Running

trimandson

I was pacing two friends today at Manchester Marathon, all going swimmingly until 23 miles when I went out the back and lost 2 mins in last 3 miles to run 3:01:30 and came very close to collapsing. Usually good with fuelling but couldn’t quite get all my breakfast down due to stomach being a bit off and being 1 1/2 stone over weight means I just wasn’t quite there with the fuel strategy.  Hopefully a GFA for London next year and can now concentrate on getting my weight down and do some racing in the summer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 28/03/2022 at 12:21, MCU said:

I know it's been briefly touched on above, but I did my first ever HR run last week. I'm not sure my garmin was all that accurate but I stayed in the aerobic/threshold zones (basically hovered around 165 bpm). Have to say, the run was so nice... no struggling for breath and actually enjoying it for a change. Is this an effective way of getting faster? It's no biggy, I just like to stay fit and healthy but usually I push myself a bit too much which actually makes me dislike running. I don't have goals as such because I only have chance to get out 1-2 times a week as I balance running with the gym.

I think it depends on what else you’re doing. How much other cardio and / or high intensity weight training?

The 80/20 rule (80% easy, 20% hard) is for all your physical activity and applies to multi sports (eg triathlon) as much as just running. It’s definitely helped me find more consistency (and more enjoyment!) by trying to stick to it.

4 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I was one of those people when I did my one and only marathon a few years ago. My half marathon time was consistently around 1hr50mins, so I assumed I’d do it in just over 4 hours.

It took me 5hrs40mins. :mellow:

My first marathon wasn't a lot better than that. Less than a year later I did my second and ran 3:31. It's definitely worth another go! 

• Like 2

Had a horrible 5km run yesterday. Managed to get there after a few stops in 32:54. Lot of work to do to get my time down to 25 minutes. Have definitely set myself a low bar to improve on.

Not running, I know, but certainly endurance training: I just did 31km cross country skiing. A personal best, length wise. My triceps were cramping so bad the last five k, I thought my arms would fall off. 

• Like 1

Just now, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

You a classic or skate guy? 

Both, and I have a full set for both, but for long distance it’s definitely classic. Can’t really skate for distance as my shins cramp up, and I’d have to live somewhere snowier to rack up enough mileage to build that up. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/04/2022 at 09:12, Hornso said:

Had a horrible 5km run yesterday. Managed to get there after a few stops in 32:54. Lot of work to do to get my time down to 25 minutes. Have definitely set myself a low bar to improve on.

Much better 2nd run. Helped that it was probably 10c cooler than last time. No walking and down to 30:22. Hopefully will be able to get it below 30 min in the new few attempts. Need to get out there more than once every 11 days though!

• 2 months later...

So I'm looking at taking up running since I don't do much else other than play football for an hour every Tuesday. My fitness needs work since I stopped gymming about 6 years ago. Figured I live right on the Netherton canals and nature reserve so might as well make use of the land.

Will probably download the couch to 5k to start with and slowly work my way up. Any tips from your long time runners? Any suggestions for a pair of starter running trainers?

Edited by Dante_Lockhart
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

So I'm looking at taking up running since I don't do much else other than play football for an hour every Tuesday. My fitness needs work since I stopped gymming about 6 years ago. Figured I live right on the Netherton canals and nature reserve so might as well make use of the land.

Will probably download the couch to 5k to start with and slowly work my way up. Any tips from your long time runners? Any suggestions for a pair of starter running trainers?

Couch 2 5k is a good place to start. Stick with it and don't worry if you have to repeat weeks because you struggled. It's good to have aims, so maybe look at going on to Parkrun from there. Remember, your progress won't always be a straight line, you'll have bad weeks and good weeks and times when you feel like you're going backwards. That's a normal part of the process. 

It's always best to go to a proper running shop and get an analysis before buying trainers. But if you don't want to do that Decathlon have some great value trainers to get you started.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

Couch 2 5k is a good place to start. Stick with it and don't worry if you have to repeat weeks because you struggled. It's good to have aims, so maybe look at going on to Parkrun from there. Remember, your progress won't always be a straight line, you'll have bad weeks and good weeks and times when you feel like you're going backwards. That's a normal part of the process. 

It's always best to go to a proper running shop and get an analysis before buying trainers. But if you don't want to do that Decathlon have some great value trainers to get you started.

Sound. I'll probably just get a cheap pair to start with and then in a few months if I stick with it pay for some better ones :)

38 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Sound. I'll probably just get a cheap pair to start with and then in a few months if I stick with it pay for some better ones :)

I'm doing my road running in the Kalenji Jogflow 500.1 from Decathlon at the moment. £35 and a very comfortable up to about 10 miles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I once ran a half marathon in Brum, on the day of the England QF in World Cup '18 - it topped out at 27c on the day, I think it got to about 25c when we were actually running. I finished it, slowly, and didn't find it unbearable or anything. Can't imagine running a considerable distance in 30c+ though

45 minutes ago, coda said:

Saw a few runners out yesterday afternoon. Tempted to go out this evening. Do any of ye run in these type of temperatures? 

I have done, with added humidity. It's not particularly enjoyable to be honest, and you'll likely be pretty slow.

If you do you do go out, make sure you're carrying a decent amount of water, wearing a hat and try to run somewhere with shade. Personally, I'm taking a couple of days off and will go out again tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, coda said:

Saw a few runners out yesterday afternoon. Tempted to go out this evening. Do any of ye run in these type of temperatures? 

Did a gentle 5km last night about 6.30pm. Might do the same this evening.

Last time I went for a run in similar temperatures was in Florida, mid-July 2019. Scorching heat and added humidity. It was brutal. Heading to Spain tomorrow and have brought my trainers, but we’ll see. They might not even be unpacked. 

For running, I prefer 10 degrees and a light drizzle. 

• 4 months later...

Well this thread's a bit dry!

I've currently got the bug again. I've been doing quite a few races and parkruns recently and my times are slowly getting back to what they were a few years ago. It can be tricky finding time to get out there with a toddler and baby at home, but it's doing me the world of good.

Speaking of parkrun, I read this article yesterday. I love what parkrun can do for people, I find things like this so inspiring.

https://blog.parkrun.com/nz/2022/10/23/i-am-doing-and-i-love-it/

On 19 August 2022, I gathered all of my courage and registered for parkrun. At just under 190 kilograms, the three ‘M’s were a daily battle; morbid obesity, mobility and mortality. I was literally at the point of ‘do or die’.

My husband, Darryl and daughter, Sophie are parkrunners. They’d told me so many times that it was for everyone: all ages, all sizes, all abilities. ‘Sure!’ I thought, ‘but not my size, not my ability.’ I was too embarrassed to even go to watch. Darryl reassured me that no one would judge.

So on 20 August, I turned up and did my first parkrun, well parkwalk! My husband was right (first time for everything!), I did not feel judged. In fact, I can honestly say that the parkrun community is one of the most inclusive, welcoming and encouraging communities I’ve ever experienced.

As it says in the article, she was determined to finish under an hour and she did it on Saturday, with a time of 59:59.

• Like 4

Â