Running

trimandson

25 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Anyone tried Maffetone running before? Basically keeping your heart rate below 180 minus your age.

Just did a 10k MAF run today... very slow, but think I can see how it works... very gentle on your legs, and definitely feel like I'll be able to increase my mileage a lot doing this.

I’m not sure how scientific that is as different people at the same age and fitness could have very different HR. I mean i am mid-40s this would be what I do most of my running at. Anything that wasn’t a session or race would be that sort of HR for me. I would say possibly even another 10bpm down from that for what would be “recovery” effort.

interesting 10k for me yesterday, I was within 2 minutes of my PB at 20lbs (10% of my body weight) over my racing weight.

Edited by andyjsg
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

I’m not sure how scientific that is as different people at the same age and fitness could have very different HR. I mean i am mid-40s this would be what I do most of my running at. Anything that wasn’t a session or race would be that sort of HR for me. I would say possibly even another 10bpm down from that for what would be “recovery” effort.

interesting 10k for me yesterday, I was within 2 minutes of my PB at 20lbs (10% of my body weight) over my racing weight.

There's a bit more info here https://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/

The MAF 180 Formula for determining your MAF HR

Subtract your age from 180, then modify from one of the categories below:

• If you have or are recovering from a major illness (heart disease, any operation or hospital stay, etc.), are in rehabilitation, are on any regular medication, or are in Stage 3 (chronic) overtraining (burnout), subtract an additional 10.
  • If you are injured, have regressed or not improved in training (such as poor MAF Tests) or competition, get more than two colds, flu or other infections per year, have seasonal allergies or asthma, are overfat, are in Stage 1 or 2 of overtraining, or if you have been inconsistent, just starting, or just getting back into training, subtract an additional 5.
  • If you have been training consistently (at least four times weekly) for up to two years without any of the problems mentioned in a) or b), no modification is necessary (use 180 minus age as your MAF HR).
  • If you have been training for more than two years without any of the problems listed above, have made progress in your MAF Tests, improved competitively and are without injury, add 5.

Exemptions:

• The MAF 180 Formula may need to be further individualized for athletes over the age of 65. For some, up to 10 beats may have to be added for those only in category (d) of the Formula. This does not mean 10 should automatically be added, but that an honest self-assessment be made.
  • For athletes 16 years of age and under, the formula is not applicable; rather, an MAF HR of 165 has been used.

I don't actually monitor the heart rate actively while I'm running, I just chew gum and if I can't comfortably chew gum and run, I slow down until I'm comfortable again. It seems to work looking back at the heart rate recorded (average 136bpm, peaking briefly around 144bpm which is just 1 over my 180-37).

18 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

There's a bit more info here https://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/

I don't actually monitor the heart rate actively while I'm running, I just chew gum and if I can't comfortably chew gum and run, I slow down until I'm comfortable again. It seems to work looking back at the heart rate recorded (average 136bpm, peaking briefly around 144bpm which is just 1 over my 180-37).

Easy, Ty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

First run since early November this morning, managed 5k in just over 26 mins, a few minutes slower than I was managing a few months ago, although I took it fairly easy.

Towards the end of last year I was in pretty good shape, managed a 10k in around 47 mins which is the best I've ever done. Hopefully won't take long getting back to that.

Definitely got the motivation back after this morning - funny how the build up to the first run is horrible but once you've got it out the way you get the buzz back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

First run since early November this morning, managed 5k in just over 26 mins, a few minutes slower than I was managing a few months ago, although I took it fairly easy.

Towards the end of last year I was in pretty good shape, managed a 10k in around 47 mins which is the best I've ever done. Hopefully won't take long getting back to that.

Definitely got the motivation back after this morning - funny how the build up to the first run is horrible but once you've got it out the way you get the buzz back.

Those Endorphins are like crack, I get proper cranky if I don't run (or alternative) for a few days.

I would always recommend Parkrun if you want to test yourself, I know its a "community weekly 5K run", but is a race if you want it to be, just don't kick little kids out of the way if the course has laps 🙂 With a week to go for me until Manchester I will use it as a blow-out to wake the body up before the usual week before a marathon where I think I have the flu and my legs are going to fall off.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

Those Endorphins are like crack, I get proper cranky if I don't run (or alternative) for a few days.

I would always recommend Parkrun if you want to test yourself, I know its a "community weekly 5K run", but is a race if you want it to be, just don't kick little kids out of the way if the course has laps 🙂 With a week to go for me until Manchester I will use it as a blow-out to wake the body up before the usual week before a marathon where I think I have the flu and my legs are going to fall off.

Massively! I was off the drink for 3 months towards the end of last year, running regularly and playing football twice a week. Physical and mental health was much better than at probably any other point in my adult life.

I was considering signing up for the Sutton Fun Run but think I might have left it a bit late for this year, I might sign up for a 10k over the next few months though. I generally always run the same route, so would definitely be good to challenge myself somewhere else 

1 hour ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Massively! I was off the drink for 3 months towards the end of last year, running regularly and playing football twice a week. Physical and mental health was much better than at probably any other point in my adult life.

I was considering signing up for the Sutton Fun Run but think I might have left it a bit late for this year, I might sign up for a 10k over the next few months though. I generally always run the same route, so would definitely be good to challenge myself somewhere else 

I will always recommend getting into a competitive environment to boost PRs, I ran a good 10K last Sunday even though I am about 20lbs over my usual racing weight and it was purely out of stubbornness and trying to keep my mate in sight did I run as fast as I did.

