Running

trimandson

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 04/07/2021 at 17:23, mjmooney said:

Took the six year old granddaughter to Junior Parkrun this morning, over a year since her last one, due to the pandemic. 

She smashed her PB by over five minutes, and is absolutely buzzing. 

:)

I'm no longer event director at Bromsgrove juniors but I still help out. We started back up a few weeks ago and it was great seeing all the kids and adults having a good experience again. 5k parkrun just over a week away and I think that will really help lots of people out of this pit of despair lockdown has created.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

Did a 10k in this 30+ degree weather. It wasn't fast.....🥵

I was going to to that too. I packed it in after 3k. Impossible for me to run properly in this kind of heat. No shade or wind, either, just blistering sunshine and air you could slice with a knife.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had a small taste of competing against an actual athlete the other day. I went to a local track to do a 5k, and a recently retired professional footballer (played at the top level in both Norway and Sweden) from the area was there doing a few laps too. He must have lapped me at least three times and didn’t really look like he was pushing very hard either. 

A long, looong way to go. 

• 1 month later...

How do I buy running shoes? Mine are very old now, and I'm going to attribute a niggly little injury from the end of last year (which, sensibly, I just carried on running through) to them.

Are shoes for under and over pronation not a thing anymore? Haven't seen it mentioned in a guide...

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

How do I buy running shoes? Mine are very old now, and I'm going to attribute a niggly little injury from the end of last year (which, sensibly, I just carried on running through) to them.

Are shoes for under and over pronation not a thing anymore? Haven't seen it mentioned in a guide...

Go to proper running store that can put you on a treadmill and do a proper analysis. I think it's really the only way to make sure you get the right shoes. As long as they explain everything properly then next time you'll have a good idea what to look for without doing it again.

1 hour ago, Danwichmann said:

Go to proper running store that can put you on a treadmill and do a proper analysis. I think it's really the only way to make sure you get the right shoes. As long as they explain everything properly then next time you'll have a good idea what to look for without doing it again.

Well I thought that the last time, but it was so long ago that I can’t remember. Would rather buy online here since I might not be able to understand what they say to me in a shop if I can even find one with a treadmill. But I can’t see any information about the type of shoe besides trail or road, at least on the sites I looked.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Well I thought that the last time, but it was so long ago that I can’t remember. Would rather buy online here since I might not be able to understand what they say to me in a shop if I can even find one with a treadmill. But I can’t see any information about the type of shoe besides trail or road, at least on the sites I looked.

If you are have a lot of pronation or supination look for shoes that have a lot of support, and less cushioning. If you have only a little you can probably get away with a neutral shoe, which has a mix of support and cushioning. If you don't need any correction you can take a more cushioned shoe if you prefer it to the neutral. 

If the websites you are looking at don't tell you enough about the shoes, try looking some on a site like run repeat.com where they give all the details.

Edit: this is better advice than mine! https://runrepeat.com/guides/best-stability-running-shoes

Edited by Danwichmann
  • Thanks 1

Went for a run today with crew from basketball.

They all did 10km, I did 2.5km. They are Ugandan, Sudanese, and Somali. I am half Greek, and half Irish. My people have been retiring too young and drinking too much for too long and I am suffering the consequences I tells ya.

Edit: The Ugandan bloke did his 10km in just over 14 minutes.

Double Edit: The Ugandan bloke did not do that, he did 10 laps of a 400m track at 14 minutes, so I guess 30 minutes or so for the full 10km.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

Back in the game after a very boozy summer.

Having travelled this path many a time, running 3.1 miles (5k) at a pace I can’t keep up so having to stop. Monday and Wednesday done with 25mins but having to stop after about 2 miles.

Will be back running full 5ks by Monday I reckon and then will be moving to sun 7.45 minute miles.

(apologies for switch between k and miles. I run and time in miles but essentially aim for distance within 5-10k)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Edit: The Ugandan bloke did his 10km in just over 14 minutes.

Double Edit: The Ugandan bloke did not do that, he did 10 laps of a 400m track at 14 minutes, so I guess 30 minutes or so for the full 10km.

