Running

trimandson

9 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

King of the Mountain by default is still King of the Mountain!

Have you tried the AllTrails app? I did a search and Nepal is on its list of "supported countries", but I don't entirely know how their local and regional catalogues are built—whether they're based on global mapping or user input. It might be worth a shot.

Yeah, it's got a few trails in the tourist areas but nothing near me. But I've been exploring here for 3 years so I know the trails pretty well and the general area well enough to explore with reasonable confidence. Only been scarily lost once so far! 

• Like 1

Just now, Danwichmann said:

Yeah, it's got a few trails in the tourist areas but nothing near me. But I've been exploring here for 3 years so I know the trails pretty well and the general area well enough to explore with reasonable confidence. Only been scarily lost once so far! 

I envy you! I had the opportunity to explore a bit (and get scarily lost) when I lived in Israel, but most of my running has been urban and urban adjacent with little opportunity to branch out beyond the well trodden—not that running isn't a fun way to learn a new city. One of these days, when the world opens back up, I'm hoping to be able to travel and explore the unknown again.

• 2 weeks later...

18th run of the year yesterday, started February 27th. Pretty decent I think.

Had my first 8 miles run of the year and it's almost too much for me. Didn't struggle, but my knees really don't like 8 miles on asphalt. Can feel it a lot today.

I will do the same route one more time though, cause I think the first time running a new route is always the worst. And you know the second time, that's when the medals and PRs arrive :=)

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Hayfever and warmer weather is really slowing me down right now. I won’t be setting any decent times anytime soon, I think. 

Guess this says a lot about Norwegians, but since it's been 12 degrees and sunny, the heat while running has been absolutely killing me. Last 3 runs I've had to wear my camelback and been absolutely soaked when I get home, and the pace I'm able to hold is really poor.

• Haha 1

Had a week off running due to some family stuff. Went back this week and have clocked 27 km over 3 runs. Pretty happy with that as I'm not a big runner.

The plan was to keep this going until I can go back into the gym, but I must say I enjoy running more and more. I'm slightly worried I'll keep doing it. But I guess 3 days lifting and 3 days running a week is doable.

I've entered a race for August thought which should be fun. Currently I'm having some knee issues on long runs (10 km ish) and run 10 clicks in 60 minutes. I'm gonna try and move past that this coming weekend. Taking two rest days now and will try to get down to 50 minutes on 10 km on Sunday. I have absolutely no idea if I will be capable of doing it, but might as well try.

Just hope there's no wind on Sunday. I had a 7 km run yesterday and it's the first time I've noticed how sucky it is with headwinds. Running up hill with headwinds, was awful.

• Like 2

Just had my second run of the year with my new Hoka Clifton 7 and not feeling any discomfort in my knee or ankle.

Had to start from scratch again as my right leg been all kinds of trouble with the knee, calf muscle and outside of the foot all being sore and aching all winter. 

Got the shoes a couple weeks ago but managed 1 "run" and a couple of walks before I got a stomach bug and been sick for a week :D  But today felt fine and managed about 6 km (at snail pace) in the woods without stopping or feeling that I lost stability in the knees. So as Borat would say: great success.

Gonna take it extremely cautious this time so I don't have a repeat of last year when I went far too hard far too early and messed up both knees. 

But main thing was the shoes felt great and the knees feel fine. Not even bothered about time or distance.

Need some advice on how to build my stamina back.  I've been doing the C25K but had a week off after my 1st covid jab kicked my arse.  Previously I'd gotten up to 25 mins (i know it's not a lot compared to most of you!) but now I'm struggling to get much over 15 mins.   I've thought about don't a week of shorter runs starting at 15 mins then building up by 90 seconds a day.  Do you think that might help or is there something else I can be doing to help regain my stamina?

6 hours ago, dubbs said:

Need some advice on how to build my stamina back.  I've been doing the C25K but had a week off after my 1st covid jab kicked my arse.  Previously I'd gotten up to 25 mins (i know it's not a lot compared to most of you!) but now I'm struggling to get much over 15 mins.   I've thought about don't a week of shorter runs starting at 15 mins then building up by 90 seconds a day.  Do you think that might help or is there something else I can be doing to help regain my stamina?

Just take your time. Go back the last week in C25K that has something around 15 minutes as the longest run and start from there.

It's frustrating but it's normal. Through the last 2 months I've lost loads of running, to 2 lots of food poisoning and severe pollution. I've always gone backwards after these but I just run what I can afterwards and the fitness comes back quickly enough. Now I've got lockdown and I'm not sure outdoor running will be allowed, so loads of indoor strength work, cardio and maybe try some yoga for me.

• Thanks 1

Added to my basketball workout:

For agility: 4 sets of the T-drill, 30 seconds rest between sets.

For speed: 4 sets of the 10-in-1 drill (total of ten 30 meter sprints in under one minute), rest five minutes between sets.

On 30/04/2021 at 02:39, Danwichmann said:

Just take your time. Go back the last week in C25K that has something around 15 minutes as the longest run and start from there.

It's frustrating but it's normal. Through the last 2 months I've lost loads of running, to 2 lots of food poisoning and severe pollution. I've always gone backwards after these but I just run what I can afterwards and the fitness comes back quickly enough. Now I've got lockdown and I'm not sure outdoor running will be allowed, so loads of indoor strength work, cardio and maybe try some yoga for me.

I'm going to take your advice.  I tried to continue with the weeks runs i was supposed to do and have failed about 4 times in a row so it's time to reduce the goal a little and start hitting the targets each time.  This would be so much easier with someone to run with!

Have kept up with my ‘running’ and managing at least four 5k runs a week now. Set myself a personal goal of running sub 30 minutes by the end of may and this morning ran 29:43 😁

now to maintain that and aim for my next goal of sub 28 minutes by the end of June. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Have kept up with my ‘running’ and managing at least four 5k runs a week now. Set myself a personal goal of running sub 30 minutes by the end of may and this morning ran 29:43 😁

now to maintain that and aim for my next goal of sub 28 minutes by the end of June. 

General rule is to run faster to get faster, so to improve 5k you would do 4or800 reps with a couple of mins recovery so you can run as fast as you can.

8 months out and I’m back running again and nearly 2 years since I was in decent shape. Going to take time to build up again but nice to be able to run a bit. Decided to check my weight and I’m 50lbs heavier (weird as I don’t look it).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, andyjsg said:

General rule is to run faster to get faster, so to improve 5k you would do 4or800 reps with a couple of mins recovery so you can run as fast as you can.

8 months out and I’m back running again and nearly 2 years since I was in decent shape. Going to take time to build up again but nice to be able to run a bit. Decided to check my weight and I’m 50lbs heavier (weird as I don’t look it).

Good suggestion and great you’re back running after quite a while out ! 

I’ve actually toyed with the idea of a few sessions at the local 400m running track to do that and improve my ‘sprint’ speed which has abandoned me in the last few years. 

36 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Good suggestion and great you’re back running after quite a while out ! 

I’ve actually toyed with the idea of a few sessions at the local 400m running track to do that and improve my ‘sprint’ speed which has abandoned me in the last few years. 

Careful on the track, start small as can give you calf problems quite quickly. Strides are the one, not so much about all out speed as just getting yourself striding out.

• Thanks 1

Â