The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched Guardians on Monday and my god is it good. All the main characters are excellent, although Drax is my favourite. 

Definitely Marvel's best effort thus far. 

With regards to excellent comic book superhero movies, Watchmen, Dredd, Avengers, Guardians, The Dark Knight would be the pinnacle of my list. Although Avengers is up there entirely because it's like a dream to see a movie of it.

Just watched Inbetweeners 2 today. Very funny film, I highly recommend it. I only watched a few episodes of the series and never watched the first movie, but I still enjoyed it a lot! And for those who watched it, the turd part was my absolute favourite haha I was in stitches!!

Edited by ismail-villa

The biggest issue with comic book films is that they are, by and large, predictable shite.

It's okay to enjoy a predictable film every once in a while, you know. Sometimes people just want something they can switch off to, have a few laughs and enjoy the spectacle. Did you not like comics and superheroes as a kid? It's fine if you didn't, but a lot of people did, hence why these superhero films are so popular nowadays.

Comics have been going for decades now, so older people enjoy superhero films because it takes them back to being a kid and it's amazing to see these characters you've loved for so many years up there on the big screen and in HD. And kids love them too for obvious reasons, so they're often an ideal family film.

If they're not your cup of tea then fair enough, but films like Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy are far from shite.

• Like 1

I watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes thought it was kind of cheesy although I guess that's what you get with modern Hollywood blockbusters, glad it was quite a short movie. Not great but don't mind that I watched it. Think I definitely preferred Gremlins. 

Edited by useless

Saw Guardians again as my brothers gf wanted to see that and not Inbetweeners. Even better on second viewing. Expendables 3 is basically as you expect, switch off for two hours and just enjoy the action.

Will probably see Inbetweeners next week with something else. Is Lucy out soon?

I'm sure I'd seen somewhere that expendables 3 has dropped from a 15 to a 12a, no more cgi blood! I'll no doubt see it when it comes on sky, the first two were awful and strangely enjoyable at the same time

Yeah it was a 12a. I agree with that too, bad but enjoyable.

Just noticed a great film on Film 4 tonight (saturday) at 1055pm.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil - it is stupidly brilliant and thoroughly tongue in cheek with the whole 'cabin in the woods' genre movies.

Very funny (IMO!)

• Like 4

It's better than Cabin in the Woods imo.

I watched a film called Stake Land (it's on Netflix). I enjoyed it, but it has an identity problem. At times it wants to be The Road, at times it wants to be a schlocky horror film. For the most part it works well, though, and it's certainly a good watch.

Â