The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Vanishing Point

A great little time capsule of a film with minimal plot* that I've watched countless times and watched again today.

I love everything about it, even the crowds of spectators perched on corners watching the stunt car action. Even the number of times Kowalski loses the front nearside hubcap only for it to be miraculously back in place in the next shot.

*plot: man has to deliver a car in a crazy timescale / he drives quite fast / police try to stop him / he drives quite fast / flashbacks show you how he became 'the delivery driver' / he drives quite fast

I think its X Men 2 that has one of my least favourite lines I've ever heard in a film. Hilariously terrible:

Nah, that was the first X-Men film. Ray Park wasn't in any of the others.

I'd agree with that -

X2, X3, all 5 recent Spider-Mans, both fantastic fours, both hulks, iron man 2, catwoman, daredevil, superman returns, the wolverine, xmen origins, green lantern, Elektra, blade 3, the 2 ghost riders, the 2 punishers... All pretty shit

Both thors, iron man, man of steel, and captain America are questionable

Iron man 3, captain America 2, xmen 1st class, blade 1&2, watchmen, were good

Batman 1&3, days of future past, Guardians and avengers are excellent

Dark knight is on another level

Overall though there is some way to go before comic book films tip the balance in to being generally "good" the strange thing being that I still go watch them all at the cinema...

For me it's:

Utter garbage: Catwoman, Spider-Man 3, Batman & Robin, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Elektra, Ghost Rider, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Crap: X-Men, X2, X3, The Wolverine, Batman Forever, Daredevil, Green Lantern, Blade 3, Hulk, Iron Man 3* - I haven't seen Punisher: War Zone but I suspect it'd slot in here

Decent but meh: Captain America, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, The Punisher (2004), Man of Steel, Blade, Blade 2, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Days of Future Past

Good: Thor, Thor: The Dark World, Batman, Batman Returns, Watchmen, Captain America: Winter Solider 

Awesome: Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy

*Iron Man 3 would have been better than Iron Man 2 if not for...

...the absolutely ridiculous handling of The Mandarin, which frankly made a mockery of a fantastic and very important enemy for Iron Man and the Avengers. I was disgusted by what they did to the character and for the fact they had Ben Kingsley doing it. Ridiculous.

I hate the Ironman character. And I mean the man bit, not when he's in the suit (I forget the character's name)

Its the worst sort of humour. Its genuinely what stops me putting Avengers from a good film to a great film. He was the worst part about it.

Relentless, cheesy, unfunny jokes.

Really? I usually hate cheesy stuff in films but RDJ's Tony Stark is one of the best bits of the franchise in my opinion. 

Edited by Ginko

Yeah, I don't like it.

He's not funny. Or at least in the Avengers he wasn't funny. I can't really remember Ironman to be fair.

But Avengers, urgh. Every time he says anything it's a shit joke. Just give it a rest!

• Like 1

Guardians of the Galaxy is great. Just a really fun film. A lot more comedic than I expected with some decent action sequences. Caharacters are great with Pratt and Cooper the stand outs.

• Like 1

Guardians of the Galaxy is great. Just a really fun film. A lot more comedic than I expected with some decent action sequences. Caharacters are great with Pratt and Cooper the stand outs.

It gets better each watch. Watched it 3 times now, have to say its the best of the Marvel films. It's just brings ones childhood back again.

I'm sure it'll please you all to know that Marvel (Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Guardians), Sony (Spider-Man), Fox (X-Men, Fantastic Four) and Warner Bros (Batman, Superman) have announced 30 dates between them by 2019. Then there's the 5 or so shows they'll have. This obviously doesn't include or comic addaptions such as Sin City, 300 Men In Black, Kick-Ass, Hellboy, etc.

I'm sure it'll please you all to know that Marvel (Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Guardians), Sony (Spider-Man), Fox (X-Men, Fantastic Four) and Warner Bros (Batman, Superman) have announced 30 dates between them by 2019. Then there's the 5 or so shows they'll have. This obviously doesn't include or comic addaptions such as Sin City, 300 Men In Black, Kick-Ass, Hellboy, etc.

Now this I gotta see

• Like 1

The Internship - 8/10

Yeah yeah I know. I do really like the Vaughan and Wilson combo. Funny in parts and a feel good flick. What more could you want (except tits)

Watched B.T.T.F yesterday .....has to be one of the best/memorable opening scenes in a movie .....ever

If they ever remake or 'reboot' it i'll cry! This film is my childhood  :)

Even the theme tune makes me squeal in delight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTGyeGgMpk8

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

No real surprise seeing as they already have the Disney movie channel but my father in law who works for sky has informed me that they are in pretty advanced talks over a marvel channel too

I liked the Dark Knight but the dialogue in the first film was risible. I haven't too much interest in the genre so can't see I've seen any of the other film on the above lists.

I quite liked Unbreakable if that counts as a superhero film.

The Internship - 8/10

Yeah yeah I know. I do really like the Vaughan and Wilson combo. Funny in parts and a feel good flick. What more could you want (except tits)

Hey what type of character did vince vaughan play in this film ........................................................................................

Â