The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

11 hours ago, sne said:

On the subject of having slowed down cover versions of old hits in trailers and movies. Apparently it's called trailercore and yeah, I still hate it.

Long read in the link.

https://www.polygon.com/22574251/movie-trailer-cover-songs-artists

I kinda have a soft spot for these.

Generally they'll make me laugh, and I'll get to guessing what the next one I'll hear on a trailer will be. I'm certain Karma Chameleon is ripe for this treatment, and you can't convince me otherwise. Just imagine the words, and picture it over a generic drama / revenge / thing movie. 

For what it's worth, there are some examples which aren't too bad. Although the best one I can think of wasn't in a trailer or anything - a cover of Converge's Homewrecker by a rubbish Belarusian metal band. It works so well cos the original version is so fast, and the lyrics so unrecognisable as words, that it's almost as though this hidden beauty is unveiled in the slower down version. I think that says more about the original song, than the quality of the cover though. 

Edited by hogso

On 19/07/2021 at 14:12, Phil Silvers said:

The message boards were ace. Such a shame that money fck it up, the reviews these days a ridiculous, pro amazon or bad bot reviews for the enemy.

the message boards were absolutely fab - spent half my life on there. It was a pretty brutal place though so I guess it was always going to get shut down to protect the egos of the film and tv world. I never really found a like for like replacement either for movie discussion

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

the message boards were absolutely fab - spent half my life on there. It was a pretty brutal place though so I guess it was always going to get shut down to protect the egos of the film and tv world. I never really found a like for like replacement either for movie discussion

Neither have I, I guess we could make our own VT message board, there are plenty of film buffs on here and I've found a few gems from people's recommendations.

7 hours ago, hogso said:

I kinda have a soft spot for these.

Generally they'll make me laugh, and I'll get to guessing what the next one I'll hear on a trailer will be. I'm certain Karma Chameleon is ripe for this treatment, and you can't convince me otherwise. Just imagine the words, and picture it over a generic drama / revenge / thing movie. 

For what it's worth, there are some examples which aren't too bad. Although the best one I can think of wasn't in a trailer or anything - a cover of Converge's Homewrecker by a rubbish Belarusian metal band. It works so well cos the original version is so fast, and the lyrics so unrecognisable as words, that it's almost as though this hidden beauty is unveiled in the slower down version. I think that says more about the original song, than the quality of the cover though. 

You have to imagine they don't know what trousers are:

Watched a quiet place 2 the other night 

No subtitles which will teach me for sailing the seas

Its very enjoyable, I liked the start and that they gave you more, the new characters and the story work, it obviously doesn't seem as fresh for the 2nd film and there seems to be a bit more liberty with the noise thing, I think the first film was quieter, but it's a good film that I'd happily watch a 3rd one of, rumoured spin offs coming too, I think it works in a small town, limited cast, no army or fight back or even really much heroics

16 hours ago, Tegis said:

Leave your brain at home, I'll probably laugh my ass off

I was just thinking the other day what these guys were up to.

In the glut of 3D movies that came out about 10-15 years ago, I thought their movie had the best utilisation of the concept.

Bam isnt in it, saw some yputube video explaining it but then thought im not actually bothered by that in the slightest

couple of new guys, did see a youtube video of them on shark week and that was pretty mad, might make the film so wont spoil it

• Like 1

Watched BttF 1& 2 the last few nights. The first remains a stone cold classic. It’s flawless imo. Part 2 however, yeesh, it gets worse each time I see it. Genuinely think it’s one of the worst films ever made. Loved it as a kid mind.

Onto 3 next. I always liked part 3. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Watched BttF 1& 2 the last few nights. The first remains a stone cold classic. It’s flawless imo. Part 2 however, yeesh, it gets worse each time I see it. Genuinely think it’s one of the worst films ever made. Loved it as a kid mind.

Onto 3 next. I always liked part 3. 

Outrageous comment, its all one film imo and an all time great

Michael J Fox Hello GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

• Haha 2

Â