The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just now, TheMelvillan said:

dumbest movie ive ever seen. will definitely watch it again,

I was watching it with someone who kept saying "Why would they...?" or "How can they possibly..."

"We're watching a film about a guy who has guns bolted to his hands. Try not to think too hard about it. Actually, don't think at all" :D

Watched The Hateful Eight last night to finally complete Tarantino’s back catalogue.  
Therefore for the benefit and interest of absolutely nobody, I’m going to rank his films...

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Resevoir Dogs

3. Jackie Brown

4. Kill Bill vol 1

5. The Hateful Eight

6. Django Unchained

7. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

8. Kill Bill vol 2

9. Inglorious Basterds

10. Death Proof

I will disclaim that I should probably watch Django again so could be higher.  Only one viewing and it was a while back.

I will also add that I really like even the lower ranked ones, with the exception of Death Proof.  

Edited by Wainy316

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Edit: I actually went on my own for the first time ever. And really enjoyed it. I might start doing it more often

I did it a lot at uni, I'd have a lecture in the morning then a 4 hour gap until the next lecture, most of the group went in to town to go for a pub lunch but I got a cineworld pass and went to the cinema by myself

Once you've got your head around it it's perfectly fine 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I did it a lot at uni, I'd have a lecture in the morning then a 4 hour gap until the next lecture, most of the group went in to town to go for a pub lunch but I got a cineworld pass and went to the cinema by myself

I've done it a few times, first time when I'd travelled to meet someone but they got delayed for a few hours. Most recently when I've been travelling for work (pre-covid) and wanted to get out of the hotel room for a bit. 

Agree, it was weird at first but once you get used to it it's very enjoyable. 

spacer.png

Written and Directed by renowned Black Country photographer Richard Billingham and based on his autobiographical book about his upbringing (Ray's a Laugh). It's a superb, unflinching portrait of his early life living with his dysfunctional (to say the least) family in the 70s.

It was of particular interest to me as I am the same age as Richard (pretty sure we were the same year and attended the same school which I'm looking into it) and we were brought up in the same area, Cradley Heath, where the film is set (although our experiences were thankfully quite different).

It won't be for everyone, but I thought it was superb and the acting is top notch (great cameo from the ever brilliant Tony Way!) And the poignant story is incredibly moving.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I enjoyed it so much I'm thinking of getting an Unlimited card at Cineworld and just going whenever 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I enjoyed it so much I'm thinking of getting an Unlimited card at Cineworld and just going whenever 

Once you realise how much better it is going on your own, you won't want to go with other people again :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was feeling a bit nostalgic tonight after looking at some old photos from when I was a kid and it made me want to watch The Goonies again. It’s always great to watch. God what a film, one of those weird films that comes at a time in your life that just cements it as ‘your’ film for life, it just transports me back within seconds. Astoria, the houses, the goon docks, the coast, it just gets me every time.

Pretty much every other Saturday afternoon when mom was at work, Dad would make me and my little brother banana sandwiches and a glass of nesquick and we’d sit and watch The Goonies. (the other weekends would probably have been Star Wars, BttF, Short Circuit or Ghostbusters). Must have drove him crazy the amount of times we told him to put it on.

It’s a 10/10 that’s full of flaws, goofs and ropey effects but it doesn’t matter because it’s my film, it’s perfect and it’s awesome.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They're brilliant, definitely got my moneys worth out of them, after uni i was going every Sunday dinnertime in the summer it was all the blockbusters, in the winter it's all the award nominated films, if there's nothing on then watch something random and hopefully find a gem, if youve git the stamina watch 2 films 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

They're brilliant, definitely got my moneys worth out of them, after uni i was going every Sunday dinnertime in the summer it was all the blockbusters, in the winter it's all the award nominated films, if there's nothing on then watch something random and hopefully find a gem, if youve git the stamina watch 2 films 

Yeah I'm gonna go for it I think. It's £18 a month at the Resorts World one. My ticket on Saturday was £13 anyway! After popcorn and a drink I spent more than £18 anyway. So you only have to go twice a month and you're laughing

Been years since I've been to an odeon, I found Cineworld had a better selection of films, especially for things like martial arts, foreign language and indie films 

What I did love about odeon at merry hill was the Monday movie mystery night, was about £2 but you didn't know what the film would be, some were garbage but some were brilliant, including watching slumdog millionaire about a month before it was released, I'd never heard of it and went in completely cold, as a result for me it was a fully deserved Oscar and I remember it as a great film 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Odeon Luxe here in Stafford does it for 9.99. Thats a very good deal. 

Just checked. It goes up after September. 

Some of the Cineworld ones are 9.99 too but it depends what "group" the cinema is in

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I was feeling a bit nostalgic tonight after looking at some old photos from when I was a kid and it made me want to watch The Goonies again. It’s always great to watch. God what a film, one of those weird films that comes at a time in your life that just cements it as ‘your’ film for life, it just transports me back within seconds. Astoria, the houses, the goon docks, the coast, it just gets me every time.

Pretty much every other Saturday afternoon when mom was at work, Dad would make me and my little brother banana sandwiches and a glass of nesquick and we’d sit and watch The Goonies. (the other weekends would probably have been Star Wars, BttF, Short Circuit or Ghostbusters). Must have drove him crazy the amount of times we told him to put it on.

It’s a 10/10 that’s full of flaws, goofs and ropey effects but it doesn’t matter because it’s my film, it’s perfect and it’s awesome.

I can fully relate to the above (apart from the banana sandwiches).

You've regained some goodwill after your horrifying decimation of Back to the Future 2 😄

• Like 1

Â