The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

off to see the raccoon with a gun movie tonight ... i shall come back later with my assessment .. tbh it's already being docked one point as Ii wanted to see Inbetweeners but the other 2 opted for the raccoon  .. damn you democracy

Its passable fare but essentially completely pointless like most hollywood remakes of foreign language films because the remake is much worse.

See: Oldboy / The Ring / The Grudge for other classic examples.

The Ring > Ring

The Ring > Ring

I did rather enjoy the US remake of The Ring, far more than I thought I would to be honest, but no way is it better than Ring.  The constant sense of dread was spot on, but the ending was a total botch.

Mind you, I suppose if you know what's coming then it's going to be difficult for a remake to get the impact.

Edited by GarethRDR

The Ring > Ring

I did rather enjoy the US remake of The Ring, far more than I thought I would to be honest, but no way is it better than Ring.  The constant sense of dread was spot on, but the ending was a total botch.

Mind you, I suppose if you know what's coming then it's going to be difficult for a remake to get the impact.

I thought it was easily better to be honest.

It's way more atmospheric, way more tense and I guess just way more convincing with the effects. I know effects aren't the main factor in a film, but the hollywood version used it well in this.

I do agree that the ending was a bit of a cop out, but that's not really the climax of the film so didn't ruin it for me.

I just think it's one of those situations that "Ring" was first so it gets referred to as better because it was the original.

But I really don't think it is better. At all.

The Ring 2, on the other hand, was shite.

Inbetweeners 2. Not as good as the first but still some really funny moments

Thinking about how much I laughed watching the sequel its very very hard not to rate it highly, I have certainly seen many comedies that I have laughed less at which are rated far higher by most critics.

• Like 1

Inbetweeners 2. Not as good as the first but still some really funny moments

Thinking about how much I laughed watching the sequel its very very hard not to rate it highly, I have certainly seen many comedies that I have laughed less at which are rated far higher by most critics.
Just back from it myself and it was a LOT funnier than I thought it would be.

Yeah its not as good as the first one and not a patch on the series, but its still very good.

Maybe it helped that I had lowers my expectations significantly going into it as I hadn't heard great things. But i laughed a lot.

Certainly not a bad film and absolutely worth seeing.

• Like 1

Back from the raccoon film

Having been thoroughly bored of marvel films ( and all the super hero type films for that matter ) since Iron Man came along and surprised by not being completely pants the raccoon film was a total breath of fresh air

Loved it , the humour , the little things going on in the background , the mumbling under the breath

Great stuff ... best marvel film ever ... Just don't **** it up with the sequel

Liked the soundtrack as well so it gets an extra point for that

• Like 3

Loved the TV series, and the first Inbetweeners film had it's moment, but was mostly meh. Can't imagine the second one will be much better. I'll wait till it's on E4 I think.  

I missed the superhero film discussion :(

I love: Iron Man 1,2 & 3, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Spiderman 1&2 ('normal' and 'Amazing'!), X-Men First Class, The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises.

Iron Man 1 is my favourite superhero film. The soundtrack is awesome and RDJ is a great Tony Stark (sorry Stevo).

DC are way behind Marvel, but Watchmen gets a mention, just because of the Rawshank (sp?) jail scene.

Â