59ff9f0e966fa.png

Direct follow on from last years 'One Shot'  it is basically Die Hard in an airport but allegedly filmed in one take and much the better for it, think of a continuous fps. 

I think Adkins is actually becoming a much more accomplished actor these days, yes you get the ass kickin and gunplay but the lad can also add a bit of substance to his roles 

One criticism is the criminal underuse of Michael Jai White but even so the 102 minutes rattles along at a fair old pace.

Worth a watch if stuck for a loose end 

Filmed almost entirely at Stansted Airport! 

• Like 1

Watched a few whilst flying:

Big George Foreman - very good with a great cast.

Strays - huge fun, if you don’t laugh at this there’s no help for you!

The Retirement Plan- Nicolas Cage being violent is something I always enjoy.

• Like 1

Â