• Thanks 1

On the subject of endorphins, I've found that reducing my alcohol intake and eating healthier, combined with doing a lot more easy / low heartrate runs, I get that strong endorphin buzz most times I run now.

Whereas before I was trying to push quite hard (or very hard!) on most runs and often running through a hangover. It still worked to clear the hangover out of my system, but it was much more of a mental struggle.

As much as its nice to occasionally empty the tank and see what you can do, those easy runs where you've got a bit left in the tank at the end just leave you feeling great, especially on a nice day.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KentVillan said:

On the subject of endorphins, I've found that reducing my alcohol intake and eating healthier, combined with doing a lot more easy / low heartrate runs, I get that strong endorphin buzz most times I run now.

Whereas before I was trying to push quite hard (or very hard!) on most runs and often running through a hangover. It still worked to clear the hangover out of my system, but it was much more of a mental struggle.

As much as its nice to occasionally empty the tank and see what you can do, those easy runs where you've got a bit left in the tank at the end just leave you feeling great, especially on a nice day.

My marathon training is 80-90% easy/recovery pace - just lots of it.

Managed to rile up a couple of mates to race me at parkrun today, I enjoy a bit of healthy competition, plus I won that little battle (a 17 year old who was fastest this morning was about 2 1/2 minutes quicker than me and I came 4th - seriously rapid)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

My marathon training is 80-90% easy/recovery pace - just lots of it.

Managed to rile up a couple of mates to race me at parkrun today, I enjoy a bit of healthy competition, plus I won that little battle (a 17 year old who was fastest this morning was about 2 1/2 minutes quicker than me and I came 4th - seriously rapid)

Yeah I'm trying to follow the 80/20 rule now. Bit hard sometimes to rein it in, but notice the benefits when I do go quicker

Saw Tristian Miller speak for the 2nd time with work a couple of weeks back (ran 52 marathons in a year, travelling all over the world. Engaging speaker) and its encouraged me to get back into running.

Struggle with the fact that 10 years ago I did a 5km PB of 21:30 and now I'd be lucky to run 3.5km in that time. Playing football this year so am going to try and get in a couple of 5km runs in each week to help lose some weight and feel better about myself. Goal will be to run 5km in 25 minutes by the end of the year, will keep track of it in here as long as it doesn't annoy anyone!

I know it's been briefly touched on above, but I did my first ever HR run last week. I'm not sure my garmin was all that accurate but I stayed in the aerobic/threshold zones (basically hovered around 165 bpm). Have to say, the run was so nice... no struggling for breath and actually enjoying it for a change. Is this an effective way of getting faster? It's no biggy, I just like to stay fit and healthy but usually I push myself a bit too much which actually makes me dislike running. I don't have goals as such because I only have chance to get out 1-2 times a week as I balance running with the gym.

38 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Did another 5k this morning and managed to do it in 25.15, so a minute faster than last week's effort. Definitely got the buzz back and planning on taking @andyjsg advice and doing Cannon Hill Park run next Saturday 

Its amazing what a little consistency in running can do to your times, after that it is doing specific sessions (5 x800m reps is a golden one for 5k - I am a coach for the adult road/trail runners at the local athletics club so I have lots of this sort of stuff if anyone wants session recommendations).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MCU said:

I know it's been briefly touched on above, but I did my first ever HR run last week. I'm not sure my garmin was all that accurate but I stayed in the aerobic/threshold zones (basically hovered around 165 bpm). Have to say, the run was so nice... no struggling for breath and actually enjoying it for a change. Is this an effective way of getting faster? It's no biggy, I just like to stay fit and healthy but usually I push myself a bit too much which actually makes me dislike running. I don't have goals as such because I only have chance to get out 1-2 times a week as I balance running with the gym.

So HR is a difficult one as everyone is different, my max HR is like 185 but I only ever see it when I'm not very fit and trying to race (usually cross country), at the moment I imagine its probably high 170s (I hit 171 at the weekend during 5K/parkrun but I wasnt quite at that "I need to stop running now feeling")

The only way in reality of finding out your max HR is battering yourself to the point you need to stop (but over a decent period of time so like 15 minutes gradually upping the effort). From there you can work out effort for BPM.

As for what works, its really about mixing it up, I mean just on a basic level, just going on a mostly easy run with a few efforts (i.e. run the hill as hard as possible for 30secs/1 minute) will give you improvements without turning into proper training sessions.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

So I ran a 3:32:13 GPS time and 3:33:49 official time for the Paris Marathon there. Very happy with that for a first marathon.

I was expecting to hit the wall and never did. Big lesson learnt that everyone massively over estimates their time. I was passing hundreds and hundreds of people every few km for the whole race. Weaving in and out added 350m to my total distance. Next time I'll pick a time 30m faster than I'll run to avoid this

Congratulations, that's an awesome marathon time, especially if it's your first attempt at that distance. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Big lesson learnt that everyone massively over estimates their time. I was passing hundreds and hundreds of people every few km for the whole race. Weaving in and out added 350m to my total distance. Next time I'll pick a time 30m faster than I'll run to avoid this

I was one of those people when I did my one and only marathon a few years ago. My half marathon time was consistently around 1hr50mins, so I assumed I’d do it in just over 4 hours.

It took me 5hrs40mins. :mellow:

Â