Haha, a 14 minute 10k would be a rather impressive and unbeatable world record by more than 12 minutes 😅

10 laps/4k in 14 minutes is still very, very good, but that pace would actually give you a 35 min 10k. Which is, again, really excellent, but nine (!) minutes behind the WR. 

What I’m trying to say is that, if you thought your friend was fast. Imagine how insanely fast the truly elite runners are? A 26 min 10k just seems absurdly impossible to me. I could barely match that pace at full sprint. Then I remember that my stepdad has a 10k PB under 30 mins, which is just minblowing to me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

Haha, a 14 minute 10k would be a rather impressive and unbeatable world record by more than 12 minutes 😅

10 laps/4k in 14 minutes is still very, very good, but that pace would actually give you a 35 min 10k. Which is, again, really excellent, but nine (!) minutes behind the WR. 

What I’m trying to say is that, if you thought your friend was fast. Imagine how insanely fast the truly elite runners are? A 26 min 10k just seems absurdly impossible to me. I could barely match that pace at full sprint. Then I remember that my stepdad has a 10k PB under 30 mins, which is just minblowing to me. 

Even just watching him run is impressive.

• 2 months later...

So, looking for some advice from experienced runners here. 

I am a short distance runner, I run about 70km per month and do lots of park runs and the odd 10k race. My 5k pb is 19:16 which I ran last month. In my weekly training I do a long run of 12km at 5min per k pace, a tempo run and speed work / intervals. I've now signed up for the Paris Marathon in April next year.

So I'm targeting a sub 4 hour time. I've got a few different training plans but they are either "beginners" ones where they assume you're not fit and this is you starting off to run a marathon and the "sub 4 hour" plans which assume you've run a marathon before and are trying to improve to sub 4 hour.

The issue is all the speeds in these are to me incredibly slow. running 5:40 per k for the 42k of a marathon is a very slow pace. My race 10k pace is 4:10 per k. I am going to use the sub 4 hour plan in terms of it's long run aspects peaking at 35k 4 weeks before the race then tapering. 

What I can't work out is how to start. 12k and 5m per k is my easy run, so should I drop the speed now to the Marathon goal pace and run an 18k or 20k run on fresh legs and see how it goes and adapt from there? 

Other thing I need to work on is the fact that fat burning as fuel is key for runs this length and maybe 90 min runs in the morning where my last meal was 5/6pm the previous day. This would get through energy stores sooner and train body to burn fat. These are not in the plans I looked at, but doing more aerobic fitness runs in these plans feels like a waste vs training for fat burning during race. 

Anyway, bit of a ramble. Hopefully someone experienced can give a bit of advice. Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I ran 7 miles this morning. Which brings my December total up to 100 miles (so far), which in turn means I’ve run at least 100 miles every month during 2021. 

I was aiming to do this at the start of the year after I realised I managed to run approximately 1,150 miles last year. A monthly total of 100 miles seemed the obvious target.

My running shoes have seen better days it has to be said.

I think that’s it for me with regards to yearly totals. I can’t imagine doing much more than that, time doesn’t really permit it and to be honest this year was a bit of a slog at times. I’d like to do a single 20 mile run at some point, but we’ll see.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 10:49, CVByrne said:

I am a short distance runner, I run about 70km per month and do lots of park runs and the odd 10k race. My 5k pb is 19:16 which I ran last month. In my weekly training I do a long run of 12km at 5min per k pace, a tempo run and speed work / intervals. I've now signed up for the Paris Marathon in April next year.

So I'm targeting a sub 4 hour time. I've got a few different training plans but they are either "beginners" ones where they assume you're not fit and this is you starting off to run a marathon and the "sub 4 hour" plans which assume you've run a marathon before and are trying to improve to sub 4 hour.

The issue is all the speeds in these are to me incredibly slow. running 5:40 per k for the 42k of a marathon is a very slow pace. My race 10k pace is 4:10 per k. I am going to use the sub 4 hour plan in terms of it's long run aspects peaking at 35k 4 weeks before the race then tapering. 

What I can't work out is how to start. 12k and 5m per k is my easy run, so should I drop the speed now to the Marathon goal pace and run an 18k or 20k run on fresh legs and see how it goes and adapt from there? 

