Running

trimandson

33 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Kipchoge has been saying for a while that this guy was gonna be the guy to beat him. I’m interested to see what he could do in Berlin as I personally think it’s a faster course (I ran faster in Chicago than Berlin but nothing to do with the course).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 19/01/2024 at 16:50, villa89 said:

Well done to the runners, spring loaded foam with carbon plates. Nike you've done it again.

Technology has always been developed though. I have carbon shoes but my 2:45 Marathon PB was in New Balance racing flats, is it illegitimate because I didn't run in sandals like they did 2000 years ago?

On more of an actual racing note, I have Tokyo in just less than 6 weeks, not quite where I should be fitness-wise (although hope to PB) but will be collecting my Abbot 6 star medal which has been an 8 year project...

I have and had running pals who have done Newport, described as not the prettiest (Industrial Estates - which was I how I described Manchester Marathon) but fast and flat - good luck!! 

Edited by andyjsg
Newport...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, andyjsg said:

Technology has always been developed though. I have carbon shoes but my 2:45 Marathon PB was in New Balance racing flats, is it illegitimate because I didn't run in sandals like they did 2000 years ago?

On more of an actual racing note, I have Tokyo in just less than 6 weeks, not quite where I should be fitness-wise (although hope to PB) but will be collecting my Abbot 6 star medal which has been an 8 year project...

I have and had running pals who have done Newport, described as not the prettiest (Industrial Estates - which was I how I described Manchester Marathon) but fast and flat - good luck!! 

I find this 75% inspiring, 25% sickening and making me want to throw my garmin in a canal and never run again.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I find this 75% inspiring, 25% sickening and making me want to throw my garmin in a canal and never run again.

Does me saying Im 45 make this better or worse? 

BUT, I have a friend who didn't think he would ever crack 4 hours looking at attempting sub 3 at Tokyo. Its amazing how quickly the perspective shifts once running 5+ times a week - joining a club (preferably ones with serious runners) makes a huge difference. a few years ago I was aiming for < 1:45 half, ran just over 1:19 yesterday and it was a terrible race for me (had some sort of stomach bug all week).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Don't worry mate. The thought of driving 26 miles wears me out! :D 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, andyjsg said:

Does me saying Im 45 make this better or worse? 

BUT, I have a friend who didn't think he would ever crack 4 hours looking at attempting sub 3 at Tokyo. Its amazing how quickly the perspective shifts once running 5+ times a week - joining a club (preferably ones with serious runners) makes a huge difference. a few years ago I was aiming for < 1:45 half, ran just over 1:19 yesterday and it was a terrible race for me (had some sort of stomach bug all week).

Wow, fair play! I think that makes me feel better actually. You’ve got 9 years on me, so my kids won’t want anything to do with me when I’m 45, it’ll be easier to find time to train.

I already feel a bit of a shit when I turn to my wife every few days and say I’m going for a run, see you in a couple of hours, good luck with the nappies. 

Doing Paris Marathon in April for 3rd year in a row. 3h33m and then 3h18m last year when I had a cold. Aiming for under 3h10m this year hopefully. I feel a little behind on the training but it's a week later this year because of Easter so will be fine. I'm glad the weather is warmer now. 

I think sub 3h is doable but need to lower lactate threshold with a different training plan and maybe run an easy course like Edinburgh which is down hill and then flat. 

• Like 2

On 19/01/2024 at 14:50, Paddywhack said:

I've just signed up for my second ever marathon in Newport on 28th April. Obviously I was very eager to give it another go, I've only waited nearly 6 and a half years.

I came back to read this post to remind myself of how disappointed I was last time and to take training seriously. You get what you deserve.

14 week training block starts Monday. Let's go!

seeya-2020.gif

Make sure to not just do long slow runs. You need some faster runs in there too. 

53 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Wow, fair play! I think that makes me feel better actually. You’ve got 9 years on me, so my kids won’t want anything to do with me when I’m 45, it’ll be easier to find time to train.

I already feel a bit of a shit when I turn to my wife every few days and say I’m going for a run, see you in a couple of hours, good luck with the nappies. 

I have a 3 year old but yeah the wife has to take the hit for me training sort of 8-9 hours a week.

For marathon training plan I would highly recommend something around this: Advanced Marathoning https://amzn.eu/d/c2RGFIX - we run an 18 week adapted version of this for the spring marathon runners in our club (getting 30+ turning up to sessions currently). But yes need the fast stuff, staring with LTP sessions and then onto reps (which is where I am at the moment - got 6x1k Thursday night, supposed to be 5k pace but I always attempt to smash them).

• Like 1

Interesting reading all these impressive marathon times. This is no sales plug, but I'm working for an app at the moment called Run Kaizen. It seems good to me as it provides an accurate race prediction, based on an algorithm and some science that is way above my head, allows you to make a race target time then breaks down the training load you need each week in order to make that target for your specific race. (There's a free trial fyi)

I do the blog at the moment among other things so this spiel rolls off the proverbial tongue a little. I'm considering the Madrid marathon in April having only started running properly again in November and I find the training load presented in a simplified form interesting. (Just did a 14k yesterday and average about 25k a week).

I'm sharing more than anything. I get no money for their subscribers, but I also find it interesting what more advanced runners think about the app. 

Edited by Rolta

Until two weeks ago I hadn't run since August! I was missing it and have now started the new year with three quick pace runs of 45 minutes, along the canals. Back on track ! :)

On Sunday afternoon it was a challenging one, it was really pouring but cold too and with the rain blowing towards me, brrr. My top was very soon absolutely soaking and I had to do the whole run extra fast in order not to get too cold. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Managed to get a spot for the Oresunds bridge race between Denmark and Sweden in 2025. Gold-dust tickets as there has only been about 6 races since it got built,  with the last one in 2010.

As a fan of bridges I'm actually buzzing.

cbfsirwqrqi51.jpg

1UFH4oV.png

That's very cool and I'd love to do a race like that. But it looks like part of it is underground? That's going to mess with your Strava stats! 

• Haha 1

Blimey some of those marathon times above are mental you lot! Just signed up for my first ever half marathon in April, the London Landmarks one. I'm nothing like anywhere close to the sorts of serious times you lot manage though, and I'll be pleased with anything under 2 hours. Me and my eldest daughter signed up to a Couch to 5K club last summer, and she's doing the half with me. We do the local parkrun at Rurland Water every week now, and did a 10K race in November. We're following a ten week programme for the half, and I'm going to try for a 5K PB at the parkrun of under 25 mins this weekend.

• Like 4

I've barely done anything since snapping my achillies in 2020. Started running 3k twice a week and the soles of my feet are absolutely killing me. 

I've never really ever just done running. It was always playing a sport. Bit annoyed as I was genuinely motivated and now had to stop till this pain eases up. Its been over a week. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2024 at 13:39, DCJonah said:

I've barely done anything since snapping my achillies in 2020. Started running 3k twice a week and the soles of my feet are absolutely killing me. 

I've never really ever just done running. It was always playing a sport. Bit annoyed as I was genuinely motivated and now had to stop till this pain eases up. Its been over a week. 

Are they sore as in rubbing, or just aching from the phyical effort? If the latter than maybe get some ultra-cushioned running shoes. Always worth going to a proper running shop for good advice and/or gait analysis.

Â