Running

trimandson

5 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I just did this. It was horrible :lol:

I only managed 5 miles though, I had to head home because of stomach cramps. I think that’s the 3rd time I’ve had that whilst running that in the last few weeks, first time I’ve had to stop though.

I got a parkrun PB at the weekend though - 22:24. I took 8 seconds off the time I set in 2018, so I was really happy with that. 

Intervals do take some getting used to. Stick with them, they really do make you faster over time. 

And always carry a little packet of wet wipes on longer runs 🤣

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

Intervals do take some getting used to. Stick with them, they really do make you faster over time. 

And always carry a little packet of wet wipes on longer runs 🤣

I've had the runs on shorter runs, had to use leaves.

19 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I just did this. It was horrible :lol:

I only managed 5 miles though, I had to head home because of stomach cramps. I think that’s the 3rd time I’ve had that whilst running that in the last few weeks, first time I’ve had to stop though.

I got a parkrun PB at the weekend though - 22:14. I took 8 seconds off the time I set in 2018, so I was really happy with that. 

Great time that fella, well done. I'm aiming to get 23 something this weekend, whether I do or not remains to be seen! Which parkrun was that if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Risso said:

Great time that fella, well done. I'm aiming to get 23 something this weekend, whether I do or not remains to be seen! Which parkrun was that if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks man, it was at Chasewater. I like doing a bit of parkrun tourism, so that was my 44th different event. 

I wasn't really expecting a PB, just a great bonus of marathon training I think. I liked the course though, because it opens up quite quickly into wide paths. I hate parkruns where you're tripping over each others ankles for the first mile or so.

Good luck with yours, where you heading?

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 2

Rutland Water, it's our closest one. It's a really nice, scenic run, an out and back 2.5K each way. It does get a bit congested for the first kilometre, which can be annoying, as most people don't keep to the "stay left" requests. I've only been doing them (with my daughter) since the first week of Jan this year, so this weekend will be number 8, all done there. Once we get to ten, we're going to get going on the tourism, and will do the ones closest to here first, ie Market Harborough, Kettering and Peterborough. I'm up to 62% on the age grading now (50-54) but am getting to the point where I'm pretty well flat out, so any gains from now on will be small if at all. Like you, I've found the )half) marathon training really beneficial. My daughter (18) has as well, she's knocked 30 seconds off her PB every single week so far!

• Like 1

Whenever I get joggers nipple, I always assume it’ll be the last time. Why would you ever let that happen again? Just put plasters on or some Vaseline before your run. But nope, it still gets me occasionally.

IMG_1340.thumb.jpeg.17549d014e9397894ea3dbc1042f14e5.jpeg

• Shocked 3

30 minutes ago, phily85 said:

Is that really you?

can you write scuba steve on your chest to prove it

Yup, this was me last night.

I didn’t realise until I’d got home. Peeling off the tshirt wasn’t pleasant.

Did a 16K long run yesterday. Didn't enjoy it as I didn't fuel properly I don't think, and I also did it the day after a parkrun into which I put a fair bit of effort. Also did the 2K junior parkrun with my two daughers in the morning. Felt like every last bit of energy had been drained out of me. I think I therefore need to make sure we have a rest day, and also eat properly beforehand.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, andyjsg said:

Had to queue for an hour but just about to pickup my bib for Tokyo Marathon - been waiting/looking forward to this one for about 5 years….

I would love to do a major some day. Enjoy the experience! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

They are all amazing, I particularly liked Boston. This is no6/final one 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

They are all amazing, I particularly liked Boston. This is no6/final one 

I doubt I'll ever get to Boston or any of the US ones, but Tokoyo, Berlin or London would be great. Collecting all six is really something. 

1 hour ago, Danwichmann said:

I doubt I'll ever get to Boston or any of the US ones, but Tokoyo, Berlin or London would be great. Collecting all six is really something. 

Krakow my own route solo marathon for me and out

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

Same here, New York would be top of my list.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Krakow my own route solo marathon for me and out

Every time I do a marathon I think it'll be my last. But I still end up doing at least one a year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danwichmann said:

Every time I do a marathon I think it'll be my last. But I still end up doing at least one a year. 

I run almost every day, I've been meaning to post in here actually (or equally, things that cheer you up) about how immeasurable it is that running has helped me both physically and mentally. But I have no desire to run a marathon again. It would be good to get a time under 3 hours (rather than 3h20 something), as I don't see any other benchmarks worth aiming for, but the dedication required to do a half under 1h30 would not be even close enough and anyway that is beyond me now.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2024 at 21:01, Paddywhack said:

I had stomach cramps again on last night's run.

It's pretty much the same everytime, where the run doesn't go too well and I'm struggling a little, but with no pain, but then as soon as I stop my watch and start walking I'm on my knees holding my stomach. It's waves of intense pain about every 30 seconds for about 10-15 minutes after the run. It doesn't really seem anything to do with going to the toilet.

Trusty google tells me it's probably dehydration. 

Â