Running

trimandson

Yes! @M_Allback_14, paying extra for a decent pair of trainers is absolutely worth it. If you can, buy them somewhere that has a treadmill and a bit of expertise - getting the right shoe for you is so important to get the most out of your running. 

I broke a bit of a barrier myself today. Did a sub 25min 5k, which I rarely do and haven’t really trained for. Having mostly done weights (and lots of it!) over winter, I’m about a stone over my ideal running weight. To then do my best 5k in a few years feels damn good and bodes well for the spring season. I usually do my best running mid spring and mid autumn. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

Yes! @M_Allback_14, paying extra for a decent pair of trainers is absolutely worth it. If you can, buy them somewhere that has a treadmill and a bit of expertise - getting the right shoe for you is so important to get the most out of your running. 

I broke a bit of a barrier myself today. Did a sub 25min 5k, which I rarely do and haven’t really trained for. Having mostly done weights (and lots of it!) over winter, I’m about a stone over my ideal running weight. To then do my best 5k in a few years feels damn good and bodes well for the spring season. I usually do my best running mid spring and mid autumn. 

Well done! 25 mins is about my limit as well speed wise for 5km - today’s run came in at 58 mins 

I will get myself in to have that done then - I’ve never lifted a weight in my life but I’m about as healthy/fit as I’ve been so who knows I might get the itch to try those at some point 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

Weirdly, I found my 5k times improved when I started doing one upper body HIIT workout with weights per week. Guess it helps to keep the weight down and cardio fitness up, while resting your legs.

Before I was doing full body HIIT with lots of squats and other leg exercises, and was struggling to combine that with running.

But yeah, a little bit of cross training and strength training is good for your running!

43 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Weirdly, I found my 5k times improved when I started doing one upper body HIIT workout with weights per week. Guess it helps to keep the weight down and cardio fitness up, while resting your legs.

Before I was doing full body HIIT with lots of squats and other leg exercises, and was struggling to combine that with running.

But yeah, a little bit of cross training and strength training is good for your running!

Oh, absolutely, no doubt. But I’ve been gained too much muscle for running, and should probably trim off about half a stone before summer. I’ve been hitting the gym 5-6 days a week lately, but will be scaling that back to 3-4 once the weather gets a little warmer and the running track opens again. Probably will be doing 3 days weights and 3 days running/week. 

I’ll never be a fast runner, but consistently sitting around 25min for a 5k should be doable, and good enough for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M_Allback_14 said:

Well done! 25 mins is about my limit as well speed wise for 5km - today’s run came in at 58 mins 

I will get myself in to have that done then - I’ve never lifted a weight in my life but I’m about as healthy/fit as I’ve been so who knows I might get the itch to try those at some point 

Weight lifting is ace. Do it! 

Check out the gym routine thread if you need pointers. Or just google stronglifts 5x5 for a simple programme that will give you all you need for the first few months! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

My 24 minute 5k seems  years away after having covid twice now. I have 2 10k booked in the spring and I've barely run for a year this isn't going to end well is it 🤣😭

Take it easy mate - took me ages to get back to my old pace after Covid. Just enjoy the run, set some new targets, forget about what you did before. You’ll get there eventually but it might take longer than you want it to

• Like 1

Question for anyone who owns a Garmin

Just did a very hilly 10k trail which was harder than expected and I went quicker than intended because I set out late and needed to get home

My watch now telling me my training status is “overreaching”.

I’m sure it’s right - I do feel pretty dead and have done a lot of running / gym this week.

Just wondering what best approach is to managing it now? Should I have 2-3 days off?

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Question for anyone who owns a Garmin

Just did a very hilly 10k trail which was harder than expected and I went quicker than intended because I set out late and needed to get home

My watch now telling me my training status is “overreaching”.

I’m sure it’s right - I do feel pretty dead and have done a lot of running / gym this week.

Just wondering what best approach is to managing it now? Should I have 2-3 days off?

Listen to your body, not your Garmin. It can be a useful guide but go according to what you think your body needs.

Out of interest, which Garmin is that? I have body battery on mine but nothing that's ever told me I'm over reaching.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

Listen to your body, not your Garmin. It can be a useful guide but go according to what you think your body needs.

Out of interest, which Garmin is that? I have body battery on mine but nothing that's ever told me I'm over reaching.

Forerunner 245 Music

First time it’s ever told me this. It was definitely a harder run than I’d planned on doing, but I haven’t picked up any niggles 

One thing I’m thinking is my last few runs have been very muddy off road trails so maybe it got confused by the pace suddenly increasing on a harder trail

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I made a momentous decision. 

I'm not renewing my running club membership. 

Must be four or five years now, I've been paying my subs in the vague pretence that I'm still a runner. Never go to the Tuesday training sessions, never enter any races. I've been to the annual social for a few beers, and found I've recognised fewer people each time. 

I don't run. Three days a week I'm looking after grandchildren, which leaves me knackered. My spare time I spend with the missus or non-running friends. I do music stuff (seeing local bands, writing and recording, open mic gigs). I'm not a runner, and I haven't been one for several years, but it's only now I'm admitting it to myself. And it makes me feel rather sad. 

I'd still like to get back to doing a couple of short runs a week, purely for fitness (mental and physical) reasons, but whether I will remains to be seen. Proper training, PBs, races, all that? It's over. 

What about cycling in your free time? Bit less strenuous on those days where you want to run but are knackered after looking after the grandkiddies

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

What about cycling in your free time? Bit less strenuous on those days where you want to run but are knackered after looking after the grandkiddies

No way in a million years. I'd be dead within the week. 

• Haha 2

I will be tapering after a 10K tomorrow for Manchester Marathon in 2 weeks, lots of weeks of injury early in marathon training and my lack of self control means Im too heavy to be running PBs but still hope to put down a decent time but I'm probably a couple of months away to be back to my great condition from October last year.

Still means hopefully a good summer of racing and then try and get back into shape for Amsterdam marathon in October.

• Like 3

Anyone tried Maffetone running before? Basically keeping your heart rate below 180 minus your age.

Just did a 10k MAF run today... very slow, but think I can see how it works... very gentle on your legs, and definitely feel like I'll be able to increase my mileage a lot doing this.

Â