Other thing I need to work on is the fact that fat burning as fuel is key for runs this length and maybe 90 min runs in the morning where my last meal was 5/6pm the previous day. This would get through energy stores sooner and train body to burn fat. These are not in the plans I looked at, but doing more aerobic fitness runs in these plans feels like a waste vs training for fat burning during race. 

Anyway, bit of a ramble. Hopefully someone experienced can give a bit of advice. Cheers

Bit late and possibly bad advice but I’d just try to maintain your pace and increase the distance slowly. No reason you shouldn’t be doing a sub 3 and a half hour marathon with your times as long as you can get used to the extra mileage.

On 10/12/2021 at 09:49, CVByrne said:

Hi mate, the big problem with training plans is what works for one person doesn’t work for another, and that’s regardless of pace / fitness… we’re all just built differently.

This is especially noticeable with marathon distances because if you try and do something that isn’t quite right for you, you’ll definitely get injured.

As it’s your first time pushing yourself this far, I would personally look into “run walk” training as a way to build up the mileage safely.

The reason I like it is you can do a long run of 1hr, 2hr, etc but you go a little bit quicker than a normal steady long run, which for me means I run with better form and more naturally. But the walking breaks (starting early on in the run - not when you’re gasping!) stop you from burning out and you can do some pretty impressive mileage without hurting yourself.

And no, run walk isn’t just for beginners. Plenty of athletes much quicker than you swear by it.

https://www.podiumrunner.com/training/how-run-walk-training-can-make-you-stronger-and-faster/

McGee excels at simple, strong explanations for his training beliefs. Here are a few of the key reasons why he endorses run-walk training:

1. Many talented “high octane” runners have trouble maintaining sufficient weekly mileage and doing healthy long runs. When they switch to “fractionalized” run-walk long runs, they fare much better.
  2. Experience has shown that a run-walk strategyallows runners to maintain pace more effectively, with less risk of muscle fatigue and bonking, than an all-run approach.
  3. On long runs where cardiac drift would normally gradually inch your heart rate upward, stressing the cardiovascular system — this happens especially in the heat — run-walk training provides an outlet that helps keep your heart rate in the desired range.
  4. The legs stay snappier, with less calf muscle cramping and more spring or “pop,” when they are allowed to recover during walk breaks. McGee says this has helped him increase the run-training mileage of Olympic-level triathletes without an equivalent increase in fatigue or injury risk.
  5. Big runners with muscular body types also have issues with long runs. McGee believes that run-walk gives them a better alternative.

McGee also notes that many midpack marathoners run too fast on their long runs. This can be corrected with a run-walk plan.

But as I say, give it a go and see how you get on. There’s plenty of good resources online with more info.

I think it will help you cope with this natural instinct to go quicker, but also ramp up your mileage without getting injured. Just gives you a bit more flexibility - and you can play around with pace vs run:walk ratio.

Edit: and just to be clear - you can take any existing plan you've got, and just make the long run into a run-walk session. Don't need to play about with the tempos, intervals, recoveries, etc.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

I go for months without posting, but this topic always manages to drag me back in....

On 10/12/2021 at 15:34, CVByrne said:

I would pretty much just keeping doing what you're doing, except for adding a long run once a week. Obviously, slower than your regular running, but once you've got in to the swing of them start adding some faster intervals. I think you could also aim for something closer to 3:30 given your 10km pace. 

9 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I ran 7 miles this morning. Which brings my December total up to 100 miles (so far), which in turn means I’ve run at least 100 miles every month during 2021. 

I was aiming to do this at the start of the year after I realised I managed to run approximately 1,150 miles last year. A monthly total of 100 miles seemed the obvious target.

My running shoes have seen better days it has to be said.

I think that’s it for me with regards to yearly totals. I can’t imagine doing much more than that, time doesn’t really permit it and to be honest this year was a bit of a slog at times. I’d like to do a single 20 mile run at some point, but we’ll see.

Congratulations on the big miles and the consistency. Targeting annual miles is an interesting one.  I did it last year with a target of 2000 miles. Although it was good to get lots of miles in and to have some target in the absence of races, I wound up doing a lot of pretty worthless junk miles that didn't help me progress as all. This year, I deliberately focused on quality of quality and have gone down to 1660 miles but am running much better and have had a couple of good races toward the end of the year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â