The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

9 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Old skool, but watched Predator Sunday night 1987 Arnie.

Class film all works perfectly, not bad acting either, Carl Weather's, Bill Duke, Sonny Langham all very good, great effects too for 1987. Its a film for me you can watch and watch never gets boring.

Absolute classic sci-fi/action movie and still stands up well today. Easily in my top five favourite movies of all time.

Fun fact, the inspiration for the film came from a joke that after Rocky IV, Stallone had run out of opponents on Earth. If they made another film, he'd have to fight an alien. Jim and John Thomas were inspired by that and wrote Hunter, which became Predator.

There are also so many stories about how Jean Claude Van Damme was once the Predator. Why that ended is up for debate? Maybe it's because Van Damme was ony 5'9″. Or it could have been because all Van Damme did was complain about the suit being so hot that he kept passing out? Or maybe the original design just didn't work. The Stan Winston redesign?

I'm a fan of Predator 2 as well, but the first film is absolutely the best of the franchise. The ultimate hunter against the ultimate soldier? It is what a sci-fi/action movie should be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Lightyear is coming to disney+ 3rd august

Means the last few big disney / marvel films have come out 47 days after cinema release

Disney seems to be sticking to a 6 week, ish, turnaround on cinema release to streaming. Which is great as I'm not going to a cinema any time soon and I need my Marvel fix.

Just now, Chindie said:

Disney seems to be sticking to a 6 week, ish, turnaround on cinema release to streaming. Which is great as I'm not going to a cinema any time soon and I need my Marvel fix.

Yeah I'm the same, I saw that 47 days as someone trying to guess when Thor would be coming to it 

More excited about lightyear though if I'm honest 

The Gray Man was really rather good. It will please fans of the books as well as all the action aficionados. Gosling played Court/6 in the spirit of the character. The Chris Evans character had a bit of the Bennett out of Commando about him. Hopefully this will lead to a sequel and a possible series as there is some excellent content in the books to cover. The only downside is they have written it so they can never be any reference to the Goon squad which means Possibly no Zach, which would be a pity

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

The Gray Man was really rather good. It will please fans of the books as well as all the action aficionados. Gosling played Court/6 in the spirit of the character. The Chris Evans character had a bit of the Bennett out of Commando about him. Hopefully this will lead to a sequel and a possible series as there is some excellent content in the books to cover. The only downside is they have written it so they can never be any reference to the Goon squad which means Possibly no Zach, which would be a pity

Enjoyed it, nothing that I havent seen before but a bit of fun if like spy/action movies, Maybe a bit too much Michael Bay like but it was entertaining

The Black Phone was fantastic, thought it would lean more towards Horror but was a thriller really. 

Really well done, nice tight script, perfect length and the main kid was really good as well.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2022 at 19:59, ferguson1 said:

I do like Event Horizon as well. Quite a scary film on first viewing 20 odd years ago.

You’re in luck as well, a quick google shows a 25th Anniversary UHD version coming very soon (8 August 2022) and at a decent preorder price 👍

I saw Event Horizon at the cinema, and it genuinely terrified me!

• Haha 1

On 21/07/2022 at 22:42, foreveryoung said:

Old skool, but watched Predator Sunday night 1987 Arnie.

Class film all works perfectly, not bad acting either, Carl Weather's, Bill Duke, Sonny Langham all very good, great effects too for 1987. Its a film for me you can watch and watch never gets boring.

Why did they show the alien ship at the start?

On 22/07/2022 at 22:33, Follyfoot said:

I just tried watching that and nah, it's not for me.  I'm normally a big fan of Ana de Armas films too.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I just tried watching that and nah, it's not for me.  I'm normally a big fan of Ana de Armas films too.

Yeah The Grey Man was a very odd film. Half of the actors in it are acting so silly and over the top that it seems like a comedy, the other ones are treating it like the paint by numbers Bourne copy that it is.

Only half way through it but Captain America looks like he's having a fun time, more or less channeling Jim Carrey and his evil Hank from Me, myself and Irene.

Edited by sne

Â