The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I enjoyed Trainspotting 2 it was an entertaining breeze but I could people watching as a nostalgia piece. Flashbacks were good for me as I havent seen film in a while

Begbie again is main star in an OTT performance again:D

I'm just back from seeing it, and enjoyed it more than the original.  It was a different slant but it was just, I dunno, right...

• Like 1

Last night I sat through " House of the Dead" directed by Uwe Boll.

I have to say, without a doubt, it is the worst piece of crap ever made by human hands.

50 minutes ago, AJ said:

Last night I sat through " House of the Dead" directed by Uwe Boll.

I have to say, without a doubt, it is the worst piece of crap ever made by human hands.

Didn't it emerge that Uwe Boll had some sort of financial arragement/scheme whereby he actually did better the worse his movies flopped? Like a 'Springtime for Hitler' deal? Or have I just dreamed that?

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Didn't it emerge that Uwe Boll had some sort of financial arragement/scheme whereby he actually did better the worse his movies flopped? Like a 'Springtime for Hitler' deal? Or have I just dreamed that?

I think he was taking advantage of some German tax loophole, but I am not sure if he intentionally made bad movies, because he was prepared to fight anyone who said anything bad about his films.

It still doesn't justify the horror he has unleashed upon this world. I am not talking about zombies either.

Oh crap. Uwe Boll is on my front lawn with boxing gloves.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm just back from seeing it, and enjoyed it more than the original.  It was a different slant but it was just, I dunno, right...

Spoiler

the 1690 scene is one of funniest things I have seen in a film in a while

• Like 2

Got around to watching Cloverfield after discussing it on here.

yeah, it was alright and I can imagine back when it was released it would have been a bit more impressive. 

Fairly enjoyable 90mins. 

I prefer the follow up 10 Cloverfield though (totally different films admittedly)

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Got around to watching Cloverfield after discussing it on here.

yeah, it was alright and I can imagine back when it was released it would have been a bit more impressive. 

Fairly enjoyable 90mins. 

I prefer the follow up 10 Cloverfield though (totally different films admittedly)

10 Cloverfield Lane is definitely the better film I would say (though the ending is shit). Cloverfield I found more enjoyable though.

• Like 1

Watched imperium this evening.

Daniel Radcliffe wasn't too bad as a rookie FBI agent sent to infiltrate white supremacists. 

It was well acted but a little formulaic and never really got intense or felt fear for the main character. 

It was a really interesting concept, especially as I fear these movements will be a little more overt and vocal heading into Trump's tenancy at the White House.

Wasn't expecting too much from it, so quite happy with the result.

Edited by theboyangel

T2 - mostly excellent I think. Plenty of nods tieing it all in with the old film and a couple of particularly funny set pieces that had me giggling throughout including the one referred to above by Zatman. Good use of music again and the way it mirrors some of the scenes from the first one works well as a metaphor for the way the area pulls them in like a black hole into the past.

I'd just like to say that 'Arrival' was boring shit and I don't know what some of you saw in it.  I kept waiting for something where I could say "Ah that's why they think it's good", and it never came.  8.2 on IMDb as well ?

'A Monster Calls' on the other hand was a good watch.  Great performances from everyone and a lovely take on how a child might deal with enormous trauma.

22 hours ago, Xela said:

An old favourite

220px-Office_space_poster.jpg

Given that he also did Idiocracy which is another stone cold cult classic (and becoming more relevant as the years go by), I really think Mike Judge needs to make more movies.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'd just like to say that 'Arrival' was boring shit and I don't know what some of you saw in it.  I kept waiting for something where I could say "Ah that's why they think it's good", and it never came.  8.2 on IMDb as well ?

'A Monster Calls' on the other hand was a good watch.  Great performances from everyone and a lovely take on how a child might deal with enormous trauma.

Something weird going on at IMDB with movies nominated for awards. I think the ratings are being tampered with.  I've seen a few that were very poor but had very high rating with a good chunk of votes.

That said I did enjoy Arrival but I had enough beers in me that I don't remember how many beers I had.

26 minutes ago, BOF said:

I liked Arrival more than you, but can appreciate the thoughts.

I hope you understood it though, or They'll come for you. I definitely understood it, and thought the ending was shit. I liked it beforehand.

• Like 1

Saw "Lion" on Friday.

Really really liked it. Dev Patel was excellent and it was one of the most emotional films I've seen in a very long time.

Despite Patel's performance and the rest of the film being great, the first half an hour or so is a sequence where the child (Patel as a child) gets lost and it absolutely steals the show imo. Proper heartbreaking stuff.

My only criticism would be the middle part of the film drags a bit. It's still good but I think it just went on a bit too long hammering home it's message.

Not a film I'd have chosen straight away but very glad I went. Worth a watch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I liked Arrival more than you, but can appreciate the thoughts.

I hope you understood it though, or They'll come for you. I definitely understood it, and thought the ending was shit. I liked it beforehand.

If someone didn't understand Arrival then I assume they also needed help finding their way into the cinema.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Saw "Lion" on Friday.

Really really liked it. Dev Patel was excellent and it was one of the most emotional films I've seen in a very long time.

Despite Patel's performance and the rest of the film being great, the first half an hour or so is a sequence where the child (Patel as a child) gets lost and it absolutely steals the show imo. Proper heartbreaking stuff.

My only criticism would be the middle part of the film drags a bit. It's still good but I think it just went on a bit too long hammering home it's message.

Not a film I'd have chosen straight away but very glad I went. Worth a watch.

I really like Patel.  Always comes across as a likeable chap.  Whether it's the roles he picks or the way he plays them.  I suspect a bit of both.